PDA

View Full Version : Sprint 7250....EVDO!!!

hackorsack
03-08-2006, 07:45 AM
I upgraded my software and called in today to get a PRL update and I not have EVDO on my phone. I called Data Support and they guy had no idea that the 7250's were supporting EVDO. As soon as the PRL was updated, 1XEV started to show... Way to go Sprint!!

psuwtb
03-08-2006, 08:02 AM
So do we just call *2 and then ask a representative for a PRL update?

psuwtb
03-08-2006, 08:17 AM
I just called *2 and asked for a "roaming list update." She said sure not a problem and proceeded to send an update list. She had me hang up and call *2 again. After calling, I received a notice that there was an update for my phone and to wait approximately 1 minute for the update to occur. After ~1 minute, I was told that the update was complete. Tried resetting my BB, turning wireless off/on still no EVDO for me. I'm in the Wash DC metro area running 4.1. Any way to check the PRL list # to see if it was really updated?

psuwtb
03-08-2006, 08:21 AM
Tried *2 again, the update message still came up. Then..PRL download! Now 1XEV!!!

It's working here! Now we just need tethering...

dpeters11
03-08-2006, 10:33 AM
I tried this and got the first message to wait and didn't get EVDO. I called again and it didn't say anything about an update available. Still have 1X on a 4.1 7250.

Naked Wife
03-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Same here. No EVDO. I received the OTA software update 3 times already with no luck. When I call *2 my screen says activating. When I hang up is says activation unsuccessful.

southwestcomm
03-08-2006, 04:15 PM
EVDO will be supported, last I heard, April time frame. The 4.1 OS software upgrade enables the handset to utilize EVDO but Sprint hasn't made it available.

hcheun
03-11-2006, 05:30 AM
EVDO will be supported, last I heard, April time frame. The 4.1 OS software upgrade enables the handset to utilize EVDO but Sprint hasn't made it available.

Southwest, i think it might not be rolled out in your area, but Im in Metro Los Angeles, and I have EVDO active and working on my BB 7250 with the latest OS update from BB and the *2 PRL update (required two updates) and walla! I have 1XEV on my BB , and the kicker, you actually do recognize the speed difference. pages have been loading half the time it took me b4, and i use my BB to check my bank and pay stuff, and it's better than ever.

I think you need to talk to the actual "Blackberry" support group, alot of my friends who call in get routed to a regular data tech at sprint. One thing you have to watch out for, they have a seperate business division solely on blackberry and enterprise solutions, and they confirmed that EVDO is active and ready for use (so long as you have the update, which they are walking people through)

Hope everyon can do it and reap the rewards Thumbs up for sprint! (y) (y)

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/9161/blackberryevdo4oo.jpg
http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/525/blackberryevdo25dm.jpg

hcheun
03-11-2006, 05:51 AM
Tried *2 again, the update message still came up. Then..PRL download! Now 1XEV!!!

It's working here! Now we just need tethering...

Just like what psuwtb , it's more of persistence and seeing if you're area is covered for EVDO (remember the coverage maps is still growing , some areas are still 1xRTT) so the areas that don't have coverage wont' immediately swap over to EVDO , unless you enter an area that you know for sure has it.

When i did my PRL *2 update for the first time, the first attempt needed a couple of tries. the first attempted failed, when i called, the second succeeded. I called again to make sure, and another update downloaded, and then after that update and another "successful activation" screen, the arrows started moving, and the screen turned 1XEV all in upper. If you get this, test it out yourself. Ive had google, cnet, my isp page, all pages i normally go to, run a heck of alot faster. (especially google local, it's excellent with EV speeds! )

My advice to those that were as eager to me, make sure 1) you have the latest 4.1 update 2) have the sprint blackberry support number handy 3) make sure you have all PRL updates 4) once 1XEV certified, start rockimng on your fast blackberry. kudos for BB integrating future upgrade and scalability , i love my 7250! woohoo! crigey! lol ;-)

KSmoker
03-16-2006, 12:06 PM
hcheun, can you get me the PRL version you are currently on. (Type #help* at dial screen).

I've updated two devices in our company and both are now on the 20219 release with the 4.1 OS upgrade but the EV symbol shows for a minute after reboot and then disappears. I'm positive I'm in an EVDO zone as I use a Seirra wireless card and I'm located in Lenexa, KS (about 8 miles from Sprint HQ).

Thanks,

bnandreu
03-16-2006, 06:52 PM
hcheun, can you get me the PRL version you are currently on. (Type #help* at dial screen).

I've updated two devices in our company and both are now on the 20219 release with the 4.1 OS upgrade but the EV symbol shows for a minute after reboot and then disappears. I'm positive I'm in an EVDO zone as I use a Seirra wireless card and I'm located in Lenexa, KS (about 8 miles from Sprint HQ).

Thanks,

I just had the same issue. 1XEV for a few seconds and then gone. Called Sprint and the lady said that the 7250 didn't have the EVDO functionality. I guess there still are folks there who aren't in the know. I just don't like the fact that the 1XEV was there and now isn't. Argh!!!

justin99
03-16-2006, 08:41 PM
Will this work for verizon's 7250? I have 4.1 OS and i do not have evdo.

pjdrsd
03-16-2006, 11:18 PM
I can confirm EVDO on a 7250 for Sprint as well. Running 4.1. Called *2, asked for representative, asked for PRL update. Was told no problem, to hang up and call back in about 5 minutes. I had to call *2 about 5 times and kept getting the activation failed. Finally got it to take, phone chirped Activation Successful, arrows went crazy and then it said 1XEV. Ready to take it for a spin. Thanks for the heads up on this - been waiting for months now!

