PDA

View Full Version : best for me: 8700 vs tmob mda/ 8125

eddively
02-14-2006, 10:43 PM
i got a 7100t last year, now i want to try and keep my laptop at home and use my mobile device as PDA, phone and word processing.

I will get one of the laser bluetooth keyboards (which rock) and do regular wP (does not need to be Word format, just typing) taking notes in class daily (sometimes several classes a day.

I want phone, web, PIM and WP.

Now that the 8700 is much more powerful (mhz, etc...) does its ability to do WP improve over previous models? is there any enhanced software?

Knowing these things, should my next upgrade be the 8700 or MDA.

I like the native office suite of the MDA and i loooove getting my email easy on my blackberry.

i have a mac, and to me that makes the blackberry more compatible, but they both do work.

thoughts?

cjhp
02-14-2006, 11:00 PM
I am expecting my BB8700C anyday now and I also would be interested in hearing about WP and/or note taking on the BB. I have a PDA and use it often in meetings to take notes and such. I would be interested to see if anyone does this on the BB. J...

RoadRider
02-15-2006, 06:42 AM
eOffice should do what you need, but, $$$$$!

mgerbasio
02-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Blackberry 8700c is an excellent phone missing one feature, voice dialing. It is an excellent device to use secure email from a MS Exchange server, missing (out of the box) spell check and support for html email.

It is a passable PDA if you add PocketDay software. Out of the box it doesn't have any MS Office applications. I don't think it supports the laser keyboards, I read an early review of bluetooth keyboards but it wasn't good. For text notes you can use the memopad but the size of the text note is limited.

The blackberry doesn't have a memory card so you can't bring along pdf, office docs or text files to read or edit later. Bluetooth is limited. The MDA is probably a better fit for you.

Regards-Michael G.

jddphd
02-15-2006, 09:13 AM
I too am struggling with this one. I'm trying to figure out if there's a "showstopper" in the choice between the MDA and the 8700. I have a 7100t and I love it, but if the MDA can directly sync with my work email (we don't have BES, but the MDA can do activesync so that my calendar is updated automagically) then I'm kind of inclined to go this route.

Is there anything the MDA can't do that the 8700 can? The only thing I can think of is needing to protect the touch screen since I'm not a holster guy (I don't believe in wearing my technology - it goes in my pocket if possible.)

blkberryboy
02-15-2006, 09:22 AM
Is there anything the MDA can't do that the 8700 can?

Yes, the 8700 has a fairly stable software package, compared to a new update of a bug filled os...I would go BLACKBERRY for the near term based on the software issue. In 6 months to a year I would give the Windows Moblie a second look, as for right now, Im not sold.

Good luck on your decision.

jddphd
02-15-2006, 09:26 AM
I'd have thought that most of the issues had been worked out as the MDA has had a life elsewhere (Vario in the UK, HTC Wizard?, i-Mate K-JAM). While I'm not foolish enough to believe that MSFT puts out bug-free OSs, one would think they'd have sorted the major problems. Bad assumption on my part?

zx6racer
02-15-2006, 09:34 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I use a nextel i930 as my main phone. It has an older ver of win mobile 2003 2nd ed. I have yet to find any bugs other than signed apps. But I also use a 7100t so its up to you. I don't mind using 2 phones. There is yet to be an all around phone for me.

blkberryboy
02-15-2006, 09:37 AM
I'd have thought that most of the issues had been worked out as the MDA has had a life elsewhere (Vario in the UK, HTC Wizard?, i-Mate K-JAM). While I'm not foolish enough to believe that MSFT puts out bug-free OSs, one would think they'd have sorted the major problems. Bad assumption on my part?

No, it's not a bad assumptiuon. I hope you are right about MSFT. If that proves to be the case, and the software is much more stable, I know a lot of people will be happy. I will stick to my BB for now but will keep an eye on the MDA/SDA.

nlk10010
02-15-2006, 09:51 AM
As I mention to others, you've got to give up one thing to get another. IMO, in the world of cellular PDAs/devices, there ISN'T one device that will do everything well.

