PDA

View Full Version : Group buy for custom 8700 Fortte case?

pyro451
03-04-2006, 11:26 AM
I hope this is not against the rules (mods, please delete if it is and cut me a little slack since I'm new)

I corresponded with Fortte about what I thought would be the ultimate 8700 case. What I came up with is as follows:

black leather case with the following features:

1) vertical style with removable spring loaded swivel (similar to the vertical pouch)
2) open top (no flap or closure) but leather on all sides for protection (similar to vertical pouch)
3) magnet in location to activate holster mode when blackberry is placed in the holster with the screen facing the belt clip.
4) cutout for the speaker on the side opposite the belt clip (similar to the one on the flip case)
5) fitted for the blackberry 8700

They agreed to make the case for what I consider a reasonable price. About the same as a custom Vaja plus shipping. I thought they might consider a lower price if several of us 8700 owners wanted one too.

I have not asked Fortte about this yet, 'cause I wanted to gauge interest here first. I know lgreenberg will be in for one (just 'cause he doesn't have one yet). Anyone else interested in the exact same design?

Post here and I will direct the Fortte rep to the thread to see if we can get a price reduction.

If there is no other interest then I will just order mine early next week.

DuckWingDuck
03-04-2006, 01:59 PM
On point 1, if you remove the swivel, would it be possible to put it in your pocket, i.e. would there be any protrusion?

sithjedi333
03-04-2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks for taking the initiative. This is a great idea. I'm interested pending final pricing.

Will it be able to accomodate 8700s with egrips applied? How snug will it be (if you turn it upside down will it slide out)?

Would it be possible to have no logo?

lgreenberg
03-04-2006, 02:49 PM
I like everything except for the lack of a top. I'm not sure I 100% trust any case that doesn't have a top on it. There would always be that little bird wispering in my ear. "is the case secure? Is it going to fall out."

rudy_ca2mp
03-04-2006, 03:16 PM
Hey Pyro, good job in looking for what you exactly want.
Count me in! *On approval of sketch of case, and *price*.
tksom

Sparkomatic
03-04-2006, 03:26 PM
I like everything except for the lack of a top. I'm not sure I 100% trust any case that doesn't have a top on it. There would always be that little bird wispering in my ear. "is the case secure? Is it going to fall out."

What are you doing that you have to have a top on the case? Well, I guess since you're the Green Lantern, you must have your reasons...lol Just teasin' ya.

pyro, thanks for taking the initiative! The case sounds like it could be great and Fortte makes beautiful cases. The only thing I don't like is that the clip makes the case stick out too much for my liking.

lgreenberg
03-04-2006, 03:31 PM
What are you doing that you have to have a top on the case?

How about having three kids under the age of 5 crawling all over me and a 7 month old puppy for starters. :razz:

Sparkomatic
03-04-2006, 04:01 PM
How about having three kids under the age of 5 crawling all over me and a 7 month old puppy for starters. :razz:

Enough said. You need a titanium lock box! :smile:

hf1khal
03-04-2006, 04:43 PM

I agree. Now how about this for a solution. The case will have a removable flap which is attched by 2 small snaps in the back and a magnet on the front.

pyro451
03-04-2006, 06:55 PM
I agree. Now how about this for a solution. The case will have a removable flap which is attched by 2 small snaps in the back and a magnet on the front.

Thanks for all the replies. I bet by Monday I can point the Fortte rep here and see what the final price will be.

One thing about the magnet on the front. I intentionally do not want that bases on the reports of intermitent sleep mode as the berry slides by the front of the case. And since I HATE velcro I don't want that either.

As I said earlier, I am perfectly willing to pay Fortte the amount they asked for this case as it is *exactly* what I want. However, they may cut us all a break if more people want the same case.

As far as the logo goes I would be happy to ask them for it with no logo. That doesn't matter to me either way.

pyro451
03-04-2006, 07:01 PM
On point 1, if you remove the swivel, would it be possible to put it in your pocket, i.e. would there be any protrusion?

I assume it would have the typical nub required for a removable clip. When I originally emailed the rep at Fortte I tried to combine existing features from their line of 8700 cases to make it faster and easier to produce.

go2duke
03-04-2006, 07:36 PM

I think you need a top on another case .... :oops:

lgreenberg
03-04-2006, 07:37 PM
I think you need a top on another case .... :oops:

LOL.

That's the first time I've heard it being referred to as a "case."

Took me a second. :oops:

pyro451
03-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Does not appear to be too much interest here. I will order my case tomorrow and point the Fortte rep here anyway.

