PDA

View Full Version : Does blackberry handle 'Pull' emails ?

Dazed
03-09-2006, 02:48 AM
I still like the old fashioned method of checking for new emails at set periods of time (eg every 30 mins). Will Blackberry allow me to do this or am I forced to use push email ?

Stinsonddog
03-09-2006, 02:55 AM
If you use POP the Blackberry servers only poll about every 15 minutes. You could also leave your wireless off and turn it on every 30 min. Why bother. Let them sit there. You'll get used to it.

I still like the old fashioned method of checking for new emails at set periods of time (eg every 30 mins). Will Blackberry allow me to do this or am I forced to use push email ?

Dazed
03-09-2006, 02:59 AM
Yeah, im sure it will grow on me if i get the 8700.

I just liked the idea of a regular email client. seemed like i'd have more control over it rather than being force fed everything and taking up my monthly data quota.

Can you set it up so it will only download the headers ? body ? and leave any atachments on the server ? Id hate for someone to send me a huge attachment and choke my blackberry and eat up my data quota!!

Thanks

hbomb341
03-09-2006, 03:07 AM
Let them sit there. You'll get used to it.

Let them sit there ... ARE YOU NUTS? the entire reason behing the Crackberry is to reduce you response time to less then a minite. I personal try to send the persont he respons to an email before they send the origianl to me. You know ESP, oh wait that isnt it but that is the expectation many of my clients and boss.

markhatter
03-09-2006, 04:18 AM
Hiya

Attachments are not sent unless you request them. All that is sent is a 2k header until you request the full attachment.

The same is true for emails, if a large mail is delivered, you'll only get a small part of it until you read it and scroll down.

takeshi
03-09-2006, 07:13 AM
I just liked the idea of a regular email client. seemed like i'd have more control over it rather than being force fed everything and taking up my monthly data quota.

The way to handle that is to configure the filters on your BIS or BES to suit your needs.

mgerbasio
03-09-2006, 08:58 AM
If you're looking for a way to handle pop/imap mail where you just look for it when you want it, just get a third party mail client. It'll probably allow html mail, manual polling and you'll actually log into the server unlike the BWC client forwarding. You can probably set it to just download the headers and select what messages you want to completely download.

Regards-Michael G.

Fireproof
03-09-2006, 09:02 AM
Can you set it up so it will only download the headers ?
Thanks

Yes. You can also configure FILTERS so that it only sends certain messages to you...

justin.culp
03-09-2006, 09:37 AM
The filters are the best....I use them and wouldn't go without them...especially if you have multiple addy's going to your bb.

billclark
03-09-2006, 06:24 PM
Attachments aren't downloaded to the device unless you request them, so it won't touch your data quota, if you have one. :)

-B