PDA

View Full Version : Zen, 4.1.0.284, and "Can You Hear Me Now!"

Stinsonddog
03-01-2006, 05:40 PM
Well I must say that there is an added benefit to upgrading the OS. I think the phone is much clearer, louder and snappier. What I mean by that is when I would put in a pause for voicemail etc, prior to the upgrade the numbers would plod along. Now after the pause, the numbers are entered quickly.

I have a ton of volume on my Plantronics 510 headset.

Also this took away an issue with the IM+ upgrade to 3.2.1.

gadgetman
03-01-2006, 05:50 PM
What is 4.1.0.284? The current version for the 8700c is 4.1.0.175, or am I missing something here?

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/browseSoftware.do;jsessionid=e8303dbd8d6e437c354bTR

Lex Luthor
03-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Since I installed the Bharti handheld code I find my 8700r to be much louder and clearer also. I had to adjust all my profiles because it was so much louder.

Stinsonddog
03-01-2006, 05:55 PM
in the Themes forum for updating to get the Zen theme. I think the phone vol is reason enough to do the upgrade.

What is 4.1.0.284? The current version for the 8700c is 4.1.0.175, or am I missing something here?

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/browseSoftware.do;jsessionid=e8303dbd8d6e437c354bTR

DocGo
03-01-2006, 06:01 PM
I believe the phone volume itself (when you are talking on the phone) is also louder. I had to cut back on the call volume to prevent my ear from hurting.

Lex Luthor
03-01-2006, 06:04 PM
Gotta love the Bharti handheld code now affectionately known in my office as "Bharti Edition" Almost everyone wants a Bharti Edition 8700r now since I showed them the zen theme and let them try first hand how loud and clear it is. The last 2 days all I have been doing is upgrading the stock handheld code on their 8700's.

Seattle18
03-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Gotta love the Bharti handheld code now affectionately known in my office as "Bharti Edition" Almost everyone wants a Bharti Edition 8700r now since I showed them the zen theme and let them try first hand how loud and clear it is. The last 2 days all I have been doing is upgrading the stock handheld code on their 8700's.
Yeah, I thought it was just me, but the volume on mine is definitely louder. Nice...

BTW Nitty, look who turned into the upgrade expert all of a sudden! Well done. :smile:

Lex Luthor
03-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I thought it was just me, but the volume on mine is definitely louder. Nice...

BTW Nitty, look who turned into the upgrade expert all of a sudden! Well done. :smile:

I learned from you seattle18 8-) (y)

Now I am sharing the knowledge. My wife is getting her 8700r tonight after work so I will add it to hers also. Now I won't have to hear complaints about her aging 7280.

Seattle18
03-01-2006, 09:58 PM
I learned from you seattle18 8-) (y)

Now I am sharing the knowledge. My wife is getting her 8700r tonight after work so I will add it to hers also. Now I won't have to hear complaints about her aging 7280.
Spread the knowledge, my young Padawan.

spia
03-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Where can I find this download?

Seattle18
03-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Where can I find this download?
Here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=26764

drgoodtymes
03-02-2006, 01:44 PM
The only problem I have found with this newer os is, I have Pocketday set to always show after 1 minute, that way its always there when I need it, and with the newer software, it doesn't do that anymore. Just odd

Stinsonddog
03-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Let Pocketday know. This is a newer type of advanced theme. Bet they can fix it easy.

drgoodtymes
03-02-2006, 02:38 PM
email sent

drgoodtymes
03-02-2006, 06:26 PM
Gotta love Mark at Crossriver Systems, the boy is on the ball, got me a fix and I am good to go!

hf1khal
03-02-2006, 07:19 PM
I want to venture into upgrading but I am hesitant to do so. I had no problem taking the plung wih my moto phones but with the 8700 I am taking the back seat. I just have to get enough strenth and confidence to do it.

johnfromphilly
03-02-2006, 07:43 PM
I want to venture into upgrading but I am hesitant to do so. I had no problem taking the plung wih my moto phones but with the 8700 I am taking the back seat. I just have to get enough strenth and confidence to do it.