Naked Wife
03-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7250/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I sent the service book to my Berry and tried the PRL update again and finally got the beautiful 1XEV on my screen.

bnandreu
03-17-2006, 08:13 AM
Ok, I resend my service book from the BIS and my BES. For a few seconds after I receive the service book I show the beloved and anticipated 1XEV but then it disappears.

My question is: Do you have the "power vision" feature on your accounts? Is there anything other than the BB service that I need?

Thanks for your help!

psuwtb
03-17-2006, 09:00 AM
ksmoker--

I just did the HELP* for you and I can confirm that I am running PRL Version: 20219. I updated the PRL the first day this was annouced and after several tries have been in 1XEV in the Wash DC metro area ever since.

hackorsack
03-17-2006, 09:12 AM
Do we know if there will be any way to tether our BB's to our computers for EVDO speeds?

Naked Wife
03-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7250/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I'm also running with the 20219 PRL update.

bnandreu
03-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Psuwtb -

When you say "after several tries", do you mean you had them flag you for a PRL update several times? Thx.

Naked Wife
03-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Does it matter if your still running 4.0? I went to 4.1 before getting the PRL update, but I dont know if it was necessary.

KonTiki
03-17-2006, 01:15 PM
I believe that the important part is to have the software in your BB first then you do the PRL.

bnandreu
03-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Ok, a counterpart also has a 7250. We upgraded him to 4.1 then called for a PRL Update. After the update immediately he got the 1XEV. I on the other hand am getting the 1XEV every once and awhile for a minute or two at a time. I've already updated the PRL again. Sprint tech said they had an email saying that they hadn't officially launched yet and don't have any answers. Must be something with my plan???

bnandreu
03-18-2006, 09:41 PM
Hcheun, can you post the theme you're using? or at least the name so I can search for it? Thx.

Rushisawesome88
03-19-2006, 08:06 PM
I called sprint and asked the rep for a PRL update.....I waited for a while and then he came on and said that I had my update. Yet when I check via #HELP*,
my PRL version is 10029...seems like an older version.
Is this happening to anyone else? Do I just have to keep calling until they actually update it, or is there something else I have to do?

Blackberry 7250/OS 4.1

pjdrsd
03-19-2006, 08:34 PM
Bnandreu, The theme is called MacBerry and it is available for several different devices:

http://www.millenniastudio.com/MacBerry7100.html

Rushisawesome88, after calling the rep, you have to hang up and wait about 5 minutes. After waiting, call *2 and it will tell you an update is available and to stay on the line. As I mentioned above, it may take several times calling before you get the update successful dialog box. Then you should see the arrows go to work and then the EVDO comes up. Good luck.

braz
03-19-2006, 08:48 PM
I also have tried atleast 10 times and no luck. When I dial *2 its tells me there is a update and to please hold for another min. Once complete I end the call and I get a error telling me that its unsucessful.

I spoke to a bb rep @<hidden> sprint and she told me the same as bnandreu "Sprint tech said they had an email saying that they hadn't officially launched yet and don't have any answers. "

Any other advise would be great.

braz

Rushisawesome88
03-19-2006, 09:14 PM
My PRL was finally updated!....I waited a while then tried again....it worked!
thanks

klwebb
03-19-2006, 09:19 PM
What does PRL stand for? Is this a firmware update?

Rushisawesome88
03-19-2006, 10:18 PM
What does PRL stand for? Is this a firmware update?
Preferred Roaming List. I believe that it's some sort of list of towers that the blackberry (or any phone for that matter) is able to access, and I think we need to update it in order for the blackberry to acknowledge new EVDO towers.

And no, it's not a firmware update. That's a separate download...
Anybody, please correct me if I'm wrong.

klwebb
03-19-2006, 10:28 PM
that sounds right.

hcheun
03-20-2006, 04:16 AM

Thanks,

Hello all

First and for most, as i previously stated before, make sure you're talking to "enterprise" support, NOT regular data or Service Support call centers. I remember having conflicting stories from both data and serve support and Enterprise solutions. Enterprise solutions are the ones that can properly support and validate any questions on the blackberry.

As for the what my phone has ill list them:

Device Software Version: 4.1.0.273
H/W version : 2
PRL Version 20219
Network Scan Mode: Automatic
Band Class: 1
CDMA Channel 75

I recentley spoke to my rep, and he said that while they have not publisized the launch of the EVDO (or cancled /delayed what they promised; send out a txt message that it was ready) he said that the network is active and ready to be used. He obviously said that alot of the techs are out there upgrading the networks to comply, and so like the days of 1xRTT upgrades to all cell sites, it'll be a while till areas and phones can be configulred or upgraded to 1xEV.

Otherwise, he also reassured that whoever is able to get the PRL updates to work, will be able to blaze on the EVDO speeds. He also mentioned the problems and while they are aware, he said that it's not uncommon that people are running into the problems of getting the PRL updates and he obviously said the common answer "just keep trying till it's successful" He said that he would get back to me about the tethering questions, but he said that if anything they will be offering similar options like what verizon has for their 7250's.

braz
03-20-2006, 09:56 AM
Hello all

First and for most, as i previously stated before, make sure you're talking to "enterprise" support, NOT regular data or Service Support call centers. I remember having conflicting stories from both data and serve support and Enterprise solutions. Enterprise solutions are the ones that can properly support and validate any questions on the blackberry.

