PDA

View Full Version : How much different are the browser emulation modes ?

Dazed
03-14-2006, 01:45 AM
As anyone noticed differences between the blackberry, Microdoft IE and MS Pocket IE etc etc emulation modes ?

They all seem the same to me. What one do most people use ? so far i find the blackberry browser underwhelming especially compared to the treo 650 which rendered the pages quite realistically. Maybe I have the wrong options set ??

Thanks

justin.culp
03-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Alright....this has been discussed before but not too thouroughly.

I do know that when I emulate IE I'm able to log into my bank which I cannot do otherwise. Also, the option for 'screen' or 'handheld' also changes which sites I can actually use.

I've always been unclear about the emulation modes also.

Just gotta find a site you cannot get to work and try another mode I guess.

I'm a huge help, huh?

jibi
03-14-2006, 09:57 AM
The emulation mode simply changes the user agent identification of the browser from something like this:

BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107

to something like this:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107

When you see people who post here wirelessly, you can see if they are using browser emulation or not. It does not add any extra support with the setting change, per se... it simply 'tricks' web servers into thinking the browser is compatible or not with their site (and usually this is ONLY based on server-check configuration for browser agent IDs).

justin.culp
03-14-2006, 10:08 AM
That makes total sense.

Thanks!