Perhaps we can all enjoy a discount.

chrisnol
03-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Does not appear to be too much interest here. I will order my case tomorrow and point the Fortte rep here anyway.

Perhaps we can all enjoy a discount.
To Forte rep --Please contact me as I would like to order a similar custom case with some minor changes

pyro451
03-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Well, I placed my order and pointed the Fortte rep here. I will try to post pics of the case when it arrives along with a review.

All I can say so far is Fortte seems to have great customer service!

sithjedi333
03-06-2006, 02:29 PM
What was the final price?

Thanks.

pyro451
03-06-2006, 02:42 PM
What was the final price?

Thanks.

Since I am the only one ordering I assume it would be the same as the original price they quoted to me. Let's just say it was under $100, but not too far under.

If they live up to their reputation it will be worth it to not buy and scrap several other cases that are not quite right.

PRB
03-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Thank you for your trust in our premium cases.

Let me offer the following Discount Code for any purchase you do at www.fortte.com
We will release new cases for the 8700c/r.
a) New reversed vertical pouch: One customer suggested changes based on his use and it turned out to be a brilliant suggestion, thus we will make this case available in stock in about 10 days.
b) Expanded case: For the newly introduced extended battery... case will work with both batteries... we estimate to release this case in about 2 to 3 weeks.

Thank you for your support and trust, we will do our best to provide the best solution to protect the BB. Please do not hesitate to contact us and give us your suggestions at sales@<hidden>

Here goes the discount code for this Thread and Forum: FRTT252006 (25% off)

Regards. PRB

sithjedi333
03-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Fortte,

Wow, talk about great customer responsiveness. Can you tell us what the pricing will be on these babies? Will the new reversed vertical pouch be as described by pyro451 above?

Thanks!

hf1khal
03-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Thank you for your trust in our premium cases.

Let me offer the following Discount Code for any purchase you do at www.fortte.com
We will release new cases for the 8700c/r.
a) New reversed vertical pouch: One customer suggested changes based on his use and it turned out to be a brilliant suggestion, thus we will make this case available in stock in about 10 days. b) Expanded case: For the newly introduced extended battery... case will work with both batteries... we estimate to release this case in about 2 to 3 weeks.

Thank you for your support and trust, we will do our best to provide the best solution to protect the BB. Please do not hesitate to contact us and give us your suggestions at sales@<hidden>

Here goes the discount code for this Thread and Forum: FRTT252006 (25% off)

Regards. PRB
Is there any way that you can share some pics of the new disigne?

PRB
03-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Thank you again for your replies..

Price will be $32.99 (before the discount)
and...
Pictures will be available by Friday.

Regards.
PRB

pyro451
03-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Thank you again for your replies..

Price will be $32.99 (before the discount)
and...
Pictures will be available by Friday.

Regards.
PRB

Thanks again for all your help Peter. I am glad to see the design was popular enough to add to the product line.

For anyone who has not dealt with Fortte before, I can only say good things about responsiveness and customer service. I can't wait to get my case.

ragin cajun
03-09-2006, 04:01 PM
I would like to see a case that the BB can be inserted into upsidedown with the screen facing your body. This position is perfect for ear to holstering. A nice touch would be a hole near the speaker on the outside for clarity. For me its easier to use the BB when you poll from the bottom plus there arent any buttons to push on with your fingers near the bottom. I have found that I usually hit the scroll wheel unholstering and turn off my ringers or alarms.

pyro451
03-09-2006, 04:12 PM
I would like to see a case that the BB can be inserted into upsidedown with the screen facing your body. This position is perfect for ear to holstering. A nice touch would be a hole near the speaker on the outside for clarity. For me its easier to use the BB when you poll from the bottom plus there arent any buttons to push on with your fingers near the bottom. I have found that I usually hit the scroll wheel unholstering and turn off my ringers or alarms.

I guess you would be right if you are actually holding that brick to your ear. I am sorry, but one of the first things I did was get a BT headset and keep it in my jacket pocket at all times. I try my best not to hold the 'berry to my head.

As silly as the HS700 looks, the 8700 looks AND feels worse.

However, I bet Fortte would make the custom case you want if you asked them. They didn't hesitate when I asked about mine. Just be prepared to pay a custom price.

Good luck.

DuckWingDuck
03-09-2006, 04:15 PM
So what WAS your price?

pyro451
03-09-2006, 04:22 PM
So what WAS your price?