As for the what my phone has ill list them:

H/W version : 2
PRL Version 20219
CDMA Channel 75

I recentley spoke to my rep, and he said that while they have not publisized the launch of the EVDO (or cancled /delayed what they promised; send out a txt message that it was ready) he said that the network is active and ready to be used. He obviously said that alot of the techs are out there upgrading the networks to comply, and so like the days of 1xRTT upgrades to all cell sites, it'll be a while till areas and phones can be configulred or upgraded to 1xEV.

Otherwise, he also reassured that whoever is able to get the PRL updates to work, will be able to blaze on the EVDO speeds. He also mentioned the problems and while they are aware, he said that it's not uncommon that people are running into the problems of getting the PRL updates and he obviously said the common answer "just keep trying till it's successful" He said that he would get back to me about the tethering questions, but he said that if anything they will be offering similar options like what verizon has for their 7250's.

As you have suggested I finally got the correct # to Enterprise Support. I spoke to a great support guy FINALLY !

He tried his hardest to get my 7250 to take the PRL update but no go. He suggested that I take to phone into the local Sprint store so they can hard code the newest PRL update. And continued to say that if they cant get it to take request a new phone.

He showed me being on 10029 and said that is pretty old and that the newest 20219 will provide EVDO.

Off to the Sprint store at some point today.

braz

scaredpoet
03-20-2006, 10:32 AM
Will this work for verizon's 7250? I have 4.1 OS and i do not have evdo.

Yes, it works for Verizon. Just give VZW data tech support a call, and advise them you've udated your software and need to be provisioned for EVDO. Note that unlike Sprint, you also have the option to tether your 7250, for $15/month extra unlimited access, if you choose to do so. Just let the tech know you also want "BroadbandAccess Connect" added to your account.

Once that's all done, hang up and do a *22899 from your phone. The EVDO-enabled PRL will download. Reboot, and you're done!

You can verify you have the correct software by dialing #HELP* from the phone screen, and hitting the send key. the current EVDO PRL for ACII (as of March 20) is 50494.

KonTiki
03-20-2006, 10:46 AM
And if you are not going to be a heavy user of tethering rather than $15 a month you can tether without having the plan but you will be charged on a per kilobyte basis. This can get expensive in a hurry specially with downloads of software and data, but the point is if you dont use it that often only as an emergency basis you can save the $15 per month because once it is activated you can use it. If you are running 4.1 which Veizon has not released for the 7250 yet you will not be able to tether regardless of the $15 per month or not. You can with 4.0.

Naked Wife
03-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Hey braz, have you tried re-sending your service book from your BIS? I also tried several times and got the "activation unsuccessful" message. After I sent my service book, the 1XEV appeared on my very next try. To be honest Im not sure what relevance (if any) the service book has to EVDO, but in my case it seemed to work. Good luck.

justin99
03-20-2006, 11:17 AM
i have resent the service book and updated the phone. all i get is a 1X which is better than the 1x. any ideas why i cant get the EVDO to appear?

bnandreu
03-20-2006, 11:26 AM
braz,

Can you post the Enterprise # for us? Thx.

braz
03-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Hey braz, have you tried re-sending your service book from your BIS? I also tried several times and got the "activation unsuccessful" message. After I sent my service book, the 1XEV appeared on my very next try. To be honest Im not sure what relevance (if any) the service book has to EVDO, but in my case it seemed to work. Good luck.

I'm not sure I know how. I'm not on a BES so how would I go about this?

FYI I went to the Sprint store guy told me that it would be 2hrs and that the latest PRL is 10031. Long story short I took my phone and walked out.

@<hidden> 877-654-9111

tks braz

bnandreu
03-20-2006, 01:00 PM
braz,

For what it's worth, I kept trying to update using *2 probably 10-15 times until all of a sudden it finally took. Keep trying.

I called the number and the tech opened up a ticket for me because he'd never heard of that problem before. Gee thanks. Maybe something will get done now. Every 10 minutes it flashes 1XEV for about 30 seconds.

braz
03-20-2006, 02:01 PM
braz,

For what it's worth, I kept trying to update using *2 probably 10-15 times until all of a sudden it finally took. Keep trying.

I called the number and the tech opened up a ticket for me because he'd never heard of that problem before. Gee thanks. Maybe something will get done now. Every 10 minutes it flashes 1XEV for about 30 seconds.

Update;
After another hour and 22 mins on the phone. I now have a trouoble ticket open oh joy! !

The rep said that he sees where the error happens when trying to get the PRL update and said that the error is on their side.

