PDA

View Full Version : 8700 German t-mobile phone does not work on US blackberry network

tnittmann
03-02-2006, 04:00 PM
While in Germany, I purchased a 8700 from t-mobile. Phone and SMS works fine in the US (using a US t-mobile SIM card). However, the email service does not work. I'm only getting lower case gprs signal and t-mobile states it needs to be upper case GPRS signal to receive data. After giving customer suppport my PIN and IMEI number they said the phone was not included in their US network. They are still trying to resolve the problem. Does anyone know a work around?

acnst
03-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Where did you buy the device? In a "T-Punkt" (T-Mobile Shop)? If yes than I am very sure you got the "Prosumer" version of the 8700g. On the package of the device you should find the word "Prosumer". This devices can only be used with a Prosumer-activated (aka BIS account) SIM card from T-Mobile Germany. They will not work with other carriers. If you wanted a device that works with your US SIM card, than you should have bought an "Enterprise" / "Corporate" version of the 8700g. But this version of the 8700g is usually not available in T-Mobile shops. They only sell this version through their business customer channels.

tnittmann
03-02-2006, 04:18 PM
The phone was purchased through t-mobile online and is a prosumer model.

acnst
03-02-2006, 04:22 PM
You could try to call T-Mobile Germany and ask them to change the device in their database to a "Enterprise" version. But I am not sure if you will have success with this if you are not a customer of them.

dc/dc
03-03-2006, 12:49 AM
Weird. I would have expected it to be as easy as using 8700c's on T-M US...

DuckWingDuck
03-03-2006, 01:34 AM
International BB are quite different as exemplified above. I experienced this while I was down in Australia as well.