PDA

View Full Version : Open Internet/WiFi

pbarber
03-07-2006, 02:26 AM
I recently purchased the 7130e. I decided not to purchase the Verizon Data plan as I assumed the Wifi ability would be more than adaquet. I must have missed something. Can the 7130e access an AP on its own? Whats the point of Wifi capabilty if you cant surf anywhere? Ive seen devices that need to be altered in a very minor ways to get around the prepaid data plans to use the internet for free. Whats the point of the tethering? Thoughts?
PKB

GeekNJ
03-07-2006, 06:37 AM
There is no wifi in the 7130e. There's bluetooth and the phone is EVDO enabled. You need the data plan for any data services including the higher speed EVDO which allows for email and internet messaging.

Tethering allows you to use the 7130e as a modem and connect it to a computer. The "modem" functionality allows you to use your computer vs the phone to access the Internet at the same speeds your phone is able to access the Internet.

NJBlackBerry
03-07-2006, 06:42 AM
Where did you read that the BlackBerry has WiFi capability?

No Data Plan - no e-mail, Internet or much of anything else.

pbarber
03-08-2006, 02:01 AM
This is where I got the original idea: http://dts.vzw.com/swf/vzaccess/vzaccess.htm
Under "using VZAccess Manager" then "connecting via WiFi"
Did I totall misunderstand this demo? Is it that the computer gives the device access to the net or that the devices acts as a WiFi card for the computer?

GeekNJ
03-08-2006, 06:34 AM
There is no wifi in the phone. I haven't used VZAccess so I don't know if they mean use a wifi connection on your computer or if they less then accurately reference wifi as using the 7130e in tethered access. I know I don't consider that "wifi".

NJBlackBerry
03-08-2006, 06:34 AM
You totally misread the demo. Totally. That is for the PC Card and not the BlackBerry.

You can use the 7130 as a modem via the USB cable - but NOT to WiFi; only to EVDO. And to do that, you need the BlackBerry Data Plan PLUS the $30/month EVDO tethering charge.

KindaSouthern
03-21-2006, 01:26 PM
Thats correct. The VZAccess software gives you the option to connect to the internet using your laptops WiFi card if it finds an open system. This is helpful when say... you stop by Panera bread... the blackberry gets decent speed for the laptop but the free wireless at the restaraunt is much faster with 802.11G soooo when VZAccess comes up, you simply select the WiFi selection and it uses it instead of the phone.