So nothing to do but wait at this point.

bnandreu
03-20-2006, 02:28 PM
I called Sprint again and this time the tech had me pop out the battery while he refreshed the account. Sheesh! Still no EVDO, I'm about to call it quits.

braz
03-20-2006, 02:37 PM
Same here i'm at the point that I just dont care. Maybe I will try again in a week. Enough time wasted on this project.

braz
03-20-2006, 03:02 PM
@<hidden>

I just wanted to let you know that mine update FINALLY took. I guess maybe there was something to that trouble ticket. But then again who knows :)

braz

bnandreu
03-20-2006, 04:30 PM
braz, so are you at 1XEV? Congrats if so!

braz
03-20-2006, 06:18 PM
Yes correct I "was" @<hidden> 1XEV but after driving around it is now gone ! LOL

I Have no idea on how to get it back........

braz

bnandreu
03-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Ok so braz and I have issues. Oh well, let's just be patient, one day we too will join the elite!

burrholes
03-21-2006, 12:12 AM
just got the update to work..... after 10-15 calls to *2
and
1 visit to a sprint store (they wouldn't/couldn't touch it)
they gave a # 877-255-2377

1XEV wOOt!

nicu2001
03-21-2006, 01:43 AM
Hi all, I have been following all of the directions and advice in this thread, and I seem to have run into a few problems...

I have a Sprint 7250 and upgraded to 4.1 and after calling blackberry support and dialing *2 multiple times have the following status:

H/W Version: 2
PRL Version: 20219
CDMA Channel: 625

When the PRL first updated I was locked in on 1XEV, however that soon disappeared. I am in the middle of NYC so I think there are towers covering me. I called blackberry support and they resent the service book (I got confirmation) but I still only have 1X running. Can I manually resend my service book or do I need to call Sprint to do it again? I use both internet service for gmail forwarding and desktop redirector for work email forwarding... as of now only the gmail works as I have to reconfigure the work setup when I get in tomorrow. Does anyone have any idea as to why I am not seeing EV?

One more concern, when I dial *2 I get the following sequence... "Activation Start", then "Activating..." and then "Activation is Unsuccessfull!" when I end the call. Sprint BB support said it is the phone trying to activate for the first time after a software install and that since I am activated I will always have that message when I call *2... anyone have this happen to them and know how to fix it?

Sorry for the long post, any help or advice is greatly appreciated

braz
03-21-2006, 09:27 AM
Ok so braz and I have issues. Oh well, let's just be patient, one day we too will join the elite!

bnandreu,

I pulled the battery for 5 seconds and im back on EV. Been that way since 7pm lastnight. (I just hope I dont have to do this EVERY time the EV drops)

@<hidden>

I am also in NYC/LI this is what happened to me yesterday. Since you have gotten your phone to the proper PRL version # I would suggest rebooting it. Worked for me.

As far as going into the stores I will never do that again. I had a 10min discussion (putting it nicely) with the so called bb pro :) about what the latest PRL version is and what it will provide me with. Now after having my EV working and the PRL update that I told him about I want to go prove him wrong. He had such an attitude, as if I was there to lie and that there was no way I knew something that he didnt. But im not going to waste my time. I'd rather be a small help here.

Hope this helps, good luck.

braz

bnandreu
03-21-2006, 09:36 AM
I am on the phone with a tech and wiping the device completely and reloading the OS. Let's see if that helps! I'll keep everyone posted.

phantomtech
03-21-2006, 10:38 AM
I have been lurking here for a while and have found a lot of the information useful. So thank you all.

I finally got my 7250 to get up to PRL version 20219 after a week of trying. Just for kicks, I kept track of the number of times that I tried to get the update and finally got it after 17 attempts (I think muting the phone actually helped it come across).

Thanks again for being here!!! (y)

bnandreu
03-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Wipe, reload, reprogram did not work. I don't think this is going to work for me. I'm trying to get my rep to replace my BB.

nicu2001
03-21-2006, 10:51 AM
I don't understand why I can't get and stay on EVDO... today for a brief second it went to EV and then dropped off... I commute from the upper west side to Jersey City every day, and I did not get any EV connection along the way (80th st, Penn station, Jersey City). I have pulled the battery out and restarted about 5 times with no luck. I am definitely on the right PRL etc so I am not sure what else there is to do... should I re-install 4.1? How can I resend the service books for my BIS and my desktop redirector?

Thanks again!

bnandreu
03-21-2006, 12:03 PM
nicu2001,

I feel your pain. Mine flashes EV every 10 minutes or so. I'm pretty flustered because Sprint has no idea what's wrong. I'm sure there is a programming glitch somewhere that they are overlooking. Is there a Sprint Tech in the house?

braz
03-21-2006, 02:48 PM
I don't understand why I can't get and stay on EVDO... today for a brief second it went to EV and then dropped off... I commute from the upper west side to Jersey City every day, and I did not get any EV connection along the way (80th st, Penn station, Jersey City). I have pulled the battery out and restarted about 5 times with no luck. I am definitely on the right PRL etc so I am not sure what else there is to do... should I re-install 4.1? How can I resend the service books for my BIS and my desktop redirector?

Thanks again!

I was able to get my service book resent from a tech at the # I posted on page one.

bnandreu
03-21-2006, 03:51 PM
I'm in!!! It only took 5 days and several hours on the phone with Sprint but it's done! I'm 1XEV for the last 2 hours! 8-)

braz
03-21-2006, 04:29 PM
bnandreu,

NICE ! Congrats !!

What FINALLY did it ?

bnandreu
03-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Well, I broke the first rule of troubleshooting and I made a change while the tech refreshed my services again so I don't know which did it. The change???

I have a coworker whose 7250 worked perfect the first time. I was able to get the tech to give me the MSL password for his device and I got into his configuration and compared it to mine. I noticed that the HA addresses, primary and second were different. I changed mine to match his at the same time the tech was refreshing. Either way, the BB came back 1xev (yes lower case) and after 20 minutes 1XEV. In between I had a couple of Data Connection Refused messages after a couple of reboots.

