PDA

View Full Version : POLL - Zen's most scary part

Stinsonddog
03-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Just for the heckof it, what part of the Zen upgrade (other than worrying some guy from Seattle who we all appreciate was going to beat your head with drumsticks) caused you the most concern and worry.

For me is sure felt like the wipe of the existing OS would never end, and the reboot, started to get me going too.

Seattle18
03-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Just for the heckof it, what part of the Zen upgrade (other than worrying some guy from Seattle who we all appreciate was going to beat your head with drumsticks) caused you the most concern and worry.

For me is sure felt like the wipe of the existing OS would never end, and the reboot, started to get me going too.
Nicely worded. :smile:

I didn't like the long delay while going through the upgrade process - it felt like the wipe was going to destroy everything. Also, to be honmest, I was a bit hesitant to overwrite my OS with a version from Bharti!

Sparkomatic
03-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Same here. You know, I've owned Treo's and Pocket PC's and never worried about blowing those up when I was loading updates or beta software. But, man oh man, if my BB had died... I would have been on the floor crying!

It was very stressful and I'm now seeking psychiatric help.

hf1khal
03-04-2006, 07:51 PM
I was worried too on doign the upgrade. I went with it thinking that I would have to place everything back but all was there in the end. The worst part of it was when it was restoring the device info which got stuck at around 80% for about 20 minutes. I unpluged it and repluged it and it then showed me that all was a success. IM+ gave me an issue, (ver3.2.1) but then a a omplete uninstale and delet of the app from the app loader a reset and re-install did the fix and all is runing.

lgreenberg
03-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Having already done a wipe and OS reload when I switched to BES (because of some error) I remembered those lengthy waits wondering if the update was actually doing anything or if it was frozen (like when it's erasing everthing.)

I was still slightly concerned but I figured who cares? I'd just buy myself a new unit if I screw it up. I need a dust free one anyway. :smile:

cjhp
03-04-2006, 08:43 PM
I agree with Seattle18 the OS from Bharti was the part that worried me the most. Especially during the reboot that seems to take an eternity to complete. I think it really on took about 8-9 minutes but when you are waiting and thinking have I just fried my new 8700 BB, it seemed longer. I would do it again in a heart beat. The support here is great as well!! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with all....

xkon
03-04-2006, 10:57 PM
Ive literally tried almost all OS's so it was not scary at all... I try a new one every few weeks if I come across it!

...I can reactivate myself on my BES though, things would be different if I wasnt able to do that.

did anyone have an issue restoring after the upgrade? My content store never did restore - I had to download my ringtones again after .258 and up

celcius
03-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Since I've played around with re-installing the original OS, I learned to have patience with the reboot afterwards. But the first time I did re-install the OS that long delay scared the crap out of me.

AlbertoM
03-05-2006, 12:14 AM
Some of my calendar items are now duplicated (the all day ones). And if I delete one they both get deleted. Also when I scroll in Agenda view it hops from March 8 to October 13, although it is ok in day view or if I enter a date. Will figure it out eventually. Otherwise it is a great theme with way better sound and volume!

Oh yeah, the scary part...it hung up at 11% restored and waited and waited...i then started it as a BES activation and waited and waited....but everything was there. Just in case I had IT reset and then I reactivated BES. All is well....

jibi
03-05-2006, 12:45 AM
babies, the lot of you ... babies! :razz:

justin.culp
03-06-2006, 04:24 PM
I also load OS's when the come out and end up reloading OS's every other week or so....no stress here.

Lex Luthor
03-06-2006, 07:35 PM
After messing around with the .alx file a few times everything finally worked. The 30min wait while to load up on my BlackBerry didn't bother me and everything was restored just fine. Thanks again to everyone who had helped me out through the process.