PDA

View Full Version : 8700 on Cingular w/o phone plan

Stelvio
03-08-2006, 09:08 AM
I believe I read about someone on this forum using only the BB data plan on a Cingular 8700 (no phone plan). Now I can't find the thread. 125 threads in search results.

First can someone confirm this, the Cingular website seems to let you add to cart configured this way.

Would I be able to add temporary phone capabilities when traveling internationally, it would only be infrequently (no more than once a year)? Would there be a commitment to do so.

Thanks for the help.

Shelveen
03-08-2006, 12:21 PM
you are able to just purchase the cingular blackberry data plan only if you dont any voice talk...just call cingular and activate or visit a local cingular store...hope this helps

freakyshiat
03-08-2006, 01:09 PM
I have the same thing with T-Mo. I pay 29.99 per month for data, there is a voice number attached to it but I dont use it for voice. I used to have a cingular BB with exact same setup but it was 44.99 per month I think. So yes, you will be able to do it by calling customer service or visiting a local store.

hnsimpson
03-08-2006, 01:11 PM
if you are using the device solely for data you can shop for the least expensive plan, providing you have an unlocked device.

just my $0.02

NS

Stelvio
03-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Thanks for confirming that you can get a data only plan from Cingular.

Does anyone know if I would be able to add temporary phone capabilities when traveling internationally, it would only be infrequently (no more than once a year)? Would there be a commitment to do so.

phonemonkey
03-12-2006, 08:30 PM
You -may- be able to one-time do a plan change to add voice and then remove it during the same billing cycle, but the chances are they wouldn't let this go through a second time, even a year later.

Just wondering -- why wouldn't you have voice on the device? Just being able to dial from the phonebook or an email totally makes it worth having one single device. Unless you get poor coverage and need another device from another carrier.

Stelvio
03-12-2006, 08:49 PM
I am a long time Verizon user (with a very recent 2 year agreement), I find that Verizon has the best coverage in my area, Boston, and I don't like the Sure type keyboard of the 7130e.

Additionally, my whole family has Verizon and we make use of unlimited mobile to mobile.

The third reason, and I know I could just get a second Cingular phone and swap sim cards, is that when I don't want my Blackberry I would rather carry a much smaller device. Back to reason 1.

DuckWingDuck
03-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Seems like a whole lot of trouble to go through but everybody's circumstances are different.