So I can't say for sure what did it, but based on the fact the prior service refreshes didn't work, I think my hacking may have taken care of it. ;)

sm_
03-22-2006, 01:33 AM
after about 12 calls to *2 with unsuccessful updates, it finally took and I am now 1XEV in San Diego.

mtwilford
03-22-2006, 09:53 AM
Good Morning
I was able to get 1XEV after several tries at *2. I am in Southern Cal east of Los Angeles. I noticed that Sprint has release the 4.1 update. I used the Telstar update. Dare I install the new Sprint update over the telestar

pjdrsd
03-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Good Morning
I was able to get 1XEV after several tries at *2. I am in Southern Cal east of Los Angeles. I noticed that Sprint has release the 4.1 update. I used the Telstar update. Dare I install the new Sprint update over the telestar

I had the Telstra originally and replaced it with the Sprint 4.1. Worked fine for me. Glad to see others are being persistent with the *2 - it can take a while, but it will work!

jwolf7722
03-22-2006, 12:53 PM
So how much faster is this EVDO? I am debating on getting a blackberry but worry about internet speed.

bnandreu
03-22-2006, 05:06 PM
jwolf7722 - EVDO speed, well like the turtle and the hare.

All, I spoke with "Nathan" at Sprint and he confirmed that my changing the HA address on my BB fixed my 1XEV issue. He said that while EVDO on the 7250 isn't officially supported they have theirs working. The guy was cool and basically confirmed what we all know: it's all in how savvy the tech is that we speak to that dictates whether we get our issues resolved or not.

FYI - the 3rd octate in the HA address identifies the region/area.

xx.xx.177.xx = Dallas/Ft. Worth
xx.xx.185.xx = New Orleans/Kenner (interestingly enough this is San Antonio's primary HA address)

bjk.qaz
03-23-2006, 09:59 AM
Just called Sprint. They were zero help. Not officially supported and thus they wouldn't help. Guess officially I'll have to wait. :(

nicu2001
03-23-2006, 10:08 AM
All,

I am now full time 1XEV! What I learned from my situation was that you have to call and hope you get one of the better level 3 Sprint people for Blackberry support. I called a few times and had no help but called today and spoke with Chris who was only 3 weeks in to being a tech for Sprint (came from nextel) but he was more helpful than anyone. After spending about 30 minutes testing everything on both sides, he put me on hold to speak with someone on the server team... he came back to tell me that EVDO should be up and running in a few seconds... he had me pull the battery and when I put it back in, 1XEV!

When I asked him what was wrong and how he set me up, he told me that he "re-provisioned the phone for EVDO services" and that my "configuration was not provisioned to originally accept EVDO." Whatever he did it was on their side so if anyone is running in to similar problems as the ones I posted earlier in this thread, make sure you call the correct number (877-654-9111) and get lucky enough to speak with a helpful support person. You could try asking for Chris or perhaps Nathan whom bnandreu spoke with.

Good luck all!

phantomtech
03-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Does anyone have a link for the map that shows what areas have EVDO already?

Naked Wife
03-23-2006, 05:32 PM
enter your zip code and view the coverage map. The orange areas (if you have any) have EVDO.

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/coverage/CoverageOverview.jsp?ATR_ExtraOne=Personal_Wireless_Plans_Coverage

bjk.qaz
03-24-2006, 08:49 AM
Currently I'm on hold with Sprint Biz Blackberry data people (Crystal)... I asked her to "provision my blackberry for EVDO", she put me on hold for a few minutes and began to process the order. For some reason she needed the account passcode to authorize the change. I gave that to her and now she is changing/updating the account.

I'll post the final result soon.

edit...

Just got off the phone, they had me goto OPTIONS | NETWORK and select START PROVISIONING. They told me that it can take up to 4 hours to complete. It actually took about 5. I pulled the battery and nothing, still just 1X. Dang it. Guess I'll have to call back. BTW, I'm in Minneapolis.

nicu2001
03-29-2006, 11:10 AM
bjk.qaz -

They had me to that at first as well.. didn't do anything multiple times.. they said they have to "provision" something on their end, network side. Maybe that helps? Try asking for the guys that have been successful and maybe they will be more helpful. Good luck!

mike01svt
04-02-2006, 03:20 PM
another happy evdo customer...

first time was a charm!! BUT i forgot to do my os upgrade before, so no dice..

upgraded os and called back, they didnt want to send me the PRL cuz "it doesnt have anything to do with evdo" so i called back and got the same girl, she then said fine, I will send it.. and now i am surfin the net at blazing speeds!!!

mike01svt
04-02-2006, 03:20 PM
oh something else very strange.. i have full bars of service ALL the time now LOL

Naked Wife
04-02-2006, 03:40 PM

Congrats mike. Welcome to the club.

bjk.qaz
04-05-2006, 03:25 PM
My 7250 has been on 1XEV for the last 4 hours... it just changed and never went back to 1X. My last contact with Sprint asking for the service was two weeks ago. I'm in MN. yeah.

ToY9CiTO
04-09-2006, 05:15 AM
My 7250 has been on 1XEV for the last 4 hours... it just changed and never went back to 1X. My last contact with Sprint asking for the service was two weeks ago. I'm in MN. yeah.

