PDA

View Full Version : 8700 Bluetooth Range

sd5187
02-24-2006, 01:38 PM
Folks,

I have tried Moto H700 and Bluespoon AX headsets with my 8700R. I find that I can only wander about 15 feet from the Berry and the headsets get static.

Is anyone else experiencing this lack of range or is it my device?

Just curious - thanks.

gwar11d2
02-24-2006, 03:36 PM
I have a Jabra 250v and I get about "next room over" performance unless there are no walls, then it is about 2 rooms over with static... So if I had to guess about 15-25 feet...which I think BT on the 8700 is only rated at 30feet?

Either way you have to guess that 15 feet of 'clear' reception is probably good, and then 20-25 of static without dropping out of the devices range...

rcg
02-24-2006, 03:38 PM
There are a lot of variables that dictate performance... the max range is 30ft - your mileage may very yadda yadda yadda

mortgageguy
02-24-2006, 04:53 PM
There are a lot of variables that dictate performance... the max range is 30ft - your mileage may very yadda yadda yadda

I have the Plantronics D640 and mine starts with the static at about 8-10 feet(clear line of site) I never walk very far from my phone when I'm talking so this is perfectly acceptable range for me.

This is however an excellent headset that I highly recommend and you can buy it from The SmartPhoneDepot guys.

DuckWingDuck
02-24-2006, 05:50 PM
I can talk through walls with my old Logitech, I've got a Motorola one coming in the mail, wil confirm when that one gets here.

drgoodtymes
02-24-2006, 06:06 PM
I have tried many different bluetooth headsets, and my fav is still the Plantronics a640. I have noticed though that the Bluetooth range on my 8700 is less than it was on my 7290 which is less than my razr I had. I get 10 feet if that.

DuckWingDuck
02-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Plantronics are too big for me. The Motorola ones are decent from all the people I know who have them, I personally love SonyEricsson ones but this logitech that I'm using is pretty decent as well.

go2duke
02-24-2006, 06:55 PM
I have tried many different bluetooth headsets, and my fav is still the Plantronics a640. I have noticed though that the Bluetooth range on my 8700 is less than it was on my 7290 which is less than my razr I had. I get 10 feet if that.

Interesting... from everything I have seen and heard the RAZR's have atrocious BT range. Well, any who.. learn something every day.

hf1khal
02-24-2006, 06:55 PM
I get about 20 feet with the H700 and at that point it start to breakup.

go2duke
02-24-2006, 07:05 PM
I think 10-15 ft is the typical you will get with line of sight before the static... but really.. are we walking away from the blackberry and going to the bathroom or something?

If I talk on it, it's on my hip, pocket, behind my ear :-) ... etc. I have walked across the office to a bookshelf or wandered around in the office but never more than a couple feet...

Are you trying to get some type of 5.8Ghz blackberry wireless thing going ;-)

mortgageguy
02-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Plantronics are too big for me. The Motorola ones are decent from all the people I know who have them, I personally love SonyEricsson ones but this logitech that I'm using is pretty decent as well.

You haven't seen the D640 then.

DuckWingDuck
02-24-2006, 10:00 PM
You haven't seen the D640 then.

http://www.plantronics.com/images/catalog/product_large/discovery640.gif

That is quite small, pretty decent price too.

Blexcroid
02-25-2006, 06:50 AM
Additional things that will affect the BT range include (but are not limited to) the amount of other EMI (electromagnetic interference) in the area (computers, harmonics from other devices not in the BT fx range), atmospheric conditions (humidity (even indoors)) and especially the dreaded spurious emissions (power lines, cable lines, etc). Anther item that will affect BT range on phones is the physical location of the BT antenna within the phone. If the antenna is in the back of the phone and you are setting it on its back, the signal can be partially blocked. This is frequently found when someone lays their phone flat on their desk. Metal desks can be particularly bad, as the signal gets transmitted into a pseudo-faraday cage.
Also the BT antenna is not as omnidirectional as the standard cell antenna.
Bottom line: Find a cheap plexiglass stand (they make real small ones for holding cell phones and radios on desks) and place your phone on it. You likely will find a better range with your BT-- more like the 30ft range for a class B device.

mortgageguy
02-25-2006, 09:41 AM

Try it out, I think you will like it. :smile:

NJBlackBerry
02-25-2006, 09:51 AM
Bluetooth maximum theoretical (EXTREMELY THEORETICAL) distance is 10 meters. About 30 feet. YMMV. I've never gotten close to that. 15-20' max.

utilso245
02-26-2006, 03:13 PM
http://www.plantronics.com/images/catalog/product_large/discovery640.gif

That's funny, I matched mine up with the screen and the D640 is smaller than the picture! I absolutely love mine, worked from day one with the new 8700c. I could have never used the Blackberry without a headset, since I've always had flip-phones in the past and just liked the way they function from a design stand point. The Sena case I purchased pretty much transforms the Blackberry into a flip-phone so that cancels out my prior reservations of having a device like the BB. 8-)