PDA

View Full Version : Happiness = a second phone (Cingular 2125)

gadgetman
03-07-2006, 06:23 PM
I decided to get a second phone as a companion to the 8700c, to do the things that the 8700c can't do. I bought a Cingular 2125 and I have been very pleasantly surprised.

It's small, about half the size of the 8700c. It's exactly the same color as the 8700c. The OS is Windows Mobile 5.0. It uses EDGE. The screen is gorgeous. 240x320 and bright sharp colors. Now I have:

Camera (which takes superb pictures)
Video recorder
Ability to send still pictures and videos via e-mail or MMS
Ability to access any website including my bank (which the 8700c can't do)
Voice recording
Radio and TV streaming

It has great one handed operation. It is voice controlled - by voice tags.

The 2125 would never be a primary phone, but as a companion to the 8700c it's a winner. As the 2125 is so small, it's no hassle to carry it around as a second phone.

Having a Blackberry doesn't mean having to give up the bells and whistles that other phones have.

smassey321
03-08-2006, 08:23 AM
Can you receive a call while transfering data? That was my biggest problem with the mpx220. I missed 50% of my incoming calls :).

NLamis3
03-08-2006, 08:27 AM
I am glad to see that there are others who have an additional phone to compliment their BB - I use a Razr V3.

AlbertoM
03-08-2006, 08:28 AM
And you don't have push mail either. And did you get the 2125 or the 8125?

Stinsonddog
03-08-2006, 08:34 AM
What did the phone cost? Are you swapping SIM's or do you have 2 numbers? Are they charged the same way or do you have separate chargers (both wall and car)?

gadgetman
03-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Q: "Can you receive a call while transfering data? That was my biggest problem with the mpx220. I missed 50% of my incoming calls :)."

A: When I am streaming radio or TV, I can receive phone calls. However, I am only using the 8700c phone. The 2125 is the little brother, so to speak, for the things that the 8700c can't do.

Q: "I am glad to see that there are others who have an additional phone to compliment their BB - I use a Razr V3."

A: I am a true BB fanatic and love the 8700c, but there is no reason why we should deny ourselves the extra features that other phones have just because they cannot all be found in a BB. I am sure that there are other phones that fit the bill depending on your desires and needs. The key, as you say, is to COMPLEMENT the 8700c. Another key is that it must be small so that you don't think twice about carrying it around.

Q: "And you don't have push mail either. And did you get the 2125 or the 8125?"

I got the 2125. The 8125 is too big for a second phone. I think I could get push mail on the 2125 through a hosted exchange, but I don't need to as I have the 8700c.

Q: "What did the phone cost? Are you swapping SIM's or do you have 2 numbers? Are they charged the same way or do you have separate chargers (both wall and car)?"

A: $200 after rebate. The key to the second phone is that it must be cheap. $200 is not too bad. Re the charger, the 2125 battery is very very good. Don't need a car charger. I have two phone numbers, but it doesn't matter as I only use the 8700c phone.

ceebz
03-08-2006, 10:35 AM
So, you bought a second phone for a camera and MMS? http://justinmg.home.comcast.net/forums/gsindifferent.gif

Fireproof
03-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Meh - I'm a "one device" man. Some people say it's nice to just take a small phone out in your pocket, but the minute I did that, I'd miss my email. I live on email for work and personal. So then I'd have to carry two devices, and I hate that. Used to do it when I had a Palm and a Phone, but I've been loving it ever since I consolidated.

Different strokes...

:)

gadgetman
03-08-2006, 12:42 PM
So, you bought a second phone for a camera and MMS? http://justinmg.home.comcast.net/forums/gsindifferent.gif

No. For the following SIX features that the 8700c doesn't have:

1. Camera (which takes superb pictures)
2. Video recorder
3. Ability to send still pictures and videos via e-mail or MMS
4. Ability to access any website including my bank (which the 8700c can't do)
5. Voice recording (easier than typing notes)
6. Radio and TV streaming (works surprisingly well)

SlamMan
03-08-2006, 01:24 PM
I bought a t-mo MDA and returned it after using it for about 30 minutes.