Be not afraid....I am a dope when it comes to computers and I did it in one shot. Follow the Seattle18 directions and you are set. I can't stop playing with the new options and the volume is great. I have not noticed any other difs but as I work with it I am sure they will show themselves.

You can always revert to the the old version or so I hear.....

Seattle18
03-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Between myself, MegaBit, Jibi, and Stinsonddog, the Force is with you. Success, you will have. 8-)

mightyeric
03-02-2006, 08:43 PM
any new os features / bug fixes? or just new themes?

hf1khal
03-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Be not afraid....I am a dope when it comes to computers and I did it in one shot. Follow the Seattle18 directions and you are set. I can't stop playing with the new options and the volume is great. I have not noticed any other difs but as I work with it I am sure they will show themselves.

You can always revert to the the old version or so I hear.....

Between myself, MegaBit, Jibi, and Stinsonddog, the Force is with you. Success, you will have. 8-)

OK I will take the plunge and will read up and hopefully I will report success by the morning. It can't be worse than working with the Motorola A780. thanks in advance if and when I need help.

estabulla
03-02-2006, 09:35 PM
I upgraded mine today - and boy is it great! I actually upgraded as is first and then went back and added the zen theme. Gotta love RIM developers. Alls I did was update the blackberry.xml file and it only updated the "core applications" piece keeping everything else the same. First time it took around 15 min, second time 2 min!

The new OS hasn't fixed my extended battery issue though - no matter what AC adapter only seems to charge the battery to 85% - USB cable charges it to 100%. Anyone else seen this issue?

AlbertoM
03-02-2006, 10:09 PM
The only problem I have found with this newer os is, I have Pocketday set to always show after 1 minute, that way its always there when I need it, and with the newer software, it doesn't do that anymore. Just odd
Mine is for 10 minutes - but PD still works, right?

AlbertoM
03-02-2006, 10:12 PM
I can't stop playing with the new options and the volume is great. I have not noticed any other difs but as I work with it I am sure they will show themselves.
and
any new os features / bug fixes? or just new themes?
OK, I give....what are the new options and features?!??

And yes, first thing in the AM I am going through the checklist for installation...

(which almost guarantees that Cing will come out with a new firmware release)

AlbertoM
03-02-2006, 10:15 PM
I upgraded mine today - and boy is it great! I actually upgraded as is first and then went back and added the zen theme. Gotta love RIM developers. Alls I did was update the blackberry.xml file and it only updated the "core applications" piece keeping everything else the same. First time it took around 15 min, second time 2 min!

The new OS hasn't fixed my extended battery issue though - no matter what AC adapter only seems to charge the battery to 85% - USB cable charges it to 100%. Anyone else seen this issue?
No, my wall charger and the USB charger both take my OEM extended battery to 100%.
Forgive me for asking the obvious, but I assume that you have reset the thing, i.e., with the phone on, taken the battery out, waited 30 seconds, and replaced the battery? Sometimes the phone needs to re-see the battery....

johnfromphilly
03-02-2006, 10:25 PM
and

OK, I give....what are the new options and features?!??

And yes, first thing in the AM I am going through the checklist for installation...

(which almost guarantees that Cing will come out with a new firmware release)

The new options I refer to are all about the themes- I have moved applications around, added wallpapers (learned how to resize and add them too)etc... This is the ZEN theme that makes the background much more visible because the apps are just on the side.

The volume is much better, both via speakerphone and regular. Others have mentioned additional benefits also, check the threads (their are about 4 now on this).

JP

hf1khal
03-02-2006, 10:48 PM
OK I am up to 25 minutes into it right now but it seems to be taking a long time restoring the data and it has been at about 80% for a good while now. Should I do any thing or just let keep going? Thanks in advance.

dc/dc
03-03-2006, 12:47 AM
I didn't think about it, but it really is louder...

hf1khal
03-03-2006, 12:50 AM
I didn't think about it, but it really is louder...

