PDA

View Full Version : Europe + BlackBerrry... What to expect?

tfaz1
03-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Tomorrow, I will travel with my 8700c for the first time. I'm headed to France, The Netherlands and Spain.

I contacted T-Mobile and added Unlimited International BlackBerry for $19.99. They tell me this will cover all email charges while in Europe. I also made sure to keep International Call Blocking on so that I won't receive any calls. I plan to check my voicemail via calling card.

For those of you who have traveled internationally, I want to hear your thoughts and tips. Should I expect any hidden charges? How is coverage? What advice do you have for me when using my BlackBerry in Europe?

Many thanks!

NJBlackBerry
03-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Coverage should be very good in those countries. You will not get EDGE (at least in my travels I have not gotten EDGE) but your e-mail will be fine. Generally, GSM/GPRS coverage in Europe is outstanding, since that is the standard worldwide (except for North America, Japan and Korea).

Can't really speak to charges since my company gets the bill...

dc/dc
03-07-2006, 05:01 PM
I'm not sure how your data is going to work if you have int'l call blocking on. That seems like it may override your int'l unltd. BB.

I have T-Mo, have World Class Int'l Roaming, but I never take my BB, so I can't tell you about the BB service. I usually take my Nokia 6630 so I am absolutely positively covered (except for Korea).

Also, you should have EDGE in France, as I believe Orange has it deployed there in advance of the 8700f release.

NJBlackBerry
03-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Good point about EDGE in France. My last trip I was in the UK, which had zero EDGE coverage. Last summer (with a 7290) I had great GPRS coverage in France.

shona67
03-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Tomorrow, I will travel with my 8700c for the first time. I'm headed to France, The Netherlands and Spain.

I contacted T-Mobile and added Unlimited International BlackBerry for $19.99. They tell me this will cover all email charges while in Europe. I also made sure to keep International Call Blocking on so that I won't receive any calls. I plan to check my voicemail via calling card.

For those of you who have traveled internationally, I want to hear your thoughts and tips. Should I expect any hidden charges? How is coverage? What advice do you have for me when using my BlackBerry in Europe?

Many thanks!

I am curious. Does the Unlimited International Blackberry cover on roaming fees?

tfaz1
03-07-2006, 07:44 PM
I am curious. Does the Unlimited International Blackberry cover on roaming fees?

I think so. I asked two separate T-Mo employees if I would pay any additional charges other than the Unlimited International BB fee. Both said, "no." Anyone have any experience with this?

apasic
03-07-2006, 08:29 PM
from what i see edge is very similar to umts which is used on gsm in europe. ive had it running on a pocket pc before and its extremely fast ... maybe the blackberry can be setup to connect to umts somehow?

NJBlackBerry
03-07-2006, 08:30 PM
It can't. There is another model (8707) coming out that is UMTS compatible.

apasic
03-07-2006, 08:32 PM
too bad, i figured there must be something to work with umts in europe otherwise whats the point of the 8700 over there

dc/dc
03-07-2006, 09:45 PM
8707 should work in Japan too, which would be awesome!!

hbomb341
03-08-2006, 03:13 AM
Just FYI ... I am in Switzerland, been here for two weeks and two more to go, and I was able to find a network with EDGE; Sunrise. I am extramly impressed by how well my BB has worked over here and a lot of the locals have oggled my 8700C, kind of feel dirty. But who ever had the idea of unlimited international roaming was a freaken genius.

apasic
03-08-2006, 01:52 PM
how are the fees with cingular anyway? and how is their truly unlimited international package? im in canada but 99% of my business is in the usa. if i can get a cingular data plan in the usa will it carry thorugh with international when in canada? jus some quick info plz :P and thx

hbomb341
03-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Well Cingular fees are $45 unlimited Data with voice plan ($50 without) PLUS $20 for Unlimited International Data. Yes, I knwo people who have it and been out of the US for 3+ months no problems.

apasic
03-08-2006, 02:13 PM
65 usd sure as hell beats rogers 60cad "unlimited". i will definetely try to get that setup.

-oh and what if id like unlimted voice as well?

hbomb341
03-08-2006, 02:24 PM
I havn't seen that offered YET, but you would be roaming on voice since you are out of the US. If you are able to get it setup.

apasic
03-08-2006, 04:21 PM
ya voice would be interesting. i have a us bank account so shouldnt be hard to setup and i know alot of people in canada with cingular plans. just to figure out the voice

tfaz1
03-09-2006, 09:29 AM
Okay, guys. I'm in Paris (at the airport actually) and I'm only getting SOS coverage with my 8700c. I'm have a strong signal and am on Orange's network. I verified (via my.t-mobile.com) that I have International BB activated. So what's the deal?

I really don't expect anyone to know what the problem is, but, hey... I've got some time to kill before I go to The Netherlands tomorrow. Not to mention that after being awake for the last 24 hours, I think I'm officially hitting my third wind.

goaliemn
03-09-2006, 12:51 PM
I was in Paris a month ago with my 7100t. Worked great. It gets better as you get closer into town. Amsterdam has amazing coverage everywhere. I didn't get out of there. I was there November of last year.

dc/dc
03-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Okay, guys. I'm in Paris (at the airport actually) and I'm only getting SOS coverage with my 8700c. I'm have a strong signal and am on Orange's network. I verified (via my.t-mobile.com) that I have International BB activated. So what's the deal?

I really don't expect anyone to know what the problem is, but, hey... I've got some time to kill before I go to The Netherlands tomorrow. Not to mention that after being awake for the last 24 hours, I think I'm officially hitting my third wind.

Best suggestion I can give you is to call T-M and make sure that they have the physical permissions set for you to us internationally.

I got to Japan 3 weeks ago and could not sign onto a network even though the phone I was using had UMTS 2100 on it. I bought a phone card, called T-M int'l roaming CS, and the problem was I only had the billing setup for int'l roaming, not the physical permissions. Couple of mouse clicks by the rep, a power off/on by me, and I was connected to NTT DoCoMo. :)

Stelvio
03-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Does anyone have any additional info on a release date on an 8707. There were only two threads in Rumor Mill discussion group. It typically seams that there are lots of rumors before the actual release of a new device.

Would the 8707 be worth waiting for, I plan to get an 8700 soon.