PDA

View Full Version : 7130e on EV-DO when tethering?

overmycrossbody
03-06-2006, 04:36 PM
I just got my 7130e and I'm on Verizon. Using the VZAccess software, I get speeds around 600-700Kbps. How do I know if I am using the EV-DO network or using the 1xRTT network? I would like to be able to tell through the software as well as the phone... now, on the phone I see "1XEV" but I don't know if this is dynamic or if it's just a label... does this indicate that I am indeed on the EV network? Thanks for answering the n00bish question.

GeekNJ
03-06-2006, 04:43 PM
1x = No data services, just voice
1X = the older data services (including email and browsing)
1XEV = EVDO is enabled

It shows on the phone to indicate which of the above. Haven't tried tethering so I don't know if it's displayed on the VZAccess software.

overmycrossbody
03-06-2006, 05:12 PM
1x = No data services, just voice
1X = the older data services (including email and browsing)
1XEV = EVDO is enabled

It shows on the phone to indicate which of the above. Haven't tried tethering so I don't know if it's displayed on the VZAccess software.

Mucho thanks my good man...! To report my useless opinion... for the amount of internet surfing I do at home (0.5 - 1 hr daily average?) I am going to cancel my cable internet service... it's probably less reliable than verizon's EV network anyway. It's not wailing fast, but 100KB/sec isn't bad at all... it sure beats the old 14.4 dialup days... 3.0KB/s was wailing fast back then I remember... ahh times have changed. :-)

overmycrossbody
03-08-2006, 11:54 AM
In XP, if I go to Control Panel, Network Connections, and look at the properties of the VZW dialup connection, the modem it's using is called "Verizon Wireless Phone HS (1xRTT) (COM7)" My understanding is that 1xRTT is much slower than 1XEV. Is this correct? If so, is it possible my connection is slower than it should be? Under the "modem configuration" box, the maximum speed is set to 230400bps. Now, this sounds awful slow to me. We're talking 225Kbps, or 28KBps. So why was I able to download a file at 100KBps? Maybe this setting has no real effect?

In short, I just want to ensure I'm getting top data speeds. Any advice would be appreciated.