PDA

View Full Version : 7290 caller ID issue driving me nuts.

Daniel_D
02-17-2006, 09:39 PM
When I recieve a call from someone in my database their name should (and sometime does) appear on the screen, however about 80% of the time it just displays their number making it dificult to screen calls. If I check the call log after the call the name is there as it should be. Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this problem? I have had several BlackBerrys and never had this issue.

code7700
02-20-2006, 12:51 PM
I've seen this many times too. But I would say 5% not 80%. A reboot might help the problem (or just yank the battery for a few seconds). I'm sure it is just some simple software bug in the code that does a database lookup on CID and contacts. Be sure to report it to RIM (the more people that tell them the better).

acf
04-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Disable Content Protection under Options->Security

hughvh
04-30-2006, 09:57 PM
Disable Content Protection under Options->Security

What acf said. Your address book is encrypted when calls come in so the BB cannot reference it.

Jase88
04-30-2006, 10:55 PM
Is your handheld locked when this issue occurs? If so, this is the reason. Its a security feature. Similar to what's offered on Nokia phones. The object is to prevent unauthorized people from identifying callers when your device is locked.

ShaneToronto
04-30-2006, 11:31 PM
*cough* search function *cough*

CoYoT
05-01-2006, 07:47 AM
Isn't that a stupid security function? I think it would be better if it would just show the callers name. The other way (showing the callers number) it makes possible for other people, to write down the number... It doesn't matter if you know whose number it is - you have it, you cand do stupid things using it ;/

hughvh
05-04-2006, 01:18 PM
Isn't that a stupid security function?

Depends on who you talk to. Content Protection encrypts the data on the memory chip in real time. (It usually takes a few seconds for the encryption to take place. Hence the unlock/lock icon at the top on the status bar.)

This stops someone from taking apart a BlackBerry and reading the information directly off the memory chips. This is import to folks with classified data. If a BB is lost, no one can decrypt its information.

The down side, this that the BB does not decrypt the information for phone calls. So the OS cannot reference the address book.

Most consumers do not need this level of security.