PDA

View Full Version : 7130e & Google Talk

tracash
03-08-2006, 08:28 AM
Last January RIM (Waterloo Ontario) annouced a deal with Google. Deal was to offer both Google Talk and Google Local.

(Taken from the RIM WebSite: www.rim.com):
Quote 1> "New Mobile Services Will Enable BlackBerry users to Stay Connected with Google Talk instant messaging and Google Local information and maps";
Quote 2> "Use of Google Talk requires a Gmail account which can be obtained when invited by another Gmail user or by visiting https://www.google.com/accounts/SmsMailSignup1. Google Talk users may invite other Gmail users to their contact lists directly from their BlackBerry handset, just as they would from a PC.";
Quote 3> "Google Talk for BlackBerry is expected to be available in the Spring timeframe. Google Local for mobile is available today at www.google.com/glm. Both applications will be free, subject to any data service rates applicable for downloading and using the applications with a limited data plan."

I have 3 - 7130e's and as of yesterday Google Talk has appeared in all service books, yet no ICON and currently no way to make it work. Any ideas?

I have all kinds of invitiations available and have a few accounts also set up so a GMail account is not the issue. I can't get the SMS to get through to my number even though my account ("myname"@<hidden>"My carrier".blackberry.net) has sent my BlackBerrys the initial "service book".

tracash
03-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Found my answers, even here in the great white north. so y'all can ignore the post.

trifster
03-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Tracash, I'd like to get google talk working on my 7130? What info can you share to get that working?
Thx

overmycrossbody
03-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Tracash, I'd like to get google talk working on my 7130? What info can you share to get that working?
Thx

Not sure, but I think GoogleTalk isn't yet released, it will be in the next few months. Google Local is available though, and it's freakin awesome.

trifster
03-09-2006, 03:30 PM
It is released. DL via computer or OTA at http://www.blackberry.com/googletalk/

trif

overmycrossbody
03-09-2006, 03:45 PM
It is released. DL via computer or OTA at http://www.blackberry.com/googletalk/

trif

Oh ok. Just installed it, it seems to be working fine. What is the problem?

trifster
03-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Oh ok. Just installed it, it seems to be working fine. What is the problem?

Works good here...I had trouble at first finding the install link but since then did search and find it.

I do notice that Google Talk on the blackberry takes a little time for the contacts to appear despite full 1XEV signal.

I like that you can esc back to home screen and stay connected.

Trif

whsbuss
03-09-2006, 09:17 PM

Trif

Similar to BB Messenger.

overmycrossbody
03-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Works good here...I had trouble at first finding the install link but since then did search and find it.

I do notice that Google Talk on the blackberry takes a little time for the contacts to appear despite full 1XEV signal.

Trif

So far it's impressed me ... what I really love is how the LED blinks red when someone sends a msg, just like if you receive an email/sms. So for those convos where one person is on and off busy, you don't have to keep looking at the screen, just see if the LED is red or green. Very neat.

srl7741
03-10-2006, 11:29 AM
I like the alert me feature. That works well and i don't have to check to see when the person i need to contact becomes available