PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry Tethering Plan with Cingular!

CingularMK
02-28-2006, 11:19 PM
Im glad to announce to those of you who do not know, for an extra 30$ a month, you can now get COMPLETELY unlimited data access on the Blackberry, including 3rd party applications/Laptop tethering.

With a qualifying voice plan cingular now offers a Blackberry Tethering Unlimited Data Access plan (isp.cingular, wap.cingular, blackberry.net) for 74.99.

As a Data only device its only 5$ a month more! 79.99!

And ontop of all that awesomeness, the newest version of Cingular communication manager (5.2) has been released with support for Blackberry Tethering! (Drivers and all!) Enjoy folks

Also, I've decided to put my PIN number up around here, if anyone ever has any questions about blackberries on Cingular, I'd be happy to answer them! Send me a PIN to PIN message to 203A6D3B

Im constantly getting Private messages on this site and would rather be getting PINs then trying to browse to this site on the BB. Im looking forward to helping out!

Soapm
02-28-2006, 11:43 PM
Teathering sucks and is only used as a final option. I doubt it's worth $30 for just a little over dialup speeds.

By the way, how long you been with Cingular?

Stinsonddog
02-28-2006, 11:44 PM
But once again Cingular is way more expensive than the competition. If this were EVDO speeds it would be worth it, but not really sure for edge.

Im glad to announce to those of you who do not know, for an extra 30$ a month, you can now get COMPLETELY unlimited data access on the Blackberry, including 3rd party applications/Laptop tethering.

With a qualifying voice plan cingular now offers a Blackberry Tethering Unlimited Data Access plan (isp.cingular, wap.cingular, blackberry.net) for 74.99.

As a Data only device its only 5$ a month more! 79.99!

And ontop of all that awesomeness, the newest version of Cingular communication manager (5.2) has been released with support for Blackberry Tethering! (Drivers and all!) Enjoy folks

Also, I've decided to put my PIN number up around here, if anyone ever has any questions about blackberries on Cingular, I'd be happy to answer them! Send me a PIN to PIN message to 203A6D3B

Im constantly getting Private messages on this site and would rather be getting PINs then trying to browse to this site on the BB. Im looking forward to helping out!

takeshi
03-01-2006, 12:11 AM
For $30 more? Bleh.

jnelson2000
03-01-2006, 12:16 AM
$30.00 more for ISDN speeds...I don't think so. 115kbps is all I get. 14.99 per month maybe (as an emergency). 30.00...go fly a kite.

I hate to say it, but VZW is taking a big chunk from Cingular.

1350 plus UNL BB plus UNL Teathering

CING $155
VZW $125

That's $360.00 per year and EVDO kicks EDGE sppeds anyday. You do the math, but I am not going to buy into that scam.

andrebsd
03-01-2006, 12:17 AM
See thats the reason I don't switch to cingular... they might have the 8700 I want; but their plans are junk. They nickle and dime everything; you get the "unlimited data" plan and then you have to pay even more if you want to tether.

74.99 per month, just for data, so I can have unlimited access and tether? Yeah right... I pay 66.80 a month for my voice plan and unlimited data (which I can also thether on and it's true unlimited; did like 3 gigs one month, never got any complaints.)

Now if they had a lot more speed for the price, it wouldn't mater. But all they got is EDGE; and (assuming I didn't have a 7100) I would get EDGE speeds here anyway because TMobile rolled out EDGE a long time ago in Los Angeles.

In all honestly, I was actualy debating going to Cingular just becuase they have the 8700; and suckup the extra data cost to have a device that supports EDGE. But if I have to pay more than I currently am... and thats just for data; not data and voice. Then it's cheaper to just get the 8700 and unlock it somewhere. - I could justify 49 for true unlimited; but bringing that to 74? Nah... they would think I tether constantly, even if I'm not, since I keep IRC (virca) running all the time.

BB Junkie
03-01-2006, 12:29 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Yawns... That new plan stinks.

d_fisher
03-01-2006, 12:54 AM
Thanks for sharing the information with us CingularMK.

People complained that Cingular didnt have a tethering option, now they complain that there is one. My guess is that Cingular didnt really want to offer this (based on the price), but due to demand they did it anyway. At least people have the option now.

Soapm
03-01-2006, 09:47 AM

People complained that Cingular didnt have a tethering option, now they complain that there is one. My guess is that Cingular didnt really want to offer this (based on the price), but due to demand they did it anyway. At least people have the option now.

Good way to look at it, now if you call and insist on 3rd party apps and/or teathering there is an option for you. I agree with d_Fisher, they are not seriously trying to get you this plan because we all know BES will give you these abilities via MDS and those options are cheaper.

