PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry=Best college tool ever

fatum
03-04-2006, 07:40 PM
I don't know if I'm alone here or not. But I think that RIM should start pushing other uses for the Blackberry than business people. I work a full time job and attend college full time and I have to say that the most important tool in my life is the Blackberry, ok a tie between my 7100 and powerbook. But think about this, while I'm on the bus going to school I can get some last minute info from other students/professors via SMS/Email. If I'm running late email the professor; my school is very strict about attendance. Working on a group project the word doc can get emailed to me and I'm able to proof read and send questions back if I have any. The only thing I would say needs to be improved is the fact I can't edit the document without a $150 application (at least that I know of). This a huge selection of customers that either don't know what a blackberry is good for or believes that it's only for their parents. And don't forget that assignments can have a reminder set so you don't forget.

[edit]
Just found a word document editor on handango for 59.95 but it would still be nice to have this included. But for 59.95 it going to be my next software purchase for my blackberry.

Ashgotti
03-04-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm in university and I agree. My use is a bit diff, I have to take the bus to campus (it's downtown) and the avg bus ride is 40 min. with mobipocket reader I transfer pdfs, slideshows, or word docs for my classes and read. Also read ebooks. I have my exam, assignments, and work sched in it. love it.

bertimus2002
03-05-2006, 03:13 PM
I also have a BlackBerry and use it for college. It is great to be able to get group updates on my phone with emails, etc. I also like the ability to use it as my entire planner instead of carrying around a big calendar book. I only wish I would've gotten it sooner than last fall.

andrebsd
03-05-2006, 05:36 PM
I got a BlackBerry; full time student aswell. I just use it as a laptop replacement; got tired of lugging my thinkpad back and forth since the battery life isn't great and I would have to find a wifi signal. - Now I don't worry about the battery or internet; It just works.

Yeah the smaller keyboard can't be typed on that quick, but still... it works for notes, I'm not typing term papers and thesis' on there for sure. I kind of don't like the lack of multimedia functions; as it would be nice to get streaming video once in a while.. but then again, if I had that function I probably wouldn't listen to the lextures. Another advantage; not to many toys on the BlackBerry... tons of toys on the laptop to waste time.