It started out much higher when it was going to be a custom, one of a kind case. Since my company is in the custom manufacturing business (not at all related to blackberries or cases) I would not want to share the exact price. I will leave that up to Peter at Fortte to quote you. I will say it was under $100 and right around what other makers charge for custom cases (I checked with a couple of others before selecting Fortte).

However, now it is in-line with everyone else that wants the exact same thing I wanted, since Fortte decided to make the case part of the standard lineup. That made me even happier.

pyro451
03-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Cool,

It is amazing to see the case I requested just last week already designed and posted up on Fortte's site.

http://www.fortte.com/scr/details-151/Blackberry%208700r,%208700c%20STi%20Vertical%20Pouch%20PDA%20Case.html

DuckWingDuck
03-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Cool,

It is amazing to see the case I requested just last week already designed and posted up on Fortte's site.

http://www.fortte.com/scr/details-151/Blackberry%208700r,%208700c%20STi%20Vertical%20Pouch%20PDA%20Case.html

Since I'm too lazy to scroll up, this case has the sleeper magnet, yes?

pyro451
03-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Since I'm too lazy to scroll up, this case has the sleeper magnet, yes?

Yes, designed to work with the unit facing with the screen toward the belt clip.
Although it might work both ways.

DuckWingDuck
03-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Nice, and $32.99 is WAY below $100 :P

pyro451
03-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Nice, and $32.99 is WAY below $100 :P

Don't forget the 25% off code that the Fortte rep posted here. That should make it $24.75.

Taikun
03-09-2006, 04:50 PM
ya what was the final price..were are the pics..i am interested in this group buy opportunity..but i gotta see what i am buying..somone pls post link to this specific proudct thx

dave3000
03-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Nice... This pretty much what I've been wanting. Any idea how snug it is going to be?

Also, I'm assuming that clip swivels but doesn't ratchet. Is that correct?

DuckWingDuck
03-09-2006, 04:53 PM
ya what was the final price..were are the pics..i am interested in this group buy opportunity..but i gotta see what i am buying..somone pls post link to this specific proudct thx

Good lord, here I am thinking I was lazy. Just go up like 3 posts, the link to the product is right there!

pyro451
03-09-2006, 04:53 PM

You might want to read through the thread. I will summarize for you:

1) I wanted a custom case with features to address all the complaints I read on this forum about various cases.

2) Fortte agreed to make it for me but it was expensive.

3) I posted here hoping to get a group of us to buy the same case and get a better price.

4) Fortte not only decided to offer the forum a 25% off code, but they also made the case I designed a "standard" item at a great price.

So, the group buy already happened by default and you can enjoy the excellent price now on Fortte's site. I will make you scroll back to my link to the case (provided a few posts back).

I am so happy I could contribute something to the forum members after all I learned here in such a short time.

Enjoy!

ragin cajun
03-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Well unfortunately I do also use it as a phone. Its bot that bad. I just want something rugged for outdoor use. I work outside 75% of the time and its a concern for me. I just hate trying to grab it at the top while in the holster.

dave3000
03-09-2006, 11:02 PM
still curious as to how snugalicious it is gonna be.... also, is there anyway to get it without that logo on it?

djeddiebear
03-10-2006, 12:10 AM
Time to order!

Thanks for the PM hf1khal

hf1khal
03-10-2006, 12:19 AM
No problem it was right up there in post number 19 in this thread.

djeddiebear
03-10-2006, 12:30 AM
No problem it was right up there in post number 19 in this thread.

That's why I edited my post. I didn't read it all the way down.

Anyways, this is a nice case. This is EXACTLY what I told my friend I wanted in a case. The only thing I don't like is that emblem, would just want it all flat in the front.

hf1khal
03-10-2006, 12:38 AM
LOL. I did not notice the edit. Sorry. I like this case and once I see more info on it I will most likely order it too. I also ordered te BB OEM one. So once this is ordered I will end up with 3 cases. Gizmo, BB OEM and the Forte. I am also thinking about the Sena case. I just can't make up my mind so I might get them all.

djeddiebear
03-10-2006, 12:42 AM
Yeah my friend niteqwill purchased a Sena case from Sena: http://blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=28188

The only case I have right now is the one Cingular sells. Basically a toned down version of this Fortte pouch (not as flashy). But I don't trust the fixed (non-swivel) belt clip. If it had a tang on the belt clip, i'd feel a little at ease.

I emailed Fortte and hopelly it's not too much trouble to get this case withtout anything on the front.

Eddie.

DuckWingDuck
03-10-2006, 11:04 AM
OEM + Fortte I believe is the best combination. Anybody else using a skin with these cases?