Windows = Blek!

MDA/8125 and SDA/2125 are very nice looking phones though.

AlbertoM
03-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Actually I have to agree with Gadget. I lust after the 8125, but until we get MS Server push mail, which is still a ways off, I am sticking with BB. The 8125 is a fine looking machine (and so is the 2125, but I like the 8125 better). I own a host of software for WM5 that I can't use in the BB. And while the 2125 and 8125 only have voice tags, voice command and recognition is easily added.

Of course, when MS Server is updated, I will have to talk IT into it....

ceebz
03-08-2006, 02:29 PM
No. For the following SIX features that the 8700c doesn't have:

1. Camera (which takes superb pictures)
2. Video recorder
3. Ability to send still pictures and videos via e-mail or MMS
4. Ability to access any website including my bank (which the 8700c can't do)
5. Voice recording (easier than typing notes)
6. Radio and TV streaming (works surprisingly well)

The highlighted items all relate to the camera and MMS.

As for #4, I've been able to access any website i've wanted to with my BB, including my bank.

#'s 5 & 6, maybe you'd be better off with a PPC, instead of a BB?

It just seems like a waste to have to open a second line, for these novelty features.

ceebz
03-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Actually I have to agree with Gadget. I lust after the 8125, but until we get MS Server push mail, which is still a ways off, I am sticking with BB. The 8125 is a fine looking machine (and so is the 2125, but I like the 8125 better). I own a host of software for WM5 that I can't use in the BB. And while the 2125 and 8125 only have voice tags, voice command and recognition is easily added.

Of course, when MS Server is updated, I will have to talk IT into it....

I picked up an 8125 to sell on ebay when they were first released. The build quality and keyboard were subpar, IMO. Why have all that room for a keyboard and then space all of the keys so close together?

That, coupled with my dislike for the WM5 UI made selling it on ebay a no-brainer.

gadgetman
03-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Remember, we are talking about the ideal second phone, not the primary.

I would not give up my BB 8700c for love or money. For me, it's highly superior to the Cingular 8125 for e-mail, SMS, browsing, and all the PIM functions. The 8700c keyboard and screen are also superior.

As a businessperson, I can't have an iffy phone like the 8125 as the primary. The 8125 is too big and clunky for a second phone.

The 2125 is pretty tiny, half the size of the 8700c. The ideal 8700c companion, IMHO.

Incidentally, another nice point about having a camera on the second phone is that you still have a phone, the 8700c, without a camera for when you visit a camera-free zone.

ceebz
03-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Remember, we are talking about the ideal second phone, not the primary.

I would not give up my BB 8700c for love or money. For me, it's highly superior to the Cingular 8125 for e-mail, SMS, browsing, and all the PIM functions. The 8700c keyboard and screen are also superior.

As a businessperson, I can't have an iffy phone like the 8125 as the primary. The 8125 is too big and clunky for a second phone.

The 2125 is pretty tiny, half the size of the 8700c. The ideal 8700c companion, IMHO.

Incidentally, another nice point about having a camera on the second phone is that you still have a phone, the 8700c, without a camera for when you visit a camera-free zone.

Heh, I'll have to admit, I've just been playing devil's advocate. I also carry a second phone, an LG VX9800. But, not necessarily for the same reasons you do. My berry is with Cingular, while the LG is with Verizon. There are a few areas which I frequent, where Cingular service is spotty at best. I also use the LG as an mp3 player when I'm at a desk or lab for hours at a time.

And I'll admit, I do use the 9800 for the occasional picture taking and MMS. http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/shared/forum/emoticons/big_smile.gif

gadgetman
03-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Aha! So another second phone user is revealed!

AlbertoM
03-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Aha! So another second phone user is revealed!
Ahmmm....no, but rather a second second phone user......:smile: