PDA

View Full Version : How does the POP3 Email work on a BB?

Ximat
02-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Im new to BB's and don't understand how the email works. The cingular place said it pushes the email to your BB so you can't download it through outlook when you return to the office. Can someone explain this to me?

TIA

go2duke
02-21-2006, 12:44 PM
The BIS/BWC (Web client) gets your email via pop and pushes it to your BB. It doesn't delete it off your pop server unless you want it to.

Works likea champ.. basically checks your mail server every 15 mins and sends you whatever is there except for anything you have filters set up for.

-G2D

Wiseass
02-21-2006, 12:46 PM
Im new to BB's and don't understand how the email works. The cingular place said it pushes the email to your BB so you can't download it through outlook when you return to the office. Can someone explain this to me?

TIA

When you register on the BIS (blackberry Internet service)

http://webclient.blackberry.net/WebMail/Window.jsp?site=mycingular

you can setup which POP accounts to pull mail from (up to 10 I believe?) Gmail, ISP like Comcast, SBC, etc, Yahoo (you have to pay for the POP3 access to yahoo, and others).

The BIS goes out and gets the email (you provide the login info to the pop account in the BIS setup) and then forwards it to your device.

I think you can still download the information from the account using outlook, but you need to make sure that if there's an option in the BIS to leave the documents on the server you have that on. If it deletes them from the server after getting them and forwarding to the blackberry, there will be nothing to get with outlook.

I use it to forward my gmail to the bb, and it leaves it in my gmail account.

havn't tried it with my comcast, i dont use that email address as it is.

johnfromphilly
02-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Did you buy one? If so the information is in the box- easy setup. If you did not buy one and are just interested in "how it works" you can search this forum and there are tons of threads dedicated to this issue.

If you want some basics I may help:
Blackberry has an internet service, BIS, that will receive email (either forwarded from other e-mail addresses or sent directly to your "new" BB e-mail addy)and send it to your BB.

If you are a corporate customer or want to pay for it-you can also use BES (bb enterprise server) to process e-mail contacts, calendar etc)

You can also receive the e-mails in outlook via pop from your old e-mail as you do now.

if you need specifics search or ask for a specific anwer-those are the basics, and I mean basics.

EDIT- I guess I took to long to write the above and everyone else answered also- good luck!

nb_mitch
02-21-2006, 12:52 PM
There are a few different ways to get mail on a BB, all can be found in the FAQ in the stickys here :) So far, people have explained the polling functions from the webclient used for a BIS BB. I am a BIS user, but I don't go this route, because of the 15 minute interval in polling. I forward a copy of my email from my mail server to my myname@<hidden> addy and get instant emails. I normally don't keep anything on the BB, just read, delete, reply. I then get my real mail in Outlook when I get home and it only takes a minute or 2 to weed through the mail, file them and delete the junk.

Now if you are on a BES, that is a whole different story :)

Ximat
02-21-2006, 05:03 PM
Thanks for all the answers. I have not bought one yet, but am doing as much research as I can before I buy it.

Thanks again!

DuckWingDuck
02-21-2006, 05:33 PM
I have both BIS and BES, it is lightyears better with BES, but you need that BES infrastructure (or be willing to pay $X/month depending on the BES outsourcer you use).