Taikun
03-10-2006, 10:08 PM
to the forte staff: is there a way to see these cases without the constant forte.com watermark across the images? when i see your ad here on this forum it makes me want to buy a case, but when i go to your website...i cannot really "see" the cases...they look kinda hideous with the watermark

hf1khal
03-10-2006, 10:12 PM
to the forte staff: is there a way to see these cases without the constant forte.com watermark across the images? when i see your ad here on this forum it makes me want to buy a case, but when i go to your website...i cannot really "see" the cases...they look kinda hideous with the watermark

I agree, I was wondering that myself.

pyro451
03-11-2006, 10:24 AM
I found these in a review in another post (I think it was lgreenberg's review)

Fortte case (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/lgreenberg/Blackberry/CaseBrown.jpg)

lgreenberg
03-11-2006, 10:58 AM
I have plenty more.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/lgreenberg/IMG_0397.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/lgreenberg/Blackberry/Cases.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/lgreenberg/Blackberry/Magnet.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/lgreenberg/Blackberry/Fortte/FortteButton.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/lgreenberg/Blackberry/Fortte/Packaging.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/lgreenberg/Blackberry/Fortte/Case.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/lgreenberg/Blackberry/Fortte/Case3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/lgreenberg/Blackberry/Fortte/Case2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/lgreenberg/Blackberry/Fortte/Box.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/lgreenberg/Blackberry/Fortte/Belt.jpg

Salo Rechtszaid
03-12-2006, 05:48 PM

Taikun, The reason we put watermarks in our pictures is because a competitor is constantly copying our photographs. Our apologies for that.

Fortte Staff Member

DuckWingDuck
03-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Salo - Someone else was wondering if it would be possible to purchase a case, say, this one: http://www.fortte.com/scr/details-151/Blackberry%208700r,%208700c%20STi%20Vertical%20Pouch%20PDA%20Case.html without the Fortte logo.

sithjedi333
03-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Is there a ratcheting clip available with this new Fortte case? Or is it free swiveling?

Salo Rechtszaid
03-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Salo - Someone else was wondering if it would be possible to purchase a case, say, this one: http://www.fortte.com/scr/details-151/Blackberry%208700r,%208700c%20STi%20Vertical%20Pouch%20PDA%20Case.html without the Fortte logo.

DuckWingDuck, we can omit our logo and shield if you wish. All you need to do is place the order and send us an e-mail with the order number (as sson as the order is placed). Please note that since it is a special request, it takes additional time to get it to you. Please e-mail me at salo@<hidden> if you wish to proceed

Salo Rechtszaid
03-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Is there a ratcheting clip available with this new Fortte case? Or is it free swiveling?

sithjedi333, for the moment is ts a free swivel.
Thank you all for your support(y)

pyro451
03-16-2006, 05:26 PM
My case is due tomorrow. I will try to post pics over the weekend.

pyro451
03-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Got my case just now. Very nice!!

The free swivel will take some getting used to (compared the the OEM ratchet). The fit is very snug. The berry does not fall out if shaken upside down. I expect it may loosen up with time. If it does, I can always put egrips on the berry for a tighter fit.

The sleeper magnet definitely does it's job with the berry facing inward. No point in trying it facing out since the speaker cutout is on the outside.

Thanks Fortte!!!

lgreenberg
03-18-2006, 07:03 AM
Can we see some pictures pyro451?

pyro451
03-18-2006, 08:05 AM
Can we see some pictures pyro451?

Wow you guys get up early. I just finished my first cup of coffee and here are the pics...

http://webpages.charter.net/stomas/STi1.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/stomas/STi2.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/stomas/STi3.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/stomas/STi4.jpg

Back to my coffee now.

Enjoy.

BlackBlueberryBrew
03-18-2006, 08:57 AM
Man...... I just don't know... I have the fortte case WITH the flap. It just looks so unstable. I'm also wondering if the case will be able to handle the BB with the extended battery.... A case with some sort of elastic on the sides for a little give and I would definitely want to keep the flap. Not too crazy about the idea of snap on flap.....

lgreenberg
03-18-2006, 09:11 AM
Wow you guys get up early.

