PDA

View Full Version : new 7290 bb user ?

gadgetjunkies
03-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Please don't flame me on my nuuuuubie question but here goes. I purchased the 7290 tonight and have been searching forums and the bb website with no luck. All I want to do is use my personal email that I use with Outlook. I can't seem to get it to work. The only email I have received is one saying I have been regisitered with the network. Not sure what network it is talking about. Can someone help me? Thanks,
John

rcbjr
03-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Please don't flame me on my nuuuuubie question but here goes. I purchased the 7290 tonight and have been searching forums and the bb website with no luck. All I want to do is use my personal email that I use with Outlook. I can't seem to get it to work. The only email I have received is one saying I have been regisitered with the network. Not sure what network it is talking about. Can someone help me? Thanks,
John
----

There is a sticky FAQ thread at the top of the forum. In it are a bunch of links to guides and other FAQs on specific topics. I think one of them is on getting email up and running. If not it's on the RIM software forum. A good idea would be to read most of the FAQs and guides.

On your 7290, there should be a icon for Individual Email Activation. Click on that and follow the instructions.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr

dwella
03-03-2006, 11:18 PM
Also make sure u have the BB data package or else all u have is a phone....

d

gadgetjunkies
03-03-2006, 11:37 PM
This is for using it with my existing personal email account?

----

There is a sticky FAQ thread at the top of the forum. In it are a bunch of links to guides and other FAQs on specific topics. I think one of them is on getting email up and running. If not it's on the RIM software forum. A good idea would be to read most of the FAQs and guides.

On your 7290, there should be a icon for Individual Email Activation. Click on that and follow the instructions.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr

gadgetjunkies
03-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Good to go. Thanks for your help.

gadgetjunkies
03-04-2006, 10:41 AM
Well I'm not getting all emails. I tried sending one from a yahoo account and it went to my Outlook but not to my BB. Any suggestions?

jbairdjr
03-04-2006, 10:44 AM
If you do have a data plan, try re-sending the service books from the web client.
Also, if you have Outlook deleting the messages from the server, it will never come to the Blackberry. I set up my Outlook to leave messages on the server until I empty me deleted items folder.

hughvh
03-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Well I'm not getting all emails. I tried sending one from a yahoo account and it went to my Outlook but not to my BB. Any suggestions?

That's probably because your Yahoo account is configured for POP (Post Office Protocol). With POP, e-mail sits on the server until someone comes and "picks it up". Your Outlook and the BlackBerry server are in a race see who can get the e-mail first. Your Outlook has downloaded the e-mail before the BlackBerry checked your account.

There are a few options here. First, you can program Outlook to leave a copy of the e-mail on the server. Or you can simply turn off Outlook when you are on the road. For finally, see if Yahoo supports IMAP. IMAP is a protocol where e-mail stays on the server where you can mange it via Outlook's interface. There is no race for e-mail checking with IMAP.

gadgetjunkies
03-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Is there a way to have the BB check more often that every 15 mins? Also, how do I set Outlook to leave the email on the werver?

aergina
03-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Email accounts...then advanced...check "Leave Messages on server."

jbairdjr
03-04-2006, 02:33 PM
If you want a more "instant" message delivery from your POP mail, you can do what I do.
I set up my Alltel mail (Alltel is my DSL ISP) to forward to my GMAIL account. I set this up on the Alltel web access, which actually re-directs the mail to my GMAIL account.
Then, in GMAIL, I set it up to forward to my Blackberry.
The messages appear on my Blackberry almost instantly, and are addressed as if they were sent there.
The spam filters in GMAIL are the best that I've ever used.