PDA

View Full Version : Send or Recieve Address Book Entry

Airmark1
03-14-2006, 06:55 PM
On the Palms, it is easy to send a Address Book entry to another Palm. Just beam it!

I am wondering if it is possbile to send an entry to another BB. Perhaps a send a message or something. But I would like all of the info on the entry. Address, phone, alternate phone, etc....

Just curious.

I guess this also goes for MEMOS, TASKS, etc.

d_fisher
03-14-2006, 11:23 PM
You can attach Address Book contacts (OS 4.1 required) to an email and send it to someone else. There is no 'beaming' of any information from device to device.

jbairdjr
03-14-2006, 11:25 PM
about the only thing you can send is an appointment (if you are on BES)

Airmark1
03-15-2006, 01:08 AM
Any BLUETOOTH transfers from on BB to another?

ChrisH_Cincinnati
03-15-2006, 01:44 AM
No bluetooth transfers for file sharing.

My suggestion (and I am still new at this, so take it for what its worth) is to confirm that you are always backing up your device....then if you are required to get a new handheld, you can simply restore it and you have not 1 address book entry....but ALL entries!

Airmark1
03-15-2006, 01:50 AM
Yeah, it is not realy about backing it up the info. I do that with my Palm very often.

It is more about: Meeting someone and asking for their card (electronically). Hiring a bunch of new people at work and want to wait for the dorky guy to make all of the entries is his device, as I just ask him for the entries later and quickly get them. Or lastly, make a shopping list (via Tasks I assume) and send it to my friend or wife.

Stuff like that.

Not THAT important. But kinda cool.

Fkewl
03-15-2006, 09:00 AM
Blackberry is all about security, so exchangeing information too easily is not secure (imagine "Oops, did i just send you that extra confidential contact ?")

And Bluetooth documents transfers can (very very slim chance, i know) open a door to the blackberry.. not secure for RIM

I have a band-aid solutions

-Since BB use Contacts, why not ask the person who is doing the information entry to Export the contacts folder (before, create a new folder would be best) in a txt/csv/mdb format and you could then import them easily into your Contacts.. which then gets syncronised with the BB..

-To ease the exchange of vCards, keep an email with your vCard attached to it.. then just send when you need. Or ask the other person to send you an email with the vCard attached.. you'll need your computer, but it will then get syncronised to your BB

But dont lose hope, their might be third-party solutions that exist or on the way which might help in your situation.