So now that you have EVDO on your BB 7250 can you watch SPRINT TV on it.... like CNN Fox Sports and Weather Channels etc?

braz
04-13-2006, 08:33 AM
Ok, sorry to bring this old thread back to life but I didnt want to create another since its sort of the same topic.

As you may or may not know a few of us had a hell of a time getting EVDO and the PRL update to take.

I had my 7250 running great when all of a sudden I went to the gym with my bb and the screen was smashed :(

Sprint replaced the 7250 under warrenty but that was the least of my worries. Ever since I recieved my new bb I have had a few odd problems.

Example missing browser icon out of the box. Even after installing 4.1 on the device still nothing. I resolved this problem after 2 hrs on the phone and no thanks to the bb support team at sprint.

Now for the ass kicker, I cant for the life of me get the PRL update to work again. I have opened a trouble ticket because last time once I did that it seemed to work shortly there after.

Further more I have another user in my company on the same phone and he can't get the PRL update either. I wonder if its something in our area??

Any ideas or thoughts let me know.

Tks braz

robber
04-13-2006, 09:22 AM
I am having the same issue. I have spent close to 10 hours trying to get this to work. Sprint store, 100 calls to *2 etc.

I just cant get it to work.

KMK
04-18-2006, 10:51 PM
Has anyone else had any success? I'm in the midst of my own personal upgrade horror movie, trickling in at 1X speed from my good buddies at Sprint.

Like others, my hang-up seems to be in getting the PRL update to take. I've *2'ed about 50 times. I have talked to level I and level II service who were of no help whatsoever. The level II rep basically just blew me off, saying she had "fixed it" on her end and asking if there was anything else she could help with. Of course, when I checked the PRL it was the same 10030 I had started with 2 days ago.

The direct blackberry support (877-654-9111) has been a little more knowledgable but no more helpful. I've called at least half-a-dozen times in hopes of getting somebody good, but no luck so far. (I got Brian twice. Avoid Brian.) The consensus seems to be that I need to get the update manually at a store, which I will dutifully attempt tomorrow. Other posters on this board haven't had much luck at the stores. Has anyone gotten this to work at a store? I'll let you know if I'm able to get this fixed somehow, but right now I'm frustrated. I've been out of contract for a month and if I can't get this to work within a week or so I may well switch to Verizon.

Congrats to those who have cracked the EVDO code. I hope I will join you someday.

southwestcomm
04-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Sprint will release the 7130 in a couple weeks and officially support EVDO at that time.

Naked Wife
04-18-2006, 11:04 PM

I wonder if provisioning the phone would help. Through options, network, trackwheel, start provisioning. I think that along with sending the service books from BIS worked. Honestly, however, I'm not sure if either of those two procedures helped me get the heavily sought 1XEV. Good luck.

KMK
04-18-2006, 11:31 PM

I wonder if provisioning the phone would help. Through options, network, trackwheel, start provisioning. I think that along with sending the service books from BIS worked. Honestly, however, I'm not sure if either of those two procedures helped me get the heavily sought 1XEV. Good luck.

I've re-provisioned several times, taken the battery out a bunch (I'm really good at it now), all the usual stuff that sometimes causes a miracle to occur. I called Sprint BB support again (I'm now on a first-name basis with John) and he told me to go to Options, Advanced, Host Routing, then click and select Register Now. According to John, this would resend the service books. I'm a bit skeptical since the arrows only flashed for 10 or 15 seconds and I was hoping for something more dramatic, like a holographic "CONGRATULATIONS YOU BROKE THE CODE" followed by a shiny new 1XEV. But alas, only a "Registration" message in my Inbox, identical to the one you get after re-provisioning.

Oh, well, I'll just have to be patient until I can get to the store tomorrow. I'll amuse myself looking for themes to go with my new 4.1 OS. Thanks for your help.

hcheun
04-19-2006, 05:29 AM
So now that you have EVDO on your BB 7250 can you watch SPRINT TV on it.... like CNN Fox Sports and Weather Channels etc?

ToY, the answer that is "no". Unfortunately, the 7250 won't support video playback et. al. I tried the other day with my friend sending me video's and going to the tv site, and it just won't happen. My rep said that I would have to get a Pocket PC multimedia capable phone (like th ppc6700) to do that, and he said to not hold my breath because he hasn't heard anything yet from RIM about releasing a multimedia capable phone. (he said since they follow "only business" moniker)

The only benefit from evdo is just the browsing speed. You will notice a significant difference.

braz
04-19-2006, 10:03 AM
KMK,

I am 1 for 3 with getting EVDO to work. My new replacement 7250 still wont take the PRL update. I have tried everything also pulling battries service books etc.

My partner here at work his 7250 wont take the update either same problems.

sorry i wasnt anymore helpful if you trigger something that works let me know.

braz

robber
04-19-2006, 02:29 PM
I've re-provisioned several times, taken the battery out a bunch (I'm really good at it now), all the usual stuff that sometimes causes a miracle to occur. I called Sprint BB support again (I'm now on a first-name basis with John) and he told me to go to Options, Advanced, Host Routing, then click and select Register Now. According to John, this would resend the service books. I'm a bit skeptical since the arrows only flashed for 10 or 15 seconds and I was hoping for something more dramatic, like a holographic "CONGRATULATIONS YOU BROKE THE CODE" followed by a shiny new 1XEV. But alas, only a "Registration" message in my Inbox, identical to the one you get after re-provisioning.