Next question to anyone who gets this option, will you have to call in periodically to have them credit the data charges?

byron
03-01-2006, 10:13 AM
you must be kidding? $30 /month on top of a $45 /month "unlimited data" plan... just so i can access "data" that is supposed to be unlimited? seeing as other providers provide 3rd party apps data access under their BB plans.. i don't see how cingular expects to pull this off. can you say "bait and switch".

if this is strictly for tethering... ok. but if this is what cingular wants to market to BIS users that need/want 3rd party apps on their BB i might be in the market for a new provider.

d_fisher
03-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Im constantly getting Private messages on this site and would rather be getting PINs then trying to browse to this site on the BB. Im looking forward to helping out!You can disable Private Messages by going to User CP (http://www.blackberryforums.com/usercp.php?) > Edit Options.

mgerbasio
03-01-2006, 11:04 AM
$15 to teather EVDO with Verizon is worth it. $30 to teather EDGE with Cingular isn't. Twice the cost for 20% of the speed to go with Cingular isn't worth it.

Regards-Michael G.

nb_mitch
03-01-2006, 11:20 AM
I almost think this is so Cingular can now collect all the data charges for 3rd party apps, when I call this month to have my charges removed, I bet I will get the "you don't have the right plan, for just $30 more you can have real unlimited or don't tell them I said so, for $19 you can go to T-Mobile and have true unlimited too (a savings of $55/month)".

jxdel
03-01-2006, 12:14 PM
For that price you can just get a PC card a pay a bit more for a data plan and get true edge. Which is what I use. Actually I'm on cingular pc card making this post. Speeds are actually quit surprising. I've downloaded files at times at 25kbps. I'm downloading the new connection manager as we speak. Speeds are at 15kbps and peaked at 27kbps.

xenopus
03-01-2006, 01:55 PM
$30.00 more for ISDN speeds...I don't think so. 115kbps is all I get. 14.99 per month maybe (as an emergency). 30.00...go fly a kite.

You can get a pretty good kite for $40 or so, but you can easily spend a lot more to get better performance, up to hundreds of dollars. I am really happy with my $65 Apex kite, if I just had more time to practice...

I am sticking with AT&T, the only thing they WON'T let me get now is the equipment insurance. After the out-of-the-holster-into-the-toilet-bowl experience with my 7290, I really want it. The reason they state is that they "can't replace AT&T equipment". Like my Cingular 8700c is somehow different with my AT&T SIM in it... I tried to reason with them, but it didn't work. Any suggestions?

Piers!

wavebourn
03-01-2006, 02:31 PM
"Why your service is so expensive?"
"Because we baddly want money!"

muffinman
03-03-2006, 09:50 AM
Unlimited data with Cingular? Unlimited data my ass. I've had enough and am switching to Verizon today. 600$ a year just for email and browsing (what cingular calls unlimited data which actually turns out to be 960$ ) vs 360$ a year for actual unlimited data, you do the math.

takeshi
03-03-2006, 11:24 AM
It's not that I don't appreciate CingularMK's efforts. This is my problem:

...for $19 you can go to T-Mobile and have true unlimited too (a savings of $55/month)".

Granted, I could just switch back to T-Mobile but I switched to Cingular due to coverage issues with T-Mo in my area. Yeah, I'm griping and it's not a deal killer but I am wondering why Cingular can't package in tethering and the appropriate APN for internet apps (for those on BIS only) like T-Mobile.

aristobrat
03-03-2006, 11:45 AM

Yeah, I hope that CingularMK doesn't take it personally that nobody's impressed with the rates. I appreciate him letting everyone here know that at least it's an option.

zygut
03-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Huh, so I have a cingular cell phone now and am just about to get a BB. I dropped into a local cingular store last night and asked about how much unlimited data would run me if I were to add it to my plan, and they told me $19.95/month. But what I am reading here is that this is probably not "true" unlimited, or maybe is unlimited MMS and SMS? And to get actual unlimited I need to pay $30/month, and if I want unlimited teather I need to pay more? Now I'm royally confused. I'm in a Cingular contract right now, so I can't ditch it, but it sounds like verizon might be the better option for me? (in NYC/New Jersey area)

aristobrat
03-05-2006, 06:59 PM
The unlimited data plan that your BlackBerry requires to work is $44.99/month.

If you'd like to use your BlackBerry as a modem for unlimited tethering, it's an additional $30/month more.

celcius
03-05-2006, 09:13 PM
The unlimited data plan that your BlackBerry requires to work is $44.99/month.

If you'd like to use your BlackBerry as a modem for unlimited tethering, it's an additional $30/month more.

