PDA

View Full Version : When are we geting an update?

VidGameKing
03-08-2006, 11:28 AM
How much longer till we cingular users get an update? I would be very happy if they added some of the features this phone is "supposedly" capable of...

d_fisher
03-08-2006, 11:51 AM
What update/features are you expecting? What model BlackBerry?

Stinsonddog
03-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Other than MMS what are you expecting? The .284 OS makes the phone much better.

billclark
03-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Other than MMS what are you expecting? The .284 OS makes the phone much better.

Is the .284 update the Bharti OS that I've seen a lot about on the forums? I just upgraded to the 8700c yesterday, so I'm still a little hesitant to load a non-Cingular OS on it just yet.

-B

luckiweeman
03-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Just follow these steps provided by Seattle18 and others in this link below:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=26764

I tried the upgrade and ran into no problems at all. In fact, I like this upgrade so much I may not bother using any new Cingular updates when they come out.

billclark
03-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Just follow these steps provided by Seattle18 and others in this link below:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=26764

I tried the upgrade and ran into no problems at all. In fact, I like this upgrade so much I may not bother using any new Cingular updates when they come out.

Yeah, I'm actually in the process of taking the plunge now. I'm about halfway through loading the new OS now. I figure if I hose it up bad enough, it can always be recovered with Cingular's software. It can't be as bad as when I bricked my V3 RAZR after reloading the firmware a dozen times.

spia
03-08-2006, 01:37 PM
I'm interested in the Cingular counterpart to the .284 upgrade. I'm not thrilled about giving RIM all of my contact information and then making what would be written fraudulent misrepresentations with respect to the Bharti carrier and service (anyone who downloads the Bharti upgrade must make certain representations that would not be true for Cingular customers). I'm sure that nothing would come of it, but I don't like to say something that's not true.

billclark
03-08-2006, 01:46 PM
I'm interested in the Cingular counterpart to the .284 upgrade. I'm not thrilled about giving RIM all of my contact information and then making what would be written fraudulent misrepresentations with respect to the Bharti carrier and service (anyone who downloads the Bharti upgrade must make certain representations that would not be true for Cingular customers). I'm sure that nothing would come of it, but I don't like to say something that's not true.

Oh, you don't actually have to give them your REAL info... heck, I filled every field out with "b", and it still let me download. They're not going to send Jack Bauer after you with a CTU Ringtone to arrest you for Blackberry Terrorism ;)

luckiweeman
03-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Yeah, I'm actually in the process of taking the plunge now. I'm about halfway through loading the new OS now. I figure if I hose it up bad enough, it can always be recovered with Cingular's software. It can't be as bad as when I bricked my V3 RAZR after reloading the firmware a dozen times.

Let us know how it went. Pay special attention to the very last set of instructions which state that you should do a reboot if you lose any of your browsers. Other than that, enjoy the upgrade and the new Themes that come with it. The Zen theme is especially nice.

AlbertoM
03-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Agreed. Cing would have to offer a bunch more features for me to switch from Bharti.....

hf1khal
03-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Same here

billclark
03-08-2006, 02:47 PM
luckiweeman,

The upgrade went smoothly. I lost the Cingular Browser and the Internet Browser, but the Blackberry Browser is there. I rebooted after having to modify the blackberry.alx file and updating core components to make the Zen theme accessible. I haven't tried a regular reboot yet because I'm at work and had a meeting to deal with first.

Now I just need to find a better background for the Zen theme (which I have to say is the best thing to hit blackberries since...oh...the 8700).

-B

johnfromphilly
03-08-2006, 02:51 PM
luckiweeman,
Now I just need to find a better background for the Zen theme (which I have to say is the best thing to hit blackberries since...oh...the 8700).

-B

I imagine you know about this but just in case:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=27410

luckiweeman
03-08-2006, 02:57 PM
luckiweeman,

The upgrade went smoothly. I lost the Cingular Browser and the Internet Browser, but the Blackberry Browser is there. I rebooted after having to modify the blackberry.alx file and updating core components to make the Zen theme accessible. I haven't tried a regular reboot yet because I'm at work and had a meeting to deal with first.

-B

Glad it went smooth Bill. The ctrl alt del should bring the browsers back. Enjoy..

leakylegsrider
03-08-2006, 08:30 PM
luckiweeman,

-B

Doesn't it suck when work gets in the way!

I agree with the masses. Cingular has a long way to go to get me to change back to their weaka** firmware.

billclark
03-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Cingular has a long way to go to impress me as a wireless company. I'm a former "blue" customer. I manage the wireless accounts for the North Atlantic region of my company, and I went to AT&T because they were GSM and they weren't Cingular. Lo and behold, they go and sell out 5 weeks later. Go figure.

They seem to be screwing former AT&T customers at every chance they get, as if to say, "this is what you get for not being a cingular customer in the first place". ;)

-B

whsbuss
03-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Cingular has a long way to go to impress me as a wireless company. I'm a former "blue" customer. I manage the wireless accounts for the North Atlantic region of my company, and I went to AT&T because they were GSM and they weren't Cingular. Lo and behold, they go and sell out 5 weeks later. Go figure.

They seem to be screwing former AT&T customers at every chance they get, as if to say, "this is what you get for not being a cingular customer in the first place". ;)

-B

Well with the Bell South takeover, and Cingular fading in the sunset, maybe things will change for the better.

billclark
03-09-2006, 06:48 PM
The BellSouth takeover makes me laugh. Kind of makes me wonder if anyone recalls why Ma Bell was broken up by court order in the 80's... :)

dc/dc
03-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Why not download firmware from other carriers? They are usually better.

I am running Bharti's OS onmy 8700...

DuckWingDuck
03-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Why not download firmware from other carriers? They are usually better.

I am running Bharti's OS onmy 8700...

Agreed. I'm running CSL for the Chinese support.

blackberry67
03-09-2006, 07:23 PM
Greets all has anyone had any luck getting the 8700 to run wav files, our phone system sends us the voicemail as a wav attachment and I would love to be able to play it on my crackberry...

Best Wishes

;)

thestoogeo
03-10-2006, 12:33 AM
I would also like to see better wav support. Imagine V-Mail on demand.

Jon