PDA

View Full Version : 7100T in the U.K. (Scotland)

TimW
03-11-2006, 08:50 PM
OK....done some searching here and this is what I think I know for an upcoming vacation in Scotland. I run my own business, so need data/email access. Phone, I could care less about, and won't be making any, local or LD calls while I am in Scotland...all I want is email.

- The 7100T will work in the UK (specifically Scotland) using my US SIM card
- T-Mobile shows excellent to very good coverage in Scotland
- T-Mobile has an International Roaming package for $20.00 per month, and this covers both data and voice
- To implement this service, call TMO and tell them to turn it on. It's pro-rated, so I can turn on right before leaving and turn off right when I get back, making the potential charge less than the $20.00

So, if I am reading things correctly, my phone will work, and it'll cost me an extra $20 to have my email access in Scotland for the 2 weeks I am there.

Anything I am missing/overlooking?

Also, anyone in the U.K. able of giving me a real-life idea of coverage in Scotland (Arrochar, Inverness, Isle-of-Skye, Edinburgh, Ft. William, Broadford, Glenco/Loch Lomond areas).?

NJBlackBerry
03-11-2006, 09:01 PM
I've been to a few places in Scotland - mostly in and around Aberdeen, and the coverage there is superb. Just make sure you are using T-Mobile (UK) when you get there. It should work fine.

TimW
03-12-2006, 12:03 AM
OK...so, if my service here is TMO (using my BB 7100T), won't my service automatically be TMO over there?

Yes, I am a noob when it comes to using cell phones in places other than Mexico. :)

Tim

NJBlackBerry
03-12-2006, 12:14 AM
It *should* pick up T-Mobile, but there are many GSM/GPRS carriers in the UK. Orange, O2, Vodafone. It should pick it up, but if it doesn't, you should go into the Network setting, change it to Manual, scan and select T-Mobile.

Then set it back to automatic when you get back home.

TimW
03-12-2006, 12:28 AM
OK....Never having done the 'scan' thing, I just did that under tools. Pretty easy. Sounds like it might be best if I manually selected it just to make sure.

I don't need to have continual, 24/7 access...as long as I can get my email when we hit coverage, then reply as needed, I'm golden.

Now, just to be clear, my BB email and the POP access should follow me wherever I am, as long as a) I am hooked up to TMO's network and b) I have the unlimited data (I know, not a full requirement, but beats paying data surcharges).

Thanks!!

NJBlackBerry
03-12-2006, 12:30 AM
And T-Mobile has properly set up International data...

TimW
03-12-2006, 01:02 AM
Lol

NJBlackBerry
03-12-2006, 06:45 AM
GSM/GPRS coverage in the UK will be far superior to what we have here...
No worries.