View Full Version : Memory

mark.hogan
12-07-2004, 10:54 PM

Mark Rejhon
12-08-2004, 09:51 PM

MadMedik
01-31-2005, 09:21 PM
Hi again,

Pretty much sure I am going to switch to a BB. Now, which one to get? I am open to any/all suggestions. In particular, I would like to hear if anyone finds there to be a noticable difference between the 16MB and 32MB versions?

Also, for those of you with a bluetooth model - the website says you can use this for a headset, but I assume you can also use this for wireless synchronizing?

Oh, and if anyone in the GTA have a BB for sale, please feel free to pm me with the model number, components/accessories included and your price. Please don't post it here, as I'm sure there is a better section of the forum for that.

Thanks mates,

MM

NJBlackBerry
01-31-2005, 09:23 PM
What carrier do you want - that sometimes drive the decision. The 7290 is great, and I like my 7100t (but others don't like the keyboard layout). More memory is always good.

Bluetooth is ONLY for audio/headset. No data transfer. No synchronization. Audio only....

bfrye
01-31-2005, 09:29 PM
I really depends on personal preference.

If you like the typical phone layout, go with a 7100 from TMO or soon to be released cingular. Or find an unlocked gsm 7100 and put it on your favorite gsm provider.

If you like the layout of the traditional BB, go with the 7290. The 7100 and 7290 are near identical capability-wise, just form factor is your main preference.

There's also the 7520 from nextel that includes the features of the 7290 and 7100 and adds GPS, but is only available on the IDEN network.

Check the buy/sell forum for people selling devices. If your are unsure, it might be a safe bet to buy a older 7230 or 7280 (or 62xx if you aren't concerned with a color screen) for cheaper before you decide to spend more on a more capable model. You can always sell the older unit if you decide to upgrade without losing much money.

MadMedik
01-31-2005, 09:29 PM
I am currently with ROGERS in Canada and intended on staying with them, if that makes a difference...

bfrye
01-31-2005, 09:32 PM
GSM network then. Any number of unlocked TMO/Cingular/ATT/Rogers devices should work on that network.

MadMedik
01-31-2005, 09:42 PM
@<hidden>

Okay, thanks. That's what I was wondering. I have previously used unlocked cell phones on other networks but since a Blackberry seems to require interaction with a server, etc, I didn't know if that was user programmable or if it was "hardwired" ie ROM settings for network communications.

Sounds like business as usual.

I have posted another thread with this question but since you are here. I am used to my Sony Ericsson P800 and have a 128 MB expansion for photo's and software. I was surprised to see the choice is 16 or 32 MB with no expansion. Seems to me the 16 MB would be pretty limited for customization?

MM

bfrye
01-31-2005, 10:21 PM
I have a couple of 16mb devices and for work purposes I don't have any problems running out of memory. Granted I have no games on there aside from the default brickbreaker and usually hang around 2mb free... but we don't need much more than that for work.