PDA

View Full Version : 7100i(NEXTEL) vs. 8700c(cingular)...

oyster rsx
03-04-2006, 05:31 PM
hey all i was wondering if i could get all of your opinions...
iam torn between which bb to get and i need your input to help me chose
i know this might be a stupid thread but any help would be appreciated...

i have both nextel and cingular accounts and need a blackberry for the following: internet, email, and text messaging.

with that said here the pros and cons for each carrier and phone.

cingular 8700c:

pros: full keyboard, better coverage - but call clarity isnt as good, bigger screen, great battery life, freedom to go to any state and have service.

cons: dust issue under screen, no gps in phone for telenav, and no program for voicecontrol.

NEXTEL 7100i:

pros: phone gets great service for nextel better than any other nextel phone in my opinion, size of it for phone functions, gps and telenav, program available for voice activated dialing (VoiceControl), direct connect feature for easy communication

cons: small keyboard, not as good service - but call calrity is better, worried about getting service when i visit california(san diego area) and florida(orlando area), direct connect feature is also a con because if iam on a dc call i will loose an incoming phone call and caller will get my voicemail.

p.s. the nextel blackberry 7520 is not an option the screen hurts my eyes.

thank you very much for reading this mess, but any help is apprecaited...thanks again.

go2duke
03-04-2006, 07:31 PM
cons: small keyboard, not as good service - but call calrity is better, worried about getting service when i visit california(san diego area) and florida(orlando area), direct connect feature is also a con because if iam on a dc call i will loose an incoming phone call and caller will get my voicemail.

p.s. the nextel blackberry 7520 is not an option the screen hurts my eyes.

thank you very much for reading this mess, but any help is apprecaited...thanks again.

ok I will attack a couple...
1. Orlando I know is good... rule of thumb with nextel is stay close to interstates (roughly 15-20 miles either side) or major metro areas.
2. DC is not a con... just don't use. It's a feature like SMS on a Cing phone.. don't want, don't pay for/use.

You left on off.. text messaging on Nextel is limited to emails and PIN messages. No SMS.

I am a "fairly" loyal nextel customer but even I have wanted to drift to the 8700c but as I have always heard, the phone is never worth changing mobile providers. If you have Cingular and like them ok now, then use the 8700 as it will do everything you want and the cons are minor or have workarounds (i.e. gps)

Good luck.

-G2D

oyster rsx
03-04-2006, 08:01 PM
ok, thank you iam guessing you have an 7100i correct?

go2duke
03-04-2006, 08:29 PM
7520... I am going to wait for the next version most likely. I like the full keyboard. Most of our users are on 71XX series and like them but I going to hang out with QWERTY all by my lonesome. :-)

-G2D

go2duke
03-04-2006, 08:30 PM
Oh and before you ask... I hav eno clue when the 8700-ish style BB will be in Nextel. Nobody does.

southwestcomm
03-04-2006, 10:54 PM
There won't be an 8700 series on iDEN. Expect to see it on the CDMA network instead.

While the 7100 doesn't support SMS it does support MMS - works all the same.

Postalrecon
03-04-2006, 11:57 PM
There won't be an 8700 series on iDEN. Expect to see it on the CDMA network instead.

While the 7100 doesn't support SMS it does support MMS - works all the same.
and what sucks about that, if i remember correctly is that nextel charges 20 bucks a month just for that, id rather email phones instead

oyster rsx
03-05-2006, 02:35 AM
so everybody would lean towards the 8700c then?

rwashing
03-25-2006, 10:17 PM
8700c the right choice

1badss
03-26-2006, 09:58 AM
7100i does have sms

scassel
03-26-2006, 10:16 AM
It does not. If you try it, you will see that it can not be done. It has MMS but this feature is not included in the unlimited data plan and it costs extra for each use. This topic has been discussed in many threads on the forum. Of course, it does not matter as you can just send an e-mail to the phone.

Scott

* Check this thread... http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=29709