PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded 7130e to 4.1.0.268 - No problems

gresch
03-08-2006, 07:50 PM
I just upgraded my 7130e to 4.1.0.268 without a problem. I guess over the course of the next few days i'll find out how stable it is. I also swapped out my phone today at a Verizon store because it started spontaneously and randomly rebooting.

animlmed
03-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Mine seems to be working well. Googlt talk is great. The aplications seem to go/move faster. Browser seems to move a lot faster than before.

GeekNJ
03-08-2006, 09:53 PM
I can't upgrade until I get to work tomorrow but was wondering if there were release notes that documented any fixes/enhancements?

Dewars
03-08-2006, 11:01 PM
Mine seems to be working well. Googlt talk is great. The aplications seem to go/move faster. Browser seems to move a lot faster than before.

Where did you get Google Talk? I installed the new OS and did not see an option in the install for Google Talk.

EDIT: I found it at http://talk.google.com

apple85
03-08-2006, 11:22 PM
So noob quesiton... I just upgraded to the bell software should I go back to verizon?

gresch
03-08-2006, 11:38 PM
So noob quesiton... I just upgraded to the bell software should I go back to verizon?

I would. If something goes wrong with your phone, it's probably best to be on the firmware provided by your carrier. I upgraded to the bell sw this morning and upgraded to the vzw update tonight ;)..

apple85
03-08-2006, 11:57 PM
I guess i'll wait a day or two and see what the general consensus is because bell is working like a charm for me.

animlmed
03-09-2006, 08:15 AM
Got up this morning and, after the upgrade, I'm back to 1X again. I had a strong signal on EV all last night, then this. Who knows....

Dewars
03-09-2006, 08:40 AM
Got up this morning and, after the upgrade, I'm back to 1X again. I had a strong signal on EV all last night, then this. Who knows....

After I upgraded from Bell's to Verizon's I also was camped out on 1X. This morning I am back on 1XEV. I wait a few days. If 1X keeps appearing I will reinstall Bell's version.

GeekNJ
03-09-2006, 10:40 AM
I upgraded this morning when I came into the office. It took about 40 mins to backup, apply the update, etc.

I got stuck at the end with "Connecting to desktop.." on the 7130e. I left it for about 40 mins while I was in a meeting. It still showed it when I came back. Tried connecting/disconnecting the unit, starting/stopping Desktop Manager, powering the unit off/on, etc none of which fixed it. I pulled the battery for 20 secs and that reset things.

Seems fine now.

whsbuss
03-09-2006, 10:43 AM
I upgraded this morning when I came into the office. It took about 40 mins to backup, apply the update, etc.

I got stuck at the end with "Connecting to desktop.." on the 7130e. I left it for about 40 mins while I was in a meeting. It still showed it when I came back. Tried connecting/disconnecting the unit, starting/stopping Desktop Manager, powering the unit off/on, etc none of which fixed it. I pulled the battery for 20 secs and that reset things.

Seems fine now.

I had a similar issue. Seems the 7130 powered off during the reload and the USB driver could not find it. Had to reboot the PC and then restore the backed up data. All is well.

GeekNJ
03-09-2006, 10:46 AM
And a funny note was early yesterday or the night before, I sent Verizon a support request via email on when they were releasing their firmware update.

Just this morning I got an answer:
Currently, there is not a software upgrade available for the 7130E. At this time, there is not a release date for the software. We apologize for any inconvenience.

I guess someone should tell tech support they released the update!!

katin2
03-09-2006, 12:30 PM
i upgraded my software using bell or telus one of the two and my EVDO is accessible everywhere. Before it would hop in an out but seems much more stable now I cant complain.. I saw the new update from verizon but I am having no problems.

KonTiki
03-09-2006, 12:41 PM
And a funny note was early yesterday or the night before, I sent Verizon a support request via email on when they were releasing their firmware update.

Just this morning I got an answer:
Currently, there is not a software upgrade available for the 7130E. At this time, there is not a release date for the software. We apologize for any inconvenience.

I guess someone should tell tech support they released the update!!

I believe thats because it was released at their Business site, and not for the general public, however thanks to our lucky forum here even when they do that we get wind of it and we take off with it.

jhferry
03-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Ok I give up, exactly where can I find this update?

whsbuss
03-09-2006, 12:56 PM
Ok I give up, exactly where can I find this update?

Here http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/

Also, so far my mp3 tones are working fine. Had problems before where the mp3 would only play a few times before dying. We'll keep the fingers crossed...

ScottPV
03-09-2006, 01:31 PM
After my update, I had to reinstall Pocket Day, Minisafe and Message Alerts.

Now I need to set these apps up again. But if I restore can I avoid this but still keep the update?

Scott

aristobrat
03-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Same experience here. Everything seems snappier.

jhferry
03-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Here http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/

Also, so far my mp3 tones are working fine. Had problems before where the mp3 would only play a few times before dying. We'll keep the fingers crossed...