I had (have) a 7100t and also was intrigued by the MDA (e.g. Verizon XV6700). I like computers, would like a portable laptop to run Windows apps, Terminal Server, etc. I like to tinker. The problem is that, right now, and despite what anyone tells you, the Blackberry has a lock on easy-to-use wireless e-mail. YES you can make the MDA work with push (or some sort) e-mail if you're willing to do some work and have a good knowledge of the software/hardware, but it WILL take some time and experimenting. IF what is most important to you is to basically activate your phone and get automatically set up for wireless e-mail, BB is it. You know how difficult it is to get data tech support from any of the carriers? Well, that's going to be taken to a power of 2 or 3 with CERTAIN things on the MDA.

Again, yes, there are many people using e-mail on the MDA (and TREO, etc.) but it is NOT nearly as simple as on the BB. I'm not dumb, just not as adept as some others and don't have the time. Further, if you think your WM5 apps will work perfectly out of the box I think you are due for a rude awakening. The MDA is great as long as you don't need simple push e-mail OR are wiling to do some tweaking and compromising.

It's your choice. As I say, you can't get one thing without giving up something else.

Just my opinion.

=NLK=

jddphd
02-15-2006, 10:32 AM
Like what though? It's not that I don't think there's truth to what you're saying, but you've been a bit vague as to the tinkering or compromising I'd have to do and how the MDA makes it more difficult to do push email.

Can you elaborate?

mgerbasio
02-15-2006, 10:47 AM
I agree with most of nlk and you can probably forget support unless you get the (MDA) phone through the carrier. I've been using the BB for about 18 months and had the MDA II prior for about a year.

Blackberry does have better battery life. The MDAII had to be reset more often and the rf isn't as good as with the 8700c. BB with EDGE is much faster than my MDAII using GPRS. In my opinion, the few times a month I'd have to reset (soft not hard) was a small price to pay for the extra functions of the MDAII. I would hardly call the MS platform bug ridden but I didn't use multimedia or games, mostly PDA functions, phone, gps once in a while. I did have some third party software running without problems (pocket informant, zagat, resco file explorer, calligrapher, ewallet, etc) check www.howardforums.com they have a forum on the PocketPC for other opinions for WinMobile (or whatever it is called) users.

I think when the BB is using BIS (T-Mobile only right now), email without BES (MS Exchange) is very good. Otherwise the currently implementation isn't nearly as good as logging into the pop/imap servers as the MDA does.

The MDA you can setup the email so it will check the servers automatically as frequently as every five minutes but it impacts battery life. For me every 15 minutes worked fine, I don't need instant email. I use BB because my employer likes the security and has locked out all but the BB and laptop VPN access. According to what I've read, this has helped quite a bit in network security and preventing the spread of virii.

Regards-Michael G.

richard371
02-15-2006, 11:49 AM
I tried win 5 Sprint 6700 and it was a nightmare. Very cumbersome to use. To use my 7 email accounts I have to log on get the mail and log off. I like the always on connectionand push email of the BB.

DuckWingDuck
02-15-2006, 01:02 PM
As I said in another thread, it's all a matter of which priority is higher for you. If you're looking for a laptop-lite, then the MDA and other PDA-phones are probably more suitable (esp. running windows mobile), I had the O2 XDA IIs (HTC BlueAngel, I believe) and it worked beautifully, until I realized, every where I went, I always had my laptop with me, so I switched back to the BB (hadn't used one since the ancient 5xxx series days) because the most important thing for me while on the go was to get my emails to me quickly. If I needed to go over a spreadsheet or look at a word document in depth, I'll pull out my laptop. So for me, e-mail trumps all else. Your requirements might be different.

To address the other point, Windows Mobile is built on top of Windows CE which has been around for probably as long as BB, if not longer, so it's a pretty stable OS..

nlk10010
02-15-2006, 01:10 PM
Like what though? It's not that I don't think there's truth to what you're saying, but you've been a bit vague as to the tinkering or compromising I'd have to do and how the MDA makes it more difficult to do push email.

Can you elaborate?

Actually, I've been more than a bit vague, and I certainly understand your reservations about accepting my statements as fact. This is, after all, a Blackberry forum and you are quite right about there being a built-in bias against the MDA.