Oh, well, I'll just have to be patient until I can get to the store tomorrow. I'll amuse myself looking for themes to go with my new 4.1 OS. Thanks for your help.

I am sorry to hear you are having issues but at the same time glad I am not alone.

Here is the problem witht he sprint store. Hard coding a PRL requires 3 different elements that not many sprint stores have. (In my experience)

1. The "blackberry cable" (not sure if this is a simple as the mini usb/usb)
2. The actual software on their machine
3. A tech that knows how to do it

Finding 2 out of 3 is easy but batting .1000 is very difficult. Adding to the frustration is the problem of calling the sprint store. I called 6 stores in a 50 mile radius from me yielded 6 trips to the general voicemail box. No messages returned (4 days now)

So now I am forced to drive all around New England with my fingers crossed or just live with it.

Hopefully when the new BB device is officially supported our luck will change.

robber
04-19-2006, 02:31 PM
The only benefit from evdo is just the browsing speed. You will notice a significant difference.

The other benefit that is almost as important is the fact that all incoming calls will pause an active data connection and the calls will go through.

As we know current 1xrtt active data connections put the call straight to VM.

mike01svt
05-07-2006, 02:10 PM
just an fyi for those that didnt get it to work...
1) make sure you're on 4.1 OS
2) call the blackberry business support... not regular tech
3) ask for the PRL update by name 20xxx or whatever it was
4)after they say the provision the phone for it, dial the *2 and wait

you know it is ready when clair comes on and says there is an update for your phone... i didnt need to send a service book or any other strange thing like that.. took on the first try...

hope this helps

robber
05-08-2006, 02:24 PM
just an fyi for those that didnt get it to work...
1) make sure you're on 4.1 OS
2) call the blackberry business support... not regular tech
3) ask for the PRL update by name 20xxx or whatever it was
4)after they say the provision the phone for it, dial the *2 and wait

you know it is ready when clair comes on and says there is an update for your phone... i didnt need to send a service book or any other strange thing like that.. took on the first try...

hope this helps

Your extradorinary lucky!

BBLuvr
05-14-2006, 09:50 AM
I just called blackberry support and he won't give me the PRL update 20219, he said it's not working as of yet! ARGG!

mike01svt
05-14-2006, 11:56 AM
I just called blackberry support and he won't give me the PRL update 20219, he said it's not working as of yet! ARGG!

yeah sometimes they are like that..

btw they read this forum.. a lot of them do.. so you might want to have them take a look at this thread..

the guy i spoke with was reading a post from here word for word..

xrussx
05-17-2006, 02:07 PM
how do you know what PRL you have???? I have the 1xEV logo but I don't think the speed is evdo speed.

hcheun
05-18-2006, 09:16 AM
how do you know what PRL you have???? I have the 1xEV logo but I don't think the speed is evdo speed.

xrussx,

fyi , you might want to search this thread first, since alot of people were stating how to check your prl , also use the search function, as the blackberry forums churn out great results, + google is your friend ;-)

In any case, just to help you out it's #help* to get the info

Also have you tried a speed test? go to broadbandreports.com , one site where they have the ability to test your speed. I've also stated in a previous post in this same thread, that Sprint (assuming you have sprint, since this is a "sprint" post) is still upgrading their eqiupment for 3G equipment/power vision for EVDO so it'll be a while. If you're getting sluggish speeds, it could be they might need to upgrade or fix whichever tower you are at.

I'm at 1xEV and im getting far better results than previous 1x. Also, make sure you have the latest software update to 4.1.

robber
05-18-2006, 09:52 AM
xrussx,

fyi , you might want to search this thread first, since alot of people were stating how to check your prl , also use the search function, as the blackberry forums churn out great results, + google is your friend ;-)

In any case, just to help you out it's #help* to get the info

Also have you tried a speed test? go to broadbandreports.com , one site where they have the ability to test your speed. I've also stated in a previous post in this same thread, that Sprint (assuming you have sprint, since this is a "sprint" post) is still upgrading their eqiupment for 3G equipment/power vision for EVDO so it'll be a while. If you're getting sluggish speeds, it could be they might need to upgrade or fix whichever tower you are at.

I'm at 1xEV and im getting far better results than previous 1x. Also, make sure you have the latest software update to 4.1.

Another idea is that a lot of people on evdo forums are editing their home and secondary HA addresses. It is easy to do if you have your devices MSL code.

That latest word from Sprint engineering is that changing these should no longer make a difference but last time I checked some HAs were performing better than others.

robber
05-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Oh, and if you have a 1XEV icon on your device rest assured you are on the powervision network.

maskedviperus
05-18-2006, 10:15 AM
With the sprint blackberry unlimited plan, that includes internet usage correct? Because every time i call in for something i get the "i see you do not have vision service on your phone, would you be interested in adding it?"

robber
05-18-2006, 10:22 AM
With the sprint blackberry unlimited plan, that includes internet usage correct? Because every time i call in for something i get the "i see you do not have vision service on your phone, would you be interested in adding it?"

Correct.

You may consider responding with a yes and then tell them that you dont need the blackberry plan any more.

Not much will change!!!

maskedviperus
05-18-2006, 10:24 AM
So your saying a regular vision plan will work the same as the unlimited bb plan?

robber
05-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Yes. But only with Sprint -because 99% of their employees simply do not understand the difference and there is nothing on the network side that automatically disables the bb feautres. (ie. sprint.blackberry.net email address.)