So all that on top of your calling plan. I think the unlimited BB plan is really $49.99 but $5 off since you already have a calling plan.

romerom
03-05-2006, 09:44 PM
what the F this is WEAK I was already able to use my 8700 as a modem with EDGE now your saying they're going to turn that off (if they haven't already, i haven't used it in a couple months) if i don't pay an additional $30/month !???

romerom
03-05-2006, 09:51 PM
this is really really messed up I HAVE AN UNLIMITED DATA PLAN !@<hidden>#!@<hidden>#@<hidden>!# NOT UNLIMITED SMS/TEXT i hope somebody rich gets pissed off and goes class action if they try and say tethering is not DATA which is supposed to be UNLIMITED.. i'm locked in on a contract for 2 years so if they want to pull this, it should take until the end of my contract to take effect. any sooner and they LIED ABOUT UNLIMITED DATA

romerom
03-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Data Summary The Data summary includes your usage for MEdia, Text/Instant Messaging (SMS), Wireless Internet Express (WIX), Multimedia Messaging (MMS), ringtones, games, and more.
Internet & Downloads Reflects the MEdia and wireless Internet services used during the current billing cycle. This category also includes the ringtones, games, and graphics downloaded during the current billing cycle. Internet & Download usage is measured in kilobytes (KB).

ChiTown
07-25-2006, 07:33 PM
I have the Cingular plan on the new 7130, with tethering...

The speeds are bad, I have even tried working with customer service to get the issue resolved and they are equally bad. What speeds are you getting? Any tips? I am using the latest version of the Cingular Communication Manager.

Sometimes I cant even open a web page...

geekboy2000
07-25-2006, 08:11 PM
I have to add my two cents here. First, thanks CingularMK for posting the info. Cingular has always been very good to me, in terms of coverage in my area, accommodating me with replacement phones, tech support, and superb service at the company store in Doylestown PA. The only gripe I have is one that was mentioned by another poster. Data is data, and I too would love to see someone bring a class action suit against Cingular for re-defining the term for the sake of their wallets. As a self-confessed internet maniac, I currently have both Comcast broadband and Verizon DSL for redundancy. Believe me, there have been plenty of times that I'd had to switch from one to the other for what have been outages lasting 24-72 hours. Being able to tether my 8700c, even though only EDGE, would provide me a "backup" method of connecting to the net, and if Cingular viewed "data" as "data", I'd save a ton of money. As it is now, at the price quoted, there's no reason at all to take advantage of it.

mre2u2
07-25-2006, 08:20 PM
I just spent a combined 10 hours with Cingular's tech support to get my 8700c to tether. Speed sucks 100kbps max and most of the time it's around 60k. I tried everything I could to get around having to pay the extra 30 bucks a month. I'm so enthused over it that I'm cancelling that portion of my plan - it's not worth it. Verizon will only tether certain phones, and that's why I'm here - I was caught tethering the Q - got booted - breach of contract.

ChiTown
07-25-2006, 09:56 PM
I just spent a combined 10 hours with Cingular's tech support to get my 8700c to tether. Speed sucks 100kbps max and most of the time it's around 60k. I tried everything I could to get around having to pay the extra 30 bucks a month. I'm so enthused over it that I'm cancelling that portion of my plan - it's not worth it. Verizon will only tether certain phones, and that's why I'm here - I was caught tethering the Q - got booted - breach of contract.

I would Kill for 100kbps tethering, I get like 20kbps...any tips you would like to share that got you to 100?

ChiTown
08-18-2006, 10:24 PM
Just an update and maybe a helpful hint for those having speed issues when trying to tether.

If you reduce your temporary Internet file disk space to 1mb, vs. the default of 640mb you can increase your speed. I picked that up from a Satellite Internet FAQ on DSL Reports and gave it a shot.

Now, the other issue is that mre2u2 stated, the speed is not as advertised. I am lucky to get 90k, and it's mostly in the 50 and 60's. I was told of speeds in the 200k's and that in Chicago where I live there was a 300k+ network available, although it's never been found on my device. I have tried from my home, my office downtown and O'Hare and still can't find the elusive high speed network...

If anyone has any other tips to increase speed while tethering, please share.

playboyinsac
07-21-2007, 08:07 PM
lol Why not just set ur "apn" on the bb to wap.cingular and hit start menue then control panel/phone and modems/ then click on standard modem "on com 10" then click on advanced and type in this string AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","wap.cingular" then user name = WAP@<hidden> "all cap's!! than pass = CINGULAR1 ALSO IN CAPS PHONE # IS *99#. BTW IM ON IT NOW YES YOU CAN GET CHARGED FOR IT! but i have never been charged, i think you'll be ok as long as ur not on all day and night everyday lol.

playboyinsac
07-21-2007, 08:07 PM
lol Why not just set ur "apn" on the bb to wap.cingular and hit start menue then control panel/phone and modems/ then click on standard modem "on com 10" then click on advanced and type in this string AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","wap.cingular" then user name = WAP@<hidden> "all cap's!! than pass = CINGULAR1 ALSO IN CAPS PHONE # IS *99#. BTW IM ON IT NOW YES YOU CAN GET CHARGED FOR IT! but i have never been charged, i think you'll be ok as long as ur not on all day and night everyday lol.

playboyinsac
07-21-2007, 08:08 PM

playboyinsac
07-21-2007, 08:09 PM
hjjjh