PDA

View Full Version : Going to Europe next week w/ Blackberry. Q's...

AGray34
02-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Next week I will be traveling to Rome and Amsterdam. I am planning on bringing my Blackberry 8700C with me. I want to be able to recieve calls with my regular number and also call back to the U.S. and also make calls in Europe. I would also if possible like to recieve text messaging.

So, in order to do that, do I need to call Cingular and have them activate something, or will it just automatically work? Also, is there a plan that anyone suggests to possible save me some money?

Now on to my next question. I currently have the Blackberry Unlimited plan on my phone. Now, correct me if I am wring, but all I have to do is call Cingular and just have them change my plan to Blackberry International and it will work?

Also, I have my email (imap) accounts set up through Blackberry to retrieve email from my accounts. When I am in Europe, will it still be able to retrieve the email? (If not, I guess I could just forward my email to my Blackberry Push address, correct?)

Thanks in advance !
Edit/Delete Message

NJBlackBerry
02-28-2006, 05:11 PM
Call Cingular and tell them you are traveling and to make sure International Roaming is available. It should work beautifully.

bostonnerd
02-28-2006, 05:12 PM
Next week I will be traveling to Rome and Amsterdam. I am planning on bringing my Blackberry 8700C with me. I want to be able to recieve calls with my regular number and also call back to the U.S. and also make calls in Europe. I would also if possible like to recieve text messaging.

So, in order to do that, do I need to call Cingular and have them activate something, or will it just automatically work? Also, is there a plan that anyone suggests to possible save me some money?

Now on to my next question. I currently have the Blackberry Unlimited plan on my phone. Now, correct me if I am wring, but all I have to do is call Cingular and just have them change my plan to Blackberry International and it will work?

Also, I have my email (imap) accounts set up through Blackberry to retrieve email from my accounts. When I am in Europe, will it still be able to retrieve the email? (If not, I guess I could just forward my email to my Blackberry Push address, correct?)

Thanks in advance !
Edit/Delete Message

You need to call Cingular and have themn provision both vooice and data for international roaming. Call back a few days before you leave and make sure they did it correctly, since they don't get it right the first time on occasion.

Cingular has an unlimited international data roaming bolt-on plan for the Blackberry at an additional $20.00 p/month. This can be added prior to the trip and then removed the following month. I recommend this to ensure data charges are fixed for the trip. Call Cingular Blackberry support at: 800-335-4685 and ask them to add billing code IUBR. It will show up on your billing feature list as cwunlmtdblkbrybolton. Note: TXT (SMS) messages are not included in the unlimited bolt-on plan.

jg70124
03-02-2006, 12:18 AM
... Call back a few days before you leave and make sure they did it correctly, since they don't get it right the first time on occasion.

Yes indeed - I heartily agree with this recommendation. I added international service the day before my trip, and the CSR in the store said it would be added "no problem." I even have a receipt for the transaction. But when I got home, I had a bill for $400 of data usage, because it had not been added correctly. And the reps I've spoken to since (phone and store) say I'm out of luck.