Yes it is. I have to lower the tune volume as it too loud now and not sure if the speaker can take the tones that I have. I might have to default to the BB ones.

drgoodtymes
03-03-2006, 02:33 AM
Mine is for 10 minutes - but PD still works, right?

Pocketday still worked, but just didn't reshow up, I emailed Mark at Crossriver Systems, he sent me a utility to reset some stuff on PD, and now it works as it always did

Dewars
03-03-2006, 07:21 PM
How do you move the icons in the theme to show different ones on the home screen?

Dewars

Stinsonddog
03-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Hit O for options, go to Home Screen (new choice in this theme), then click Organize Applications and use the trackwheel to select move.

How do you move the icons in the theme to show different ones on the home screen?

Dewars

Dewars
03-03-2006, 07:47 PM

MegaBit
03-04-2006, 12:56 AM

The only issue with this is 3rd party apps (like Google Local) will show up as the "DOS window" icon when they move into the top of the list for home screen display. They still look fine in the pop-up list.

xkon
03-04-2006, 01:32 AM
it is way louder now... my BT car setup is soooo loud now the speakers distort.. I need to try my BT headset out too

Stinsonddog
03-04-2006, 08:15 AM
Search for 5 standard apps that you use alot and assign one of the convenience keys to pop up the entire list (new option with this theme).

I have messages, radio, bluetooth, power, pictures (for quick changes) works great.

The only issue with this is 3rd party apps (like Google Local) will show up as the "DOS window" icon when they move into the top of the list for home screen display. They still look fine in the pop-up list.

rcbjr
03-04-2006, 09:52 AM
I may have missed this in reading alle the threads on the new OS and/or Zen theme, but do either have the option to change the Lock Screen Image?

Thanks for your Help.
Rcbjr

Sparkomatic
03-04-2006, 10:09 AM
rcbjy, not that I know of but the nice thing about the Zen theme is that it shows whatever your home screen image is when you lock you BB. The other themes showed the themes default screen when you locked your BB.

On a side note, I noticed that I lost my Cingular browser. Does anyone know how I get it back? I think I've seen somewhere about loading a service book??

Sparkomatic
03-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Doh! Sorry...should have looked around. Stinsonddog had the answer for me in another thread.

rcbjr
03-04-2006, 10:16 AM
rcbjy, not that I know of but the nice thing about the Zen theme is that it shows whatever your home screen image is when you lock you BB. The other themes showed the themes default screen when you locked your BB.

On a side note, I noticed that I lost my Cingular browser. Does anyone know how I get it back? I think I've seen somewhere about loading a service book??
---

Thanks for the response, at least it will match the theme now. As to the service book, don't know about BES, but for BIS, logon to your webclient page and under either the Options or Profile page there is an option to send service books. Try that and you can also try to re-register from the BB Options/Host Routing Table menu.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr

Edit: Correcting Typos, I really got to trim my thumbnails today?

rosmonov
03-04-2006, 10:30 PM
did 284 release fixed issue with snooze not making sound after timeout?

luckiweeman
03-06-2006, 03:14 PM
My upgrade ran flawless. Thanks to Seattle18 and all involved. Just one question..Can anyone point me to the posts on hiding icons in the Zen theme. I remember seeing a couple of comments and tried a search but couldn't find them. Thanks in advance

luckiweeman
03-06-2006, 03:24 PM
Nevermind folks...I was able to figure how to move the icons so they don't show on desktop. Thanks anyway.

AlbertoM
03-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Nevermind folks...I was able to figure how to move the icons so they don't show on desktop. Thanks anyway.
Well, I know how to move them. How do you hide them?

stoxx
03-06-2006, 04:36 PM
I agree with the louder and clear sound. I also found that my Voyager510 headset doesnt disconnect as much as it had been before

justin.culp
03-08-2006, 03:05 PM
Anyone ever figure out why 3rd party apps icons appear like dos windows but appear correct on the apps menus?