PDA

View Full Version : 8700 vs Treo 650?

vizual
03-01-2006, 12:57 AM
What are the pros and cons vs these two models?

I see a used Treo 650 going for around 600 CAD while most 8700's are going from 350 - 450 CAD.

I know this board obviously would be biased but it seems the 8700 is far better than the Treo. My two bosses each own a Treo 600 and 8700r and I think the 8700 is far better usability wise.

What are everyone elses opinions?

(yes i'm kind of new and realize this might have been posted a million times already.)

andrebsd
03-01-2006, 01:59 AM
Well the BlackBerry does what it does very well...

The Treo, more or less, does everything... just not very well.

... If you need/want multimedia things, you'll have to go with the treo; the blackberry units currently don't support video/audio streaming, nothing like that. If all you need is a good web/email/phone... and thats it device, then go for the blackberry.

mortgageguy
03-01-2006, 07:28 AM
Well the BlackBerry does what it does very well...

The Treo, more or less, does everything... just not very well.

... If you need/want multimedia things, you'll have to go with the treo; the blackberry units currently don't support video/audio streaming, nothing like that. If all you need is a good web/email/phone... and thats it device, then go for the blackberry.

Ditto

BBAdmin
03-01-2006, 07:46 AM
I think Andrebsd sums it up very well. Expensive, all singing, all dancing, all constantly crashing bells and whistles on a Treo. BlackBerry on the other hand, cost effective, stable, effecient and secure mail delivery with a simple and intuative interface.

Hobbesgsr
03-01-2006, 07:59 AM
To add to what Andrebsd stated...

As a business tool, the 8700 is far more useable and polished. Email, seamless Outlook Calendar/Notes/Tasks synchronization, wireless sync with BES4.0. High-speed internet access via the EDGE network. It works well with none of the frills.

The Treo and Palm OS is superior for its memory expandability and application selection and multimedia capabilities (MP3 player, camera, higher resolution screen for pictures, video playback). It also is nice that you can add SDIO peripherals like GPS modules.

It would be nice if RIM added some of this functionality as the 8700 has the processing power to perform these functions. I think the simple addition of an external SDIO slot and a firmware update would suffice. Then those that wanted it could add a camera, play MP3s, use it as a USB mass storage device.

amexman
03-01-2006, 10:56 AM
Here is one BIG difference:
The Blackberry never crashes or reboots randomley>>>