You may get reverted back to the blackberry plan eventually- but like I said it has been close to 4 months for me.

maskedviperus
05-18-2006, 12:07 PM
cool, i will have to do this! Thanks!

strobate
05-18-2006, 12:32 PM
Uh, will email still work if you drop the BB plan and get the regular Vision?

robber
05-18-2006, 12:36 PM
No it wont. Worst case is that Sprint does an account sweep at some point in the future and adds the unlimited plan back on.

xrussx
05-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Has anyone tethered with the power vision plan?

cctraderx
05-18-2006, 05:23 PM
So if you place a BB on with vision without the BB plan, what do you get? No email? If so, what can you do with the BB? Trying to learn.

robber
05-18-2006, 10:20 PM
So if you place a BB on with vision without the BB plan, what do you get? No email? If so, what can you do with the BB? Trying to learn.

If you are on a BB plan and SWITCH to a powervision plan than you retain full email/ pin capabilities. (who knows for how long- going on 4 months for me)

The general rule is that in order to get email the traditional way on a BB you need a BB plan. That holds true accross all carriers with the exception of Sprint. Sprint does have a BB plan- but try to find it on the website. You can't. Ask a rep if it is neccessary for email- they will tell you no. There simply is no-one in the know- from the people selling it to CS. It takes getting all the way up to tier 2 before you can talk to someone who understands how these things work and what plan you should have.

Sprint could do an account sweep any day and add the bb plan back onto my account- but like I said plenty of people have used the $15 vision/ powervision plan for months with no issues.

BBLuvr
05-20-2006, 01:58 PM
REJOICE!!! I finally have EDVO baby!! After trying a hundred billion times I finally got the PRL to take!!

KMK
05-21-2006, 11:35 AM
REJOICE!!! I finally have EDVO baby!! After trying a hundred billion times I finally got the PRL to take!!

Did you do anything different? Or just keep *2-ing?

BBLuvr
05-21-2006, 12:21 PM
All I did was install OS 4.1 and have the rep flag my account for a PRL update then I dialed *2 many, many times. One tip, when your phone is finally taking the download, it sounds different than all the other times you call. It will say it's downloading but it will still ask you "what would you like to do?" Your screen will also say something to the effect "PRL downloading Success..." or something like that. Just stay on the line even if the automated voice is asking you questions, don't say anything. Then it will tell you when the download is complete. After that, do a hard reset and BAM! You've got EDVO baby!

robber
05-22-2006, 12:47 PM
All I did was install OS 4.1 and have the rep flag my account for a PRL update then I dialed *2 many, many times. One tip, when your phone is finally taking the download, it sounds different than all the other times you call. It will say it's downloading but it will still ask you "what would you like to do?" Your screen will also say something to the effect "PRL downloading Success..." or something like that. Just stay on the line even if the automated voice is asking you questions, don't say anything. Then it will tell you when the download is complete. After that, do a hard reset and BAM! You've got EDVO baby!

Amazing. Keeping my fingers crossed.

KMK
06-05-2006, 11:33 AM
In case anyone missed it, Sprint sent out a press release last week announcing their version of the 7100. It also confirmed the previously-posted rumor that new 7250s will support EVDO immediately. The troubling part is that existing 7250s will apparently be supported "later this year" which in Sprint-speak sounds like about 2011. Honestly, I'm so close to being out of here. At this point it is a race between how fast my company can finalize its Verizon contract and how soon Sprint can pull its head out of its a**.

http://www2.sprint.com/mr/news_dtl.do?page=show&id=12220

indigent
06-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Ok, someone tell me if my mode of thinking is correct. I got my BB last week, a new 7250, I get EVDO off and on as I move around town. Do I need to get the PRL update or should my unit have it already?

Thanks, this is my first BB and I am hooked.

hcheun
06-06-2006, 12:27 AM
Ok, someone tell me if my mode of thinking is correct. I got my BB last week, a new 7250, I get EVDO off and on as I move around town. Do I need to get the PRL update or should my unit have it already?

Thanks, this is my first BB and I am hooked.

Indigent

I think i wrote a comment regarding about your question in this thread.

In any case, Sprint and Verizon have been working to upgrade area's to EVDO capable towers, so it's only a matter of time, that most of their network and coverage should support it.

Regardless, If your system does say 1xEV on it, you are getting EVDO and it is capable of it. You just need to be in a coverage area that is supporting evdo , and you will notice it by the "1XEV", otherwise, you'll notice you won't be in it when youre in "1X"

By the looks of it, you said you were getting the 1XEV, so you should be fine.

KMK
06-19-2006, 12:11 PM
After months of screwing around with this, I've closed my Sprint account and signed up with Verizon, and I now have a 7250 that supports EVDO, complete with tethering.

Thanks to the many on this forum who helped with troubleshooting, and also to Justin in KC, the Sprint tech who figured out how to fix it. Jeers to the Sprint tech support system which wasted hours of my time, and especially the branch manger of the Sprint store in downtown Seattle, who said he would follow up with Justin but never did.

I have been a Sprint customer for 8 years, spending approx $150 a month. I have also advised our CIO that we should standardize on verizon, and he has accepted that recommendation. Our 60 consultants will be migrating to VZX over the next few months as our Sprint accounts expire. Good luck to all users!