PDA

View Full Version : AC adapter does not charge extended battery above 85%

estabulla
03-02-2006, 08:53 AM
Got an extended battery from smartphone depot. It works well, except when I use the AC adapter (the OEM version that came with the 8700c) to charge, the battery charge does not move above 85% - no matter how long I keep it plugged in. When I use the USB cable to charge the battery however, it charges the battery to 100% and all is well. Could this be a software issue or a battery issue? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks...

wibbly
03-02-2006, 09:50 AM
I saw this effect on my 7290 (100% via charger, 85% via USB to PC in my case) with the OEM battery. Not seen it with my 8700...

W

wcberry
03-22-2006, 07:24 AM
Seeing this same issue with my extended battery. It will reach 86% and hold forever.
Anyone have a solution to this? Or is it really charging all the way up?

rcg
03-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Well if your battery can charge to 100% using an alternative method it's not a battery problem - it's a charger problem.

I use the external charger (http://store.bizshopr.com/rimacc-07493-001.html) via USB and get 100% on my extended battery.

wcberry
03-22-2006, 01:38 PM
"Well if your battery can charge to 100% using an alternative method it's not a battery problem - it's a charger problem.

I use the external charger (http://store.bizshopr.com/rimacc-07493-001.html) via USB and get 100% on my extended battery."

So are you saying the stock OEM charger will not properly charge the OEM extended battery. I have two stock OEM chargers that do the same thing.

river747
03-22-2006, 01:43 PM
I saw this in some other thread and they found that the USB charger (like a computer) was able to charge it fully.

rcg
03-22-2006, 02:20 PM
"Well if your battery can charge to 100% using an alternative method it's not a battery problem - it's a charger problem.

I use the external charger (http://store.bizshopr.com/rimacc-07493-001.html) via USB and get 100% on my extended battery."

So are you saying the stock OEM charger will not properly charge the OEM extended battery. I have two stock OEM chargers that do the same thing.

The standard Charger may not have enough output or have another issue... the charger that came with my 8700 WILL go 100% so it cannot be every one of them. We are trying to talk to RIM about this issue and see what they say.

I would suggest anyone having this issue to contact RIM - if they see end users are having a problem sometimes they are more likely to respond to it quickly.

Which charger came with your 8700?

mgerbasio
03-22-2006, 09:28 PM
I received my batery yesterday and used the standard wall charger that came with the 8700c. The battery charged to 100%, it was about 10% when I received it. I charged it with the phone off. Tonight, I'm down to about 45% and I'm charging it will the wall charger, this time with the phone on. I'll post back here if it doesn't get above 85%.

Regards-Michael G.

rcg
03-22-2006, 11:23 PM
I received my batery yesterday and used the standard wall charger that came with the 8700c. The battery charged to 100%, it was about 10% when I received it. I charged it with the phone off. Tonight, I'm down to about 45% and I'm charging it will the wall charger, this time with the phone on. I'll post back here if it doesn't get above 85%.

Regards-Michael G.

Excellent test idea - I charge mine OFF... perhaps this will shine some light on the users getting 85%.

mgerbasio
03-23-2006, 12:30 PM
This might help you. I have the exended battery and charged it overnight as I mentioned above to 100%. By the time I got home that night, the battery was down to about 50%. I think google talk with the msn transport is killing it. That night, back in the wall charger and it reached 97%. I removed it from the wall charger and it dropped to 22% in the morning.

I put it in another wall charger and this time it didn't get higher than 85%. I thought I was using the 7290 wall charger this time but I have so many of these from different phones and whatever that I can't remember which is which. The changer that got me to 85% has a block that plugs into an outlet, then a standard usb port. The one that got me to 100% says blackberry and plugs into an outlet with a cable for the mini-usb port on the phone.

From my computer I was able to get to 100%. Now I'm going to quit google talk to see if that was killing the battery.

Regards-Michael G.

thatboiwes
03-23-2006, 05:10 PM
I recieved my extended battery yesterday and charged it over night last night and it charged to 100%. My phone was on for most of the time, I have it set to automatically turn off at 4 a.m. and turn back on at 10 a.m. Next time I charge it, I'll try it with the phone on the whole time and see how it comes out then. It's hard to experiment with just a couple to record the output from. We need some more people to help out with it.

wcberry
03-24-2006, 01:51 PM
The standard Charger may not have enough output or have another issue... the charger that came with my 8700 WILL go 100% so it cannot be every one of them. We are trying to talk to RIM about this issue and see what they say.

I would suggest anyone having this issue to contact RIM - if they see end users are having a problem sometimes they are more likely to respond to it quickly.

Which charger came with your 8700?

I am now using the RIM PSM05R-050CHW now and it stops at 85%. Going to try charging it off my laptop USB tonight, just for grins.
Maybe a discount on the one you are using?? :smile:
W-

rcg
03-24-2006, 02:14 PM
The part number begins with ASY or the packaged kits start with ACC

wcberry
03-24-2006, 02:33 PM
The part number begins with ASY or the packaged kits start with ACC

This one is the RIM travel charger. If I google the number, PSM05R-050CHW, I can find lots of places to but it, so I believe my number is valid. I gave up on the one that came with the 8700 and have tried this one, which did not do any better. So now will try overnight on my laptop USB port.

Wendell

rcg
03-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Yes it is a valid part number except that it doesn't cross reference with anything in specification land... The ASY will tell us which rev. it is.

I would contact RIM and tell them about this issue so They can track it and develop a fix.

At my desk I use http://store.bizshopr.com/rimacc-07493-001.html at home I use either http://store.bizshopr.com/rimrac50351.html (which is the travccel charger you describe) or some times this http://store.bizshopr.com/motspn5202.html.

I will test this http://store.bizshopr.com/rimacc-10600-001.html over the weekend.

wcberry
03-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Ok understand about the part number. ASY-07559-001
For what it is worth, the laptop USB connection charged it to 100% so I agree must be the charger. Kind of sucks though that RIM does not tell you that the OEM charger for the 8700 will not work with the extended battery.
Yes the store.bizshopr.com/rimrac50351.html
is similar to what I have.
The one I have is rated at 5vdc and .5 amp out. If the one above works for you then I will need to order one of that type as I travel overseas. In fact I am in Kuwait now.
Thanks for the input.

thatboiwes
03-25-2006, 03:39 AM
Like I said before, the charger that came with my 8700c fully charges my extended battery. So it must be an issue with a select few chargers.