I have three kids all under the age of 5. :smile:

Case looks good. If it had a ratcheting clip I'd probably order one. The lack of a flap or top combined with the free swivel clip makes me nervous.

cbb77
03-18-2006, 09:42 AM
That does look sweet. It looks like low profile as well. I just wish they had other option that the swivel clip. If they did I would order one in a heart beat.

chrisnol
03-18-2006, 10:03 AM
I have three kids all under the age of 5. :smile:

Case looks good. If it had a ratcheting clip I'd probably order one. The lack of a flap or top combined with the free swivel clip makes me nervous.
I just ordered one without any clip at all (to carry in my suit jacket breast pocket without too much bulk). I asked them to not even put on the metal nub that the clip attaches to and since I rarely use it as a phone to not have a speaker cut out either. I ordered it in a higher end "mahogany" leather -- they have all kinds of color choices and leather quality upgrades. They were very accomodating and easy to work with and I should have it in about 2-3 weeks.

I also have the OEM leather holster from our friends at Smart Phone Depot and have orderd the OEM pouch from them as well (without the clip but with the flap).

I'll use different cases depending on what I am doing and the level of protection needed for the activity involved. I am very concerned that I have contracted some sort of "case fetish" disease from Greenberg.

lgreenberg
03-18-2006, 10:11 AM
I am very concerned that I have contracted some sort of "case fetish" disease from Greenberg.

That almost made me spit my coffee out. :oops:

DocGo
03-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Yeah, Lgreenberg's case-mania is rather contagious. I need to find an antidote for it. :)

lgreenberg
03-18-2006, 10:24 AM
I know, I know.

If only my three Vaja cases would show up. I need a fix baaaaadddddd.

gadgetjunkies
03-18-2006, 10:29 AM
Yeah, Lgreenberg's case-mania is rather contagious. I need to find an antidote for it. :)
BUUUYYYY MOOOOORRREEE CAAAASSSEEESSS :???:

sithjedi333
03-18-2006, 11:09 AM
That case with a ratchet clip would be perfect.

chrisnol
03-18-2006, 01:02 PM
That case with a ratchet clip would be perfect.
The folks at Smart Phone Depot said they don't expect an open (that is without a flap) leather OEM holster or pouch for the 8700 anytime soon or perhaps ever (although there are both for the 7100, so who knows). Anyway, one idea is to take the OEM leather holster (with the ratchet clip you want but which is not currently available for the Forte case) to your local shoemaker and have the flap removed and the edge restiched. I think it would only cost $10-15.

chrisnol
03-18-2006, 01:08 PM
I know, I know.

If only my three Vaja cases would show up. I need a fix baaaaadddddd.
The good thing about Greenberg's case obsession is that he makes the rest of us look (relatively) normal by comparison

Sparkomatic
03-18-2006, 01:39 PM
The good thing about Greenberg's case obsession is that he makes the rest of us look (relatively) normal by comparison

I agree. I thought I was crazy with the cases until I met Igreenburg...lol

I just saw this thread again and really like that new Fortte case. Might have to order that one cause I really didn't like the flap on the last one I ordered.

lgreenberg
03-18-2006, 01:58 PM

I'm glad I can help out.

Salo Rechtszaid
03-18-2006, 02:05 PM
I want you to know that we listen to all the comments we get from all our customers and future customers.

Although not yet official, we are working on a ratchet clip.:smile:

Do not have dates yet but I hope soon we will have them out.
We thank all of your for your comments and suggestions, they are always taken into consideration.(y)

chrisnol
03-18-2006, 02:13 PM
I want you to know that we listen to all the comments we get from all our customers and future customers.

We thank all of your for your comments and suggestions, they are always taken into consideration.(y)
Salo is the one at Forte who helped me with my custom Forte case (see post #61 below). He's the best. Great and prompt communication and an "I'll make it happen" approach to almost any request.

Sparkomatic
03-18-2006, 02:58 PM

Great news. After rationalizing it, I would much prefer a ratcheting case. If that one without the flap comes out with the ratcheting thingy...I'm sold!

lgreenberg
03-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Will it be a fixed ratcheting clip (like the OEM) or the stud and clip stlye, but ratcheting, like you have now?

Fireproof
03-18-2006, 03:15 PM
Wow you guys get up early. I just finished my first cup of coffee and here are the pics...

http://webpages.charter.net/stomas/STi1.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/stomas/STi2.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/stomas/STi3.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/stomas/STi4.jpg

Back to my coffee now.

Enjoy.

Oooh - I really like that! Less bulk, easily accessible without the flap. And if they are saying a ratchet is coming (I like the OEM ratchet clip), then I'm definitely sold. But this looks attractive even without the ratchet.

What was the total price for it? (Sorry - I haven't read every single post).