Thanks!

overmycrossbody
03-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Upgraded from original VZW software to BellM to .268 and no glitches whatsoever... hopefully none coming either. And I concur that the main menu scrolls a lot smoother than before. Didn't have EV problems to begin with so I can't comment on that, ditto for BT.

shawn1899
03-09-2006, 03:25 PM
hello,

question; I want to install the new software version on my 7130e, and I am using BES. How do I install it via the desktop manager without it screwing up the settings on the blackberry?

I have tried to do it in the past, install software, and my BES settings get messed up. I had to re-activate the BES which was a hassle...

So can anyone help?

Shawn

whsbuss
03-09-2006, 04:17 PM
Has anyone who was having Bluetooth problems (reboting) confirm the new 4.1.0.286 from Verizon fixed the problem?

GeekNJ
03-09-2006, 04:22 PM
question; I want to install the new software version on my 7130e, and I am using BES. How do I install it via the desktop manager without it screwing up the settings on the blackberry?I'm on a BES server and did the update this morning and not of my BES settings were effected. Give it a shot. Allocate about 60 mins for the process (data backup, flash, data restore) to run. Those steps are handled by the install.

GeekNJ
03-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Has anyone who was having Bluetooth problems (reboting) confirm the new 4.1.0.286 from Verizon fixed the problem?From the other thread on the 7130e firmware...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=24788&page=2

which states:
I installed the update today. The install went smoothly and my device appears to be working fine. The navigation speed thru menus seems improved and I've been trying to test the BT rebooting error and have not seen my VZW 7130e reboot once. (FWIW I use a MOT HS850)

whsbuss
03-09-2006, 04:27 PM
From the other thread on the 7130e firmware...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=24788&page=2

which states:
I installed the update today. The install went smoothly and my device appears to be working fine. The navigation speed thru menus seems improved and I've been trying to test the BT rebooting error and have not seen my VZW 7130e reboot once. (FWIW I use a MOT HS850)

Well that's great news. Looks like they finally got the fix.

ThumbsOfSteel
03-09-2006, 05:48 PM
So Far, so good.
Upgraded from the Bell version to the latest Verizon.

BT looks good, and EVDO seems as stable as it was with the Bell Version.

This upgrade seemed faster than the Bell upgrade.

bltvbltv
03-09-2006, 06:12 PM
I have the Bell upgrade but want to upgrade to verizon's new firmware. Do I have to rename vendor.xml to vendor.old or anything tricky like that or is it a straight install?

ThumbsOfSteel
03-09-2006, 06:33 PM
I just did the straight install.

hurl03
03-09-2006, 06:35 PM
anyone else notice that turn bluetooth on and off is no longer on the home screen after the upgrade? I can only seem to access it through the settings menu... any advice?

pnd4pnd
03-09-2006, 07:51 PM
after the install where my battery meter in pocketday never got about 96% its now reading 100% charge.

eric

kb9liq
03-09-2006, 08:53 PM
My bluetooth on and off is still there. Also my battery meter does seem to work better. Mine would go to 100% but only when plugged in, right after you would unplug it would go down to 95%. Now it stayed at 100% for a longer time. I'm not in an EVDO area to test that part and will have to play with it and see about the bluetooth.

overmycrossbody
03-09-2006, 10:57 PM
anyone else notice that turn bluetooth on and off is no longer on the home screen after the upgrade? I can only seem to access it through the settings menu... any advice?

I'm not using the verizon theme but mine is still there. Maybe it's hidden? Do a Shift + Wheel click on any home screen icon and see if there are any hidden icons.

kimojoe
03-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Has anyone who was having Bluetooth problems (reboting) confirm the new 4.1.0.286 from Verizon fixed the problem?

Just installed the update. Several bluetooth connect/disconnect cycles with no reboot. I couldn't be happier. Haven't tried tethering yet, but expect similar stability. Didn't really notice any other enhancements jump out at me. The EVDO/DCR thing is somehow different for me. It still behaves as before. In the basement... roaming (triangle), DCR, but can still get phone calls. Upstairs, EVDO/1X/1x, you never know. Must be location.

ThumbsOfSteel
03-09-2006, 11:13 PM

I noticed it was missing until I activated it for the first time, then it re-appeared.

gadgtman
03-10-2006, 09:05 AM
I upgraded my Verizon 7130e to 4.1.0.268 without any problems - extremely easy. The bluetooth reboot problem is completely gone!! I've tested it many times over the past hour, and not one reboot.

I also like the bigger bluetooth and speakerphone icons (top left when making a call). And the way the speakerphone icon goes white when you mute the phone. It's much easier to see what's going on.

Very, very satisfied so far, I highly recommend the upgrade.

unboringuy
03-10-2006, 08:37 PM
If I recall correctly, it took a couple of days for the BT reboot problem to surface on the old release, so I'm not going to jump to any conclusions. So far, so good, but it's only been a day.

But the best news of all....the battery indicator is fixed (I now have a complete battery)!

aristobrat
03-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Hmm. I pulled mine out of the holster once today and saw the "do you want to take the tutorial" screen, so I'm assuming it rebooted, but ... I don't use BlueTooth, so it wasn't that.

gadgtman
03-10-2006, 09:24 PM
If I recall correctly, it took a couple of days for the BT reboot problem to surface on the old release, so I'm not going to jump to any conclusions. So far, so good, but it's only been a day.

