PDA

View Full Version : To be unlocked or not

zygut
03-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Whats the deal with unlocked devices?

It sounds like with an unlocked device you can get a month to month plan from a carrier, which will allow you to switch carriers at your leisure (Verizon data plan is better than Cingular, but if I find out I have to move to Canada in two months, then being able to switch to Cingular is necessary) instead of being locked in to a 2-3 year contract. However, does it cost more for month-to-month service? I've heard that with unlocked phones you can pop in a SIM card when in Europe and function, does this mean I cannot do this with a locked device, and instead have to use Cingular's network and pay a heafty roaming charge?

And whats the deal with unlocking devices? Is it just a secret key combo, like "left, right, left, right, up, down, up, down, a, b, a, b, start" and then you are good to go? Are the companies who are selling unlocked devices just hoarding this secret key, or is it more involved to unlock a device?

jbairdjr
03-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Unlocking devices works best with GSM/GPRS devices (TMobile, Cingular, etc).
This would allow you to use a 7100T (TMobile) on the Cingular network, if that was your desire.
I would check with the carriers, some may not allow service without a contract (unless you have a government or business contact with the carrier).

phrider
03-12-2006, 01:57 PM
T-Mobile will not initiate service with a month-to-month contract even if you supply an unlocked phone. They want a minimum of 12 months to establish service. After the one year period, however, you can be month-to-month.