Salo Rechtszaid
03-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Will it be a fixed ratcheting clip (like the OEM) or the stud and clip stlye, but ratcheting, like you have now?
After giving it a lot of thought, we decided on a stud and clip.
Igreenberg, start saving, you will have to get a bunch new cases with this clip, LOL.

pyro451
03-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Salo is the one at Forte who helped me with my custom Forte case (see post #61 below). He's the best. Great and prompt communication and an "I'll make it happen" approach to almost any request.

The guys at Fortte are all really helpful. I want to be sure not to overlook Peter, the rep that helped start this thread when I made my custom case request.

I believe I have the same sickness as Lgreenberg now. I have one of these w/o any clip or stud and also one with ratcheting clip on order already.

gadgetjunkies
03-18-2006, 06:10 PM
Just talked to Salo and ordered the STi Vertical Pouch case with the slimmer fixed belt clip without the flap and logo. Thanks Salo. Talk about customer service!

John

pyro451
03-18-2006, 06:48 PM
Just talked to Salo and ordered the STi Vertical Pouch case with the slimmer fixed belt clip without the flap and logo. Thanks Salo. Talk about customer service!

John

Another new clip option?!

Will I have to own FOUR of these. :-(

Probably not as I think the ratchet will be the best of the bunch.

Sparkomatic
03-18-2006, 07:05 PM

John

I think I'd like the ratchet style as well but what's the slimmer fixed belt clip? Any pictures anywhere?

gadgetjunkies
03-18-2006, 07:31 PM
I think I'd like the ratchet style as well but what's the slimmer fixed belt clip? Any pictures anywhere?
It's nothing new just the fixed belt clip on the STi Vertical Pouch without the flap.

pyro451
03-18-2006, 10:08 PM
It's nothing new just the fixed belt clip on the STi Vertical Pouch without the flap.

Thanks for the pic. Saves me from getting this one. A clip orthoganal to my belt would definitely be an issue when sitting or driving.

gadgetjunkies
03-18-2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the pic. Saves me from getting this one. A clip orthoganal to my belt would definitely be an issue when sitting or driving.
I cover a large territory for my job and always take my phone and holster off while driving. I just like the slim profile.

delmarco
03-22-2006, 12:32 AM
they look better on the site.

http://www.fortte.com/images/pda-cases/blackberry/8700-series/sti-vertical/zoom/portada.jpg

as well as these two others from the fortte site

http://www.fortte.com/images/pda-cases/blackberry/8700-series/lateral-pouch/zoom/portada.jpg

http://www.fortte.com/images/pda-cases/blackberry/8700-series/vertical-pouch/zoom/portada.jpg

delmarco
03-22-2006, 12:36 AM

Where do you get the slimmer clip from?

The fortte cases are awesome looking except for the bulk swivel clip...I prefer the morestable slim clip.

Does fortte have that option?

pyro451
03-22-2006, 06:20 AM

The fortte cases are awesome looking except for the bulk swivel clip...I prefer the morestable slim clip.

You can contact Fortte by email (from their site) and they are very amenable to customizing any case.

The pics from their site appear to show an improvement over the original case that I received. Note the elastic at one edge. This will likely allow the case to be used with the extented battery & door. I would ask them to be sure, but it looks that way.

As a side note, I hope the cases look better on their site. I bet they paid someone to take those pics, whereas the others posted here are all amateur (mine included).

gadgetjunkies
03-22-2006, 07:41 AM

Email Salo and tell him what you want, he'll get you fixed up. Great to work with. Sounds like you want what I ordered last week. Here's his email addy that he posted earlier in this thread. salo@<hidden>

littlejoe
03-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Many thanks for starting this thread ...and to Fortte for offering a discount code! I'm new to BlackBerrys, new to BlackBerry development (been in IT for 20 years, Java for about 5 years, but completely new to BB). The forum is a huge boon to newbies like me, and specific to this thread, I've just ordered the Fortte "Open Face PDA Case Black With Belt Clip" ...been using swivel clips on phones for years, and do like the security of that strap across the top. But thanks to this thread and the good folks at Fortte, I learned of a great case AND saved 25%.

Many thanks.

Johnny Utah22
03-23-2006, 05:51 PM

Is that a thumbnail of the vertical pouch from fortte that you ordered? If so, thats the one I want. How much was it and how long from order to delivery, I really like that case.

dooks88
03-23-2006, 07:08 PM
i ordered my STi vertical pouch on tuesday @<hidden> 11:55 pm, and just took delivery (thursday @<hidden> 6:30 pm). pretty fast delivery for standard shipping. great product too. the clip could be slimmer, but oh well.

