PDA

View Full Version : Should I install SP3 on my BES?

TheEricHarris
02-22-2006, 02:09 PM
I'm kinda scared to install any updates on my BES after reading some of the posts on here :-o

I'm currently running BES version 4.0.1.7 with 120 users. Running Microsoft Exchange 2003 (SP1 currently, will be doing SP2 in future).

So, should I install SP3?

I do have the BES on a Microsoft Virtual Server, so if the update goes wrong, I can restore back to the backed up virtual file, causing very little down time.

The instructions on BlackBerry's site are not clear to me on upgrading. Is the SP3 fairly straightforward and easy? Looks like I just extract the zip file and run setup. After installing SP3, do I just install the HotFix #4? I don't need to install the previous HotFixes do I?

Lastly, how much time do you anticipate that this upgrade process should take? (Installing SP3, and the HotFix).

Thanks gang,

Eric

juwaack68
02-22-2006, 02:12 PM
SP3 is very easy to install - total update time is probably 20 minutes, if that. For the Hotfix, yes, just go with 4, but there is a 'trick' to that. After SP3 installs it then deletes the installation files. You'll need to re-extract the installation files for the HotFix to 'find', or it won't install.

TheEricHarris
02-22-2006, 02:34 PM
Thanks. Seems easy (on paper) :D

Do I need to update BES to SP3 if our Exchange 2003 cluster is upgraded from SP1 to SP2?

rta53
02-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Thanks. Seems easy (on paper) :D

Do I need to update BES to SP3 if our Exchange 2003 cluster is upgraded from SP1 to SP2?

Everything was working fine for me with BES SP1. After installing SP3 the wireless calendar issue returned. I regret installing SP3.

dbthomson
02-23-2006, 09:08 AM
I too am getting ready to install Service Pack 3 but for Groupwise.

Going through the release notes for Hotfix 3 for Service Pack 3 I noticed that it indicates what issues are fixed but that it also includes the following notice

"Issues that are marked with an asterisk (*) were fixed in this hotfix. All other issues were fixed in previous hotfixes.

Does this mean that the issues from the previous two hotfixes are also in hotfix 3 or does it mean that this hotfix only fixes the issues with the asterisk?
and you have to apply the other two hotfixes to get these issues fixed.

If anyone can straighten this out I would appreciate it. I know that most other companies supply cumulative hotfixes.

Thanks,

Doug

rta53
02-23-2006, 09:12 AM
If anyone can straighten this out I would appreciate it. I know that most other companies supply cumulative hotfixes.

Thanks,

Doug

I believe that the Service Packs are cumulative but the Hot Fixes are not.

juwaack68
02-23-2006, 09:14 AM
Hotfixes are cumulative. So install the most recent one and you'll get all previous fixes.

dbthomson
02-27-2006, 07:15 AM
For anyone who is interested here are the responses from Blackberry TSupport:

"Yes they are cumulative, once you apply service pack 3 and hot fix 3 for service pack 3 you will be up to date."

"Your Service Request has been resolved.

Resolution:
Yes, hot fix 3 includes hot fix 1 and 2."

Doug