But the best news of all....the battery indicator is fixed (I now have a complete battery)!
For what it's worth, the bluetooth problem happened immediately for me with the old software. I've diconnected/reconnected at least another 20-30 times today since my last post (no lie) just to reinforce that the bluetooth reboot problem is licked. No problems - I'm convinced.

gdpmumin
03-10-2006, 09:48 PM
I just upgraded to the latest Verizon release. I use a hosted Exchange service. During the upgrade, my BB's PIN was sent to the Exchange server and Enterprise Activation comopleted completely automatically. Tech Support at my Exchange service provider said he had never seen that happen before.

crackedoutontheblack
03-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Using BellCA software right now and staying that way - phone is working like a charm - gonna let you guys be my "testers" :)

genearch
03-13-2006, 02:34 PM
Not sure what's happening in my case. I updated to 4.1.0.268 and now the bluetooth connection drops every few minutes. I paired as I did before and am pretty comfortable with the pairing procedure.

Any ideas? possible to downgrade the firmware?

I'm connecting to a 2006 BMW E63 (650i) It worked fine before, with the exception of the reboot when disconnection issue on occasion.

Raven
03-13-2006, 07:43 PM
beaware that you will lose all your themes after the upgrade.

Had not had any BT probelm since the upgrade.

eTron
03-14-2006, 12:27 PM
Upgraded to the latest Verizon build. I had the Bell one on there. It crashed in the middle of the install, but I got t working. Here are the changes I notice.

1. Faster navigation, minimal lag if at all
2. Better recent call list layout (doesn't seem as cluttered)
3. Quicker to connect / disconnect
4. Seems after I reactivated (*228) the phone got an extra bar of service
5. Default theme is nicer / better layout
6. Stock browser seems to be a little faster
7. Messages inbox default settings organize in / out going messages better
8. Fixed my hold down "1" to call voicemail

Even though I had to reinstall IM+ and litefeed this was WELL WORTH the upgrade!

Donna
03-14-2006, 06:01 PM
Just installed the 7130e handheld OS upgrade ver 4.1.0.268 and noticed it has Korean language & font support as an option. My Korean boss will be thrilled to hear about this!

Hoppyjr
03-15-2006, 10:21 PM
HELP!

I downloaded the update to my computer and started the install - that was fine, BUT I accidentally hit the cable and disconnected the device, causing the process to stop and give an error message indicating that the device was not updated. I tried to re-install again and now all I get is a strange looking screen that seems to be multiple "partial installs" of the OS on top of each other.

I tried to go into Application Loader and uninstall the OS, but I don't get that option. Does anyone know how to completely erase/refresh the entire device, so that MAy try the install again?

I appreciate the assistance - I tried searching and found nothing helpful.

Hoppy

aristobrat
03-16-2006, 01:05 PM
There's an utility called JavaWipe that will erase everything off of the BlackBerry (OS, .. everything). After that you can use Desktop Manager to put the OS back on.

animlmed
03-16-2006, 01:19 PM
Too bad verizon did not take care of the number button sounds with this upgrade. When I need to silence the phone, I need all functions of it to silence!

whsbuss
03-16-2006, 03:04 PM
Too bad verizon did not take care of the number button sounds with this upgrade. When I need to silence the phone, I need all functions of it to silence!

You will also find sounds in the calculator when pressing the Clear/Del key.

terrapinie
03-17-2006, 12:33 PM
Where can I find JavaWipe? I did the update - no problems what so ever - working great.
One of my co-workers did the install and when it got to the loading screen - his 'calendar' stayed at 75% for several hours. He re-booted and everything seemed fine, except now he doesn't have the option to have the calendar synch wirelessly. He has tried uninstalling the update, and re-installing - but that hasn't helped. Any ideas?

KonTiki
03-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Look in My Signature for JL_Cmder

Hotwire
03-17-2006, 10:00 PM
How do I get this update from bell? I cant seem to find 4.1.0.268 on the bell site, I cureently have 4.10.207 on mine!

enzo86
03-18-2006, 08:44 PM
Im getting DCR messages now on this new FW. I didn't have any on the bell (in over 3 weeks) code just updated to the new verizon code a few days ago , now getting about 5 or 10 DCR a day sometimes they wont clear with a radio on / off. Looks like it may be time to go back to the bell code.

Jason

mfreij
03-18-2006, 11:17 PM
Ok, I have searched this site forever. The desktop manager, specefically in intellisync, shows a foreign language on the titles of everything intellisync related when I connect. I download both of the upgrades on the verizon site and this problem has been there ever since. Has anyone else seen this happen or did everyone just download the device upgrade only? I went and removed all blackberry software from the computer and reinstalled the software from the website fresh and still the same problem. Any ideas would help.

Thanks.

Miro47
03-21-2006, 01:57 PM
"Originally Posted by hurl03
anyone else notice that turn bluetooth on and off is no longer on the home screen after the upgrade? I can only seem to access it through the settings menu... any advice?"

I am having the same problem. The BT icon is missing from my home screen. I have tried turning in on/off many times and it is still gone. It is not hidden. Anybody have any ideas?