PDA

View Full Version : BES activiation

utilso245
03-03-2006, 10:59 AM
I have consulted with my IT department at work and was notified that my 8700c could not be activiated. The only solution I was given was for them to order a new BB for me and then tie me in that way to the BES.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it true that BES is network dependent? Say for instance, if the office is using Nextel and I'm using Cingular, how does that work? TIA

gfisher99
03-03-2006, 11:08 AM
All devices/carriers work on any BES. Did you buy the unit personally? I dont let my users buy devices then connect them to my BES. If the company didnt buy it, it isnt going on the server in my world...

HTH
Greg

DuckWingDuck
03-03-2006, 11:18 AM
BES should be able to accept the IMEI of any BB device. I had a SK65 running RIM software that couldn't get attached to TMO because the IMEI wasn't in their database but could connect to my company's BES.

Unfortunately, gotta consult jibi or NJBlackBerry or someone equally knowledgeable about how to actually accomplish that though!

NJBlackBerry
03-03-2006, 11:46 AM
BES doesn't care what model BB or carrier you are using. The BES does not interact with any specific carrier; it has a secure channel to a RIM data center only.

So you can have Nextel, Cingular, O2, Vodafone, T-Mobile... all operating on the same BES.

I have never run into a situation where a BlackBerry couldn't be activated.. Maybe others have..

CanuckBB
03-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Gotta go with Greg on that one. It could also be a support issue. If the 8700 is the only one, your IT dept may not want to have yet another one-of device to support.

takeshi
03-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Did you buy the unit personally? I dont let my users buy devices then connect them to my BES. If the company didnt buy it, it isnt going on the server in my world...

Even if your employer allows you to connect a personal device you want to be careful as you can easily end up stuck with a restrictive IT policy on your Blackberry after you leave the company. A blank IT policy can be pushed to your device in this situation but it can be tricky.

utilso245
03-03-2006, 01:31 PM
I figured it had something to do with security but I still don't know the specifics of why personally-owned BBs can't be integrated with BES. Not saying that it can't be done, it just took two weeks for my IT department to tell me "Well, you bought it and lets buy you a new one." That makes no sense to me. Enlighten me gfisher99.

At this point, I'm pursuing any longer -- doing without the OTA syncing with Outlook and such, I'm fine with.

DuckWingDuck
03-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Who knows what your personally-owned BB might be infected with and could therefore affect the entire system.

utilso245
03-03-2006, 02:18 PM
I suppose that's a valid reason, but isn't that what Anti-Virus utilities are for?

jgarlock
03-03-2006, 02:27 PM
IT must have some internal policy and are unwilling to fight the bureaucracy beast. I know that we have a policy that says only Verizon and Cingular devices are acceptable to use. (I'm the BES admin here, 150+ devices)

Why those two? It's the two names our CTO was able to recognize. Why none of the others? Because .. well, just because. Ask again and you'll lose your 2nd monitor.

I bet the story behind your activation issues aren't all that different.

DuckWingDuck
03-03-2006, 02:43 PM
LOL@<hidden> and you'll lose your 2nd monitor.

CanuckBB
03-04-2006, 04:51 PM
I figured it had something to do with security but I still don't know the specifics of why personally-owned BBs can't be integrated with BES. Not saying that it can't be done, it just took two weeks for my IT department to tell me "Well, you bought it and lets buy you a new one." That makes no sense to me. Enlighten me gfisher99.

At this point, I'm pursuing any longer -- doing without the OTA syncing with Outlook and such, I'm fine with.

It's simple. One is support. IT will only specific types of devices. The other is, well, ownership. If it's yurs, you can complain about restrictions put on it, and could have a case against the company logging your data streams. If it's company owned, they can do whatever they want with it.

chrisl
03-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Could not or would not be activated?

jibi
03-07-2006, 11:16 AM
It's simple. One is support. IT will only specific types of devices. The other is, well, ownership. If it's yurs, you can complain about restrictions put on it, and could have a case against the company logging your data streams. If it's company owned, they can do whatever they want with it.
I think that answer covers all bases, in a nutshell.

From someone's perspective who is not in IT and not into network security, it may not seem all that fair or straight-forward, but security, support and liability, in most cases, has to be a black and white area with little to no grey room.

For personal devices here, we have users sign an end user agreement that should cover us in the event of any sort of litigation. The user is bound to that agreement and the terms within it.

Just another note on the 8700, depending on which version of the BES they are on, there is a Device.xml update they may or may not have to add in, which would require a restart of services. The 8700 was not recognized by the BES software until one of the later hotfixes (HF3, I believe) for BESX 4.0.3 (I'm sure it was a similar hotfix number for GroupWise and Domino versions as well). This presented no major issues, though.

P.S. - As long as your account was added to the BES, you should have been able to activate it for the BES services (just not wirelessly) without them knowing you had the 'unsupported' device. Just FYI.

gfisher99
03-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Sorry guys.. I was away from this thread for awhile.. What everyone is saying is correct. I know of a lot of companies that dont let people use personally owned BlackBerrys on the company BES.

If the company has TSupport, you have to pay (annually) based on how many CALs you are actively using. Also, the CALs themselves cost money. We back-charge the departments in our firm for the CALs that they aquire. They are only aquired when a new device is purchased. If they dont buy the device thru the company, the CAL never gets charged to the Dept, then we have an overage of CALs per disbursment.

With me personally (emotionally), its a support issue. When people have problems with their device, Im the one that gets to call the carrier. If its a personal account, I generally wont have access as I dont have the user's SSN, password, etc. Devices under our company all have the same FAN, PW, etc.. Makes life easy.

The IT Policy is major as well. If a user were to leave my company, they wouldnt be able to use third-party (non-bes) email services, etc because my policy prohibits it. We dont want to have to deal with that.

HTH
Greg