PDA

View Full Version : Server Licensing

CDub
03-08-2006, 11:14 PM
Planning an email migration project and need some info on BES. I will be removing all BES users from one companies server and adding them to another totally independant server. (our company was bought out by another)

After i've moved users exchange mailboxes to new environment, can i just write down and import the BES licenses that i have on my existing server to new server where all users will reside, then proceed w/ wireless activation?

Are the license keys that are on a BES server tied into the SRP in anyway?
thanks inadvance for your time.
cheers...

dev
03-09-2006, 04:31 AM
The CALs are not bound to the SRP. With BES 4.0, the single configuration database allows for "license pooling".

exchangemymail
03-10-2006, 04:34 PM
"license pooling"?

Can you explain what you mean by this?

BlackBerryLinks
03-10-2006, 04:56 PM
"license pooling"?

If you have more then 1 BES sharing the same Configuration Database, all licenses are in 1 pool and it does not matter on wich BES the user is. All users on all BES servers must be less or equal to the license in the pool. So moving a user (or all users) from one BES to another does not change the number of license you use.

Again only if all BES has the same Configuration database (mostly on a MS SQL server).

Regards,
Bob

jibi
03-10-2006, 04:57 PM
"license pooling"?

Let's say you have 120 CALs installed on BES1 which is connecting to a remote configuration database. You build up a new server, BES2, with 20 CALs and point it to the same database. You now have 140 total CALs to use on whichever server. You add a third BES with 20 more CALs, then you have 160 total.

If you remove a BES from the database, the CALs stay with the current pool (you'll have to remove manually).