PDA

View Full Version : Unlocking my 8700c

zmetman
02-28-2006, 07:22 PM
I will be travelling to Italy and called Cingular to see f they will unlock my phone at no charge. They advised that if I have owned the phone for 3 months, which I do, they will get me the unlock code, but it will void the balance of my phone warranty. Is this correct? If I pay a 3rd party for an unlock code, will that void my warranty also?

gsmps
02-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Unlocking your phone with a code that comes from cingular directly or indirectly will NOT void anything. They are full of BS

BVI Beach Bum
02-28-2006, 09:16 PM
I will be travelling to Italy and called Cingular to see f they will unlock my phone at no charge. They advised that if I have owned the phone for 3 months, which I do, they will get me the unlock code, but it will void the balance of my phone warranty. Is this correct? If I pay a 3rd party for an unlock code, will that void my warranty also?

Beware! They sent me an unlock code, took them 10 days, that will only unlock the phone with a foreign SIM card. I tried unlocking it with my Tmo Sim, then with a friends active Cing SIM and NADA! I returned the 8700c and am waiting until Tmo brings there's out.

mortgageguy
02-28-2006, 10:40 PM
I think they are saying that if you put another carriers SIM card in your phone this will Void your warranty with Cingular. I can understand that. But in no way should it void the warranty with RIM.

hf1khal
02-28-2006, 10:46 PM
OK I had mine unlocked by Cingular and no one said anything about loosing the warantee. Trust me you will not. By the way you do not need another carrier's sim to unlock it. This is how I did mine:
Here is the one for 4.0 or higher

1 Insert Cingular SIM into device

2 Power phone on and Turn off the radio (Turn Wireless Off option) VERY IMPORTANT.

3 Select “Options”

4 Scroll down and select “SIM Card”

5 Type “MEPD”

6 Type “MEP2”

7 Enter the Unlock Code

8 Press enter

9 Reboot device. Device is now unlocked.

Edit. I also have used a foreign provider SIM on it but I did not have the BB plan with them or GPRS access so the 8700 was used for PIM and just as a phone.

jpipitone
03-01-2006, 03:33 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I've tried this - it asks for a wepd code (10 tries left) - is that the code that cingular provides you with?

hf1khal
03-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Yes you need the code that is where #7 comes in to play by entering the code given to you by cingular.

DuckWingDuck
03-01-2006, 11:17 AM
I think they are saying that if you put another carriers SIM card in your phone this will Void your warranty with Cingular. I can understand that. But in no way should it void the warranty with RIM.

Agreed that it won't void your warranty with RIM and if it voids your warranty with Cingular, then that's yet another reason added to the long list of reasons to not get Cingular. Unless Cingular is the only provide from whom you can get a decent signal 8-)

nb_mitch
03-01-2006, 11:24 AM
OK I had mine unlocked by Cingular and no one said anything about loosing the warantee. Trust me you will not. By the way you do not need another carrier's sim to unlock it. <clip>

Are you using a US carrier other than Cingular?

hf1khal
03-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Agreed that it won't void your warranty with RIM and if it voids your warranty with Cingular, then that's yet another reason added to the long list of reasons to not get Cingular. Unless Cingular is the only provide from whom you can get a decent signal 8-)

It will not void your waranty from Cingular. I have had sveral phones unlocked by them and outside parties and the warantee was still there as I actualy got 2 exchanged by them uner the watrantee exchange program where I also told them that the phones were unlocked and I need the new ones to be unlocked too when I get them.

Are you using a US carrier other than Cingular?

I have used the T Obile SIM on it to make sure that the unlock code worked. I also use an international provider SIM on it too.

zmetman
03-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Thanks for your help. I'm also thinking of upgrading to the the BB International service that Cingular offers for worldwide coverage for browsing and emailing while I'm in Italy (an additional $20) and just swapping to a prepaid TIM SIM card when I want to use my BB as a phone.

zmetman
03-02-2006, 09:18 PM
OK I had mine unlocked by Cingular and no one said anything about loosing the warantee. Trust me you will not. By the way you do not need another carrier's sim to unlock it. This is how I did mine:
Here is the one for 4.0 or higher

1 Insert Cingular SIM into device

2 Power phone on and Turn off the radio (Turn Wireless Off option) VERY IMPORTANT.

3 Select “Options”

4 Scroll down and select “SIM Card”

5 Type “MEPD”

6 Type “MEP2”

7 Enter the Unlock Code

8 Press enter

9 Reboot device. Device is now unlocked.

Edit. I also have used a foreign provider SIM on it but I did not have the BB plan with them or GPRS access so the 8700 was used for PIM and just as a phone.
Thanks for your help. I'm also thinking of upgrading to the the BB International service that Cingular offers for worldwide coverage for browsing and emailing while I'm in Italy (an additional $20) and just swapping to a prepaid TIM SIM card when I want to use my BB as a phone.

hf1khal
03-02-2006, 10:45 PM

That is whatI have done while traveling. I did not take the int'l option yet as my usage was way below that amount while traveling into roaming countries. I will continue to evaluate and if the need arises then I will add the int'l option.

Hd10851
09-27-2006, 07:14 PM
What is the code to unlock to 8700C Does anyone know it

Thank You

Mike

NJBlackBerry
09-27-2006, 07:18 PM
Each BlackBerry has a unique unlock code.