PDA

View Full Version : 8700c and Cingular

mopar92
03-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Hi folks. I have seen the light with my first BB. An 8700c. I travel a ton and hate paying $9.99 for 2 hours worth of use in airports. I am not a computer geek, so speak in English please...LOL
1-I cant seem to get the keytone off. I have it turned off, but it still beeps when I type.
2-I would like to use this 8700 as a modem. Where do I buy the hardware, and will Cingular catch me and nail me with fee's? I have unlimited internet plan. Thanks guys, what a wondrful site!

mopar92
03-02-2006, 04:43 PM
72 views, no answers?

DuckWingDuck
03-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Mopar - Do a search for a walk through regarding the internet data plans. there was a post yesterday where a Cingular rep said that you need to pay an add'l $30 (on top of your unlimited plan) in order to tether a device (your laptop in this instance) and use your BB as a modem.

LargeLeon
04-07-2006, 08:39 AM
Yesterday, I was working with a client who wanted to tether his laptop to his Cingular 8700C. I spoke with three Cingular personnel who played with account settings, etc. The final person finally said that my client needed a $79/month Blackberry Tethering plan in addition to his Blackberry unlimited data account. Needless to say, my client refused the offering of that service.

1. It bugs me that USB Tethering to the 8700c is documented in the Cingular knowledgebase, but no mention of this Tethering service is in the system or referenced.
2. I spoke with 3 support people to finally get an answer on why the USB tethering wasn't working. Their training must be nill.
3. I see normal data plans costing $79 but this is usually standalone.
4. I searched the forums and I see answers to this problem that are all over the map in regards to what needs to happen. Is cingular this unorganized?

Oh well, since I use t-mobile, I am interested to see what they do when they get the 8700 in regards to tethering.

takeshi
04-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Yup. That's Cingular for you. There is now a $30 tethering add-on on top of your Blackberry data plan. Don't rely on what an individual Cingular rep tells you because, as you've noticed, you can end up getting a different answer every time.

Tethering works on T-Mobile without any additional cost, even if you're on the $19 BIS add-on.

Go figure. I wish T-Mo's coverage was better in my area but I'm stuck with Cingular.

Stinsonddog
04-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Alternative is SharkModem for $35 one time fee. The program is good but I have had some issues interms of crashing etc. Basically I don't think the 8700c is good for web surfing as a modem. It works fine to check email, but web surfing is pretty slow overall, and some pages won't load for me like the new Yahoo mail.

Yup. That's Cingular for you. There is now a $30 tethering add-on on top of your Blackberry data plan. Don't rely on what an individual Cingular rep tells you because, as you've noticed, you can end up getting a different answer every time.

Tethering works on T-Mobile without any additional cost, even if you're on the $19 BIS add-on.

Go figure. I wish T-Mo's coverage was better in my area but I'm stuck with Cingular.