Johnny Utah22
03-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Does yours have the spring clip with the metal nipple or is it the fixed clip like the thumbnail picture at the top of the page posted by gadgetjunkie?

gadgetjunkies
03-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Is that a thumbnail of the vertical pouch from fortte that you ordered? If so, thats the one I want. How much was it and how long from order to delivery, I really like that case.
I ordered the STi vertical pouch with the fixed belt clip like the first pic I posted. I also ordered it without the Forte logo on the front. Since it is considered a custom order it will take a couple weeks. Should have it in a week or so.

Johnny Utah22
03-23-2006, 08:58 PM
I wonder if it would be considered a custom order if I just wanted the fixed clip. I really don't care if they leave the logo on.

pyro451
03-23-2006, 09:18 PM
I wonder if it would be considered a custom order if I just wanted the fixed clip. I really don't care if they leave the logo on.

You should email Salo or Peter (both have posted in this thread) at Fortte and ask. They are very responsive and helpful.

I received email today indicating my STi case without clip (for coat pocket and/or briefcase use) shipped out. I will post pics when I get it.

Thank again to Peter & Salo at Fortte for the quick response and willingness to customize a great product line!!

cwgoff
03-27-2006, 10:02 AM
I just ordered my STi from Fortte. I called them to verify a feature on the case, and then ordered directly on the phone.

What a pleasure to deal with them. I did not catch the name of the guy I worked with, but he was extremely helpful and friendly. I ordered the case with 2-day delivery, so I should be hooked up this Wednesday.

For what it is worth, my question had to do with the metal stud for the belt clip. I wanted just a smooth case, no clip or stud. I could not tell from the Fortte website or the comments in this forum if the pouch sans clip still came with stud. I could not imagine that it did, but all of the pics that I saw showed the stud. Anyway, it is available completely without the stud. The only thing on the outside of the case is the Fortte shield.

This may have been addressed in this or another thread. I read pages 1 and 3, but I skipped page 2. If this is repeat info, I'm sorry.

Thanks to all for the info. This is exactly the case I wanted. I'm off now to cancel my order for the OEM case with the flap on top.

Regards

djeddiebear
03-27-2006, 10:28 PM
I ordered mine with a swivel clip and no logo's on the front. I hope it comes soon. :)

pyro451
03-28-2006, 11:54 AM
My STi vertical with NO clip just arrived. Fortte has already made improvements on the design!

The sides and bottom now include a small strip of elastic which snugs the case up against the berry. It appears it would fit the extended battery pack too (I do not have one so I can not test it).

I will post pictures tonight or tomorrow morning.

Johnny Utah22
03-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Just ordered the STi vertical with fixed clip over the phone with Salo, got the discount with the code. He said they will soon be offering the STi with your choice of clips, they are waiting on production. It seems like these guys really listen to their customers and try to accomodate them, that's rare in today's market place.

gadgetjunkies
03-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Just ordered the STi vertical with fixed clip over the phone with Salo, got the discount with the code. He said they will soon be offering the STi with your choice of clips, they are waiting on production. It seems like these guys really listen to their customers and try to accomodate them, that's rare in today's market place.
I ordered the exact same case from Salo about a week ago. Got my tracking number today. I'll post pics once I get it.

Johnny Utah22
03-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Can't wait to see them.

ragin cajun
03-28-2006, 08:54 PM
I emailed Fortee today also because I like the pouch but would like the security of a lockable flap like on the open pda case. The lady told me it would be $250 just for the flap. Damn, thats steep. Its not like I wanted a whole new design. But whatever, I guess I will try another case that has a lockable flap. I like the cutout in the pouch for the speaker and that design with a closure would be nice.

gadgetjunkies
03-28-2006, 08:58 PM
I emailed Fortee today also because I like the pouch but would like the security of a lockable flap like on the open pda case. The lady told me it would be $250 just for the flap. Damn, thats steep. Its not like I wanted a whole new design. But whatever, I guess I will try another case that has a lockable flap. I like the cutout in the pouch for the speaker and that design with a closure would be nice.
Is this what you're talking about?

ragin cajun
03-28-2006, 09:15 PM
Thats basically the case I want but a cutout for the speaker integrated into the flap and the case is all I wanted to add. I work in a somewhat noisey environment and the speaker is muffled to the point where I cant hear it ring. Now this is when I have it in my pocket with the oem plastic clip. Add this to the case above and you have yourself a foolproof design. Pic from lgreenberg.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/lgreenberg/Blackberry/Open%20Fortte/IMG_0436.jpg

BBRaffey
03-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Have you upgraded to Bharti? If you do, the sonar ring tone on loud profile will blow your ears off. You will want the speaker covered.

ragin cajun
03-28-2006, 09:22 PM
I have Barti and again in my pocket its still muffled. I think there would be a few people who would be interested in something like this design.