There are, however, forums dedicated to discussing the MDA in it's various incarnations; I won't post links here as it may be inappropriate but I can recall one specific issue you will find discussed if you search out the links yourself. As of right now you cannot get "true" push e-mail on WM5. With an Exchange server you can get something that works almost like push (I don't recall the acronym but it basically sends an SMS to your device to notify it that mail has arrived); there have, however, been reports that under certain circumstances this mechanism freezes and has to be somehow manually reset. If your Exchange server has a certain Microsoft add-on (a Security Pack of some sort) AND your WM5 device has the same add-on THEN true push is supposed to work. Problem with this is that the WM5 software is not quite ready yet (it is supposed to be set for deployment soon, however). But even assuming it IS installed, this is MSFT's FIRST try at true push to a mobile device. To believe it is going to be anywhere near as mature as the BB method flies in the face of everything we know about technology.

Again, this is not to put you off the MDA. Many people are extremely happy with one; it's just that I feel quite certain that even THEY would tell you that if no-fuss push e-mail is important to you the MDA is not quite ready for prime-time.

=NLK=

DuckWingDuck
02-15-2006, 01:22 PM
Again, this is not to put you off the MDA. Many people are extremely happy with one; it's just that I feel quite certain that even THEY would tell you that if no-fuss push e-mail is important to you the MDA is not quite ready for prime-time.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

eddively
02-16-2006, 09:52 AM
Is eOffice really good enough to be a day, day out WP solution on an 8700? I heard it can be a little slow, will the extra power of the 8700 compensate for this?

I heard on BlackBerries, BB keyboards have some lag, would it be compounded in a program like eOffice?

nopesos
02-16-2006, 11:20 AM
I have the BB8700 running on T-Mobile and I just received the T-Mobile SDA yesterday. The Active-Sync feature is great since we use a 2003 Exchange server at work. The web-browser is incredibly slow and the BB 8700 blows it away in speed. The SDA and MDA run on the same processor. The SDA indicates a G on the screen when it has a data connection. It was so slow I called technical support because I thought it was not receiving and Edge signal (the BB indicated Edge and GPRS). T-Mobile told me there is no indicator for the Edge connection and G means you can be getting a GPRS or Edge signal. I will be returning the SDA and selling my unlocked 8700 and probably move to a Treo 700.

BVI Beach Bum
02-16-2006, 01:40 PM
I have the BB8700 running on T-Mobile and I just received the T-Mobile SDA yesterday. The Active-Sync feature is great since we use a 2003 Exchange server at work. The web-browser is incredibly slow and the BB 8700 blows it away in speed. The SDA and MDA run on the same processor. The SDA indicates a G on the screen when it has a data connection. It was so slow I called technical support because I thought it was not receiving and Edge signal (the BB indicated Edge and GPRS). T-Mobile told me there is no indicator for the Edge connection and G means you can be getting a GPRS or Edge signal. I will be returning the SDA and selling my unlocked 8700 and probably move to a Treo 700.

I was wondering why you are getting rid of the 8700 for a Treo 700? I was going to get an unlocked 8700 from GSMPHONESOURCE.COM and not get the Treo 700, but now you have me rethinking my decision. Whay the Treo 700?

richard371
02-16-2006, 01:52 PM
My coworker has had the 700w for about a week now and is going to return it and get the 8700c.

nopesos
02-16-2006, 06:03 PM
Actually, I think I am going to stick with the SDA for right now. I went to Verizon today and could not get past the lackluster screen. I would keep the 8700 because the web browser really works well. Although, we use Active Sync at work and this makes my life much easier.

eddively
02-16-2006, 07:24 PM
Why would anyone really want the SDA? If you are going to go HTC why not get the MDA? I know its more expensive, but its a one time purchase and you get a lot more features.

Oh the joys and pains of competition! :)
At least we have so many choices to debate.

I really want to stay with my BlackBerry (and go 8700..t...if it will ever come out), I'm just worried that the BT KeyBoard with WP on the BB will not be sufficient.

rgoodwin
02-17-2006, 08:50 AM
I had the Qtek 9100 (8125) and sold+traded it for an 8700c. Quite happy with my decision. i can't play videos and mp3's now, but it was more a gimmick than anything. The browsing is much better on the 8700c which was a big deal for me. The main thing I miss is a good native Remote Desktop but it wasn't all that easy to use it anyway :)

(yes I nkow about remote desktop for mobiles, but it's just too slow in many cases)