PDA

View Full Version : Verizon user 7130e or 7250?

Watrat
03-04-2006, 05:19 PM
Good afternoon,
Have been following the threads here for a few days, as well as at other sites. Please excuse the Noob-ness of these questions but could use some advice. Am a current Verizon customer and am hesitant to switch to another provider so I have been looking at the 7130e and 7250 and they each seem to have some benefits but my one concern is the typing on the 7130e. Can you easily get used to the two letters per key typing or is it something to just live with because the phone is that much better than the 7250? I am tired of the constant tapping on my motorola phone now to type simple text messages and need to have something to give me better access to my office for data while on the road. Besides the 7250 not having evdo and its awkward size how does this phone compare for a new blackberry user?

Thanks very much

Tom

apple85
03-04-2006, 05:47 PM
let me put it this way coming from a regular 3 push phone and then a treo with full keyboard to the 7130e i love sure type once you and it get used to each other and words you common use and spell a particular way it's awesome i can punch full emails out in nothing flat.

Raven
03-04-2006, 06:35 PM
Go with the 7130e, it's smaller and easier to talk on, more phone like.
You get use to the keyboard in no time, and it will learn words that are not in its wordlist.
And it has a speaker phone (y)...
But were i live and use my phone there is no EVDO just 1X which is still fast for what i us my 7130 for.

Watrat
03-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Thanks very much for taking the time to reply..I really do appreciate it. How is the phone quality on the 7130 and will it work with any bluetooth headset? Are there programs I can use that will allow voice dial and are there AIM and Messenger chat functions?

On a seperate question...has anyone tried buying a phone from a third part vendor? Verizon is forcing me to pay retail price of $419.99 while I saw through phonescoop.com places like letstalk.com and wirefly are charging $149..anyone have any dealings with them or any third party vendor I could possibly get the phone for less expensively?

Again, thanks

Tom

Girion
03-04-2006, 10:13 PM
I've converted (for about a month now) from a corporate 7250 to a personal 7130e and I love the difference. The phone size is much easier with the form factor of the 7130 and the suretype, while a bit much at first, is adapted too without too much trouble. I still get the occasional "is" instead of "us" but quite honestly I can type much faster and more accurately now with the sure type than I ever did with the full QWERTY on the 7250.

I think you'll enjoy the 7130 and still find it highly effective for your business use related needs.

Watrat
03-05-2006, 12:19 AM
Thanks again for the advice and posts..its great too find this community! I guess my last question would be buying from a third party retailer since Verizon will only dea with me on a full retail. I mentioned a couple of websites previously and was wondering what the experience was with those. My phone plan right now is under business and not on the personal plan.

Thanks

Tom

AL904
03-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Thanks again for the advice and posts..its great too find this community! I guess my last question would be buying from a third party retailer since Verizon will only dea with me on a full retail. I mentioned a couple of websites previously and was wondering what the experience was with those. My phone plan right now is under business and not on the personal plan.

Thanks

Tom

If you go with a deal from one of the web retailers, you will have to get a new contract, account, and phone number. If you are still under contract on your existing Verizon account, you will pay an early termination fee to Verizon, so your total price will be close to what Verizon is quoting. I would try getting another price from Verizon on your existing plan. Check with another Verizon store, or call in to national sales.

I have used both the 7250 and 7130e. In my opinion, the 7130e is far better in every respect than the 7250. Two advantages of the 7130e that haven't been mentioned here are: 1. the screen on the 7130e is superior to the 7250, and 2. the 7130e has double the memory of the 7250. Even though I seldom use my Blackberry for voice (I carry another phone for voice,) I prefer the 7130e. It doesn't take long to get over the learning curve on Suretype.

Teledatageek
03-05-2006, 09:36 AM
Good afternoon,
Have been following the threads here for a few days, as well as at other sites. Please excuse the Noob-ness of these questions but could use some advice. Am a current Verizon customer and am hesitant to switch to another provider so I have been looking at the 7130e and 7250 and they each seem to have some benefits but my one concern is the typing on the 7130e. Can you easily get used to the two letters per key typing or is it something to just live with because the phone is that much better than the 7250? I am tired of the constant tapping on my motorola phone now to type simple text messages and need to have something to give me better access to my office for data while on the road. Besides the 7250 not having evdo and its awkward size how does this phone compare for a new blackberry user?

Thanks very much

Tom

Tom - I have had a Verizon 7250 since they came out (2/05).

1. They are EDVO capable, I upgraded my 7250 software in November and had Verizon activate the feature. I also have the tethering option, works great.

2. I tried a 7130e a few week ago when my 7250 broke. I'm happy to be back with a 7250. Don't get me wrong, I the 7130e is a nice phone with a great screen. I missed the 7250 form factor and all the keys although Suretype works pretty well.

So, my next phone will be a 8700 with Verizon in a few (I hope only a few) months.

scaredpoet
03-05-2006, 09:48 AM
The only real complaint I have with the 7130e is the screen. It's a GREAT screen, indoors, but even us IT guys venture outdoors once in a while. :) And I've noticed that the screen looks very "cloudy" in sunlight, so much so that on very bright sunny days, the 7130e is near impossible to read without finding some shade.

I switched form a 7250 to a 7130e. I don't really regret the switch, save for the fact that the 7250s screen, although being lower res, is viewable in any light.

Watrat
03-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Tom - I have had a Verizon 7250 since they came out (2/05).

1. They are EDVO capable, I upgraded my 7250 software in November and had Verizon activate the feature. I also have the tethering option, works great.

2. I tried a 7130e a few week ago when my 7250 broke. I'm happy to be back with a 7250. Don't get me wrong, I the 7130e is a nice phone with a great screen. I missed the 7250 form factor and all the keys although Suretype works pretty well.

So, my next phone will be a 8700 with Verizon in a few (I hope only a few) months.

Thanks for the reply. How is the 7250 as a phone..eithr through the unit or via bluetooth? Is there any news on the 8700 and when it might be available? Might it be worth waiting?

Thanks

Tom

whsbuss
03-07-2006, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the reply. How is the 7250 as a phone..eithr through the unit or via bluetooth? Is there any news on the 8700 and when it might be available? Might it be worth waiting?

Thanks

Tom

If Verizon releases an 8700, it won't be till late summer this year.

Raven
03-13-2006, 07:56 PM
The only real complaint I have with the 7130e is the screen. It's a GREAT screen, indoors, but even us IT guys venture outdoors once in a while. :) And I've noticed that the screen looks very "cloudy" in sunlight, so much so that on very bright sunny days, the 7130e is near impossible to read without finding some shade.

I switched form a 7250 to a 7130e. I don't really regret the switch, save for the fact that the 7250s screen, although being lower res, is viewable in any light.

I have not had the probelm with my screen and i use my phone in very bright area's (@<hidden>+9600' on the slopes of a ski area)
I am IT @<hidden> a very large company that owns a lot of ski resorts.

I am still looking for a good case\skin for the 7130...

zippy1901
03-15-2006, 12:37 PM
One good thing about the Verizon pouch is you can use the flap for shade in bright conditions. I just ordered the Gizmoskin case for the 7130e, does't look like it has as large a flap as the vzw case and the clip is smaller too. Can't have it all I guess.