BBRaffey
03-28-2006, 09:26 PM
I just received my tracking number for my second Fortte case. I probably have had more cases than LGreenberg. Believe me, I defer to him as the casemeister, it just that I have been around a lot longer. Everyone's life style and tastes are different. If you cannot find a ready made case to your liking, Fortte seems like the best bet to build you one.

ragin cajun
03-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Oh yeah they said they would build it but for $250 I can almost buy another BB. I never thought adding a flap and a hole would cost so much. WOW.

gadgetjunkies
03-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Oh yeah they said they would build it but for $250 I can almost buy another BB. I never thought adding a flap and a hole would cost so much. WOW.
Talk to Salo at Fortte. His email is listed above in one of my posts. I changed some stuff around and it didn't cost any more.

Sparkomatic
03-29-2006, 12:59 AM
I have a STi vertical pouch arriving this Thursday from Fortte. Can't wait! It's Brandy color with no logo or embossing on the front, open top and fixed belt clip. Very easy to order and quick turn around for a custom case!

pyro451
03-30-2006, 04:37 PM
I just received an email from Peter at Fortte with a link to the new clip options on the STi. I fear I will end up in Lgreenberg's situation. Must...resist...more...cases...

Link to clips (http://www.fortte.com/scr/showproduct.php/151)

Enjoy!

pyro451
03-30-2006, 04:42 PM
I have Barti and again in my pocket its still muffled. I think there would be a few people who would be interested in something like this design.

Just curious, if you are putting the case in your pocket why do you want a flap over the top? It seems like that would add bulk without much added security (over the pocket itself).

lgreenberg
03-30-2006, 05:24 PM
I just received an email from Peter at Fortte with a link to the new clip options on the STi. I fear I will end up in Lgreenberg's situation. Must...resist...more...cases...

Enjoy!

They look awesome.

Can't wait for UPS tomorrow! :-o

yustonuser
03-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Those clip options look great! Now, the ratchet clip is different than the OEM design (I guess I expected it would be like that) so has anyone had experience with clip likes that and do they hold up? What I don;t want is a clip where when you hook it on, the weight of the phone pulls down and doesn't stay flush with your side. Also - does the fixed clip have an end where you can press it up to release? It kind of looks like that.

ragin cajun
03-30-2006, 10:54 PM
Just curious, if you are putting the case in your pocket why do you want a flap over the top? It seems like that would add bulk without much added security (over the pocket itself).

I actually clip the case to the inside of my pocket. It never goes to the bottom of the pocket. On occasion while bending I have pushed the entire BB in the holster out of my pocket onto the ground. This is just a peev of mine where I work. Its nasty out sometimes and the added protection of knowing even if I do drop the BB that it will indeed stay in the case. I guess Im just picky.

ragin cajun
03-30-2006, 10:56 PM

Enjoy!

Can I have this link you speak of?

Oops I found it!!!!!!!!!!!!

BBRaffey
03-30-2006, 11:08 PM
Fortte has come through for us all. If you cannot find what you want here then I would suggest that you just give it up

montecristo
03-30-2006, 11:55 PM
lgreenberg, does the one that you have, with the flap, have a cut out for the speaker? I could not tell in the pics. I also noticed that the speaker is facing you, with it on your side, instead of away from you. Does this muffle the sound any?

montecristo
03-31-2006, 12:01 AM
I read on and I think the answer is, no cut out for speaker.

Sparkomatic
03-31-2006, 12:16 AM

Enjoy!

That metal clip looks pretty good... kinda like Nutshell case style. I just got the fixed clip and it's a pretty sturdy clip. I was afraid it'd be too bendable and not strong enough but it's great!

pyro451
03-31-2006, 05:45 AM
I actually clip the case to the inside of my pocket. It never goes to the bottom of the pocket. On occasion while bending I have pushed the entire BB in the holster out of my pocket onto the ground. This is just a peev of mine where I work. Its nasty out sometimes and the added protection of knowing even if I do drop the BB that it will indeed stay in the case. I guess Im just picky.

Actually, that makes perfect sense. I guess I never thought of it. I bet Peter or Salo will take care of your request for a reasonable price.

FightingDevil
03-31-2006, 09:11 AM
Love the options! Ratcheting Swivel Clip is exactly what I want!! Now I just have to wait a couple of weeks so I can buy it..this way the wife won't be suspicious!! :)