PDA

View Full Version : Can I get my exchange and POP3 email on my 8700c?

jbposell
03-17-2006, 03:30 PM
So I am using my 8700c with the BES for my work email and all is fine. However, I have a personal POP3 email account I would love to get onto the BB too. Their web interface sucks, so that is not an option.

Any suggestions? Thanks

jbposell

whsbuss
03-17-2006, 03:39 PM
So I am using my 8700c with the BES for my work email and all is fine. However, I have a personal POP3 email account I would love to get onto the BB too. Their web interface sucks, so that is not an option.

Any suggestions? Thanks

jbposell

Do you have access to your carrier's BIS? If so, you can setup a POP3/IMAP integration with your other email account. Both will work together on your 8700c.

jbposell
03-17-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm not that technical -- can you explain in more layman's terms what that means? We use an outsourced Exchange server, but they are customer-focused, so they are probably willing...

chrisnol
03-17-2006, 05:36 PM
Go to the Cingular Web Client on the internet using an internet connected PC assuming Cingular is your carrier (they now call it BIS for Blackberry Internet Service --not to be confused with your corporate BES which is Blackberry Enterprise Server and is totally different). I believe you can also do a setup directly from the 8700 but using an internet connected PC is much easier.

Click on "Create New Account" and you will be prompted for you PIN # and IMEI number which are specific to your device as well asking for info for your POP 3 account (login link and account name and password for your POP 3 account) as well as your preferences for other setup options. Once that is done the BIS service will "poll" your POP 3 account every 15 minutes and forward any new email from that account to your 8700. Your corporate email should still be forwarded as well, but through your corporate server (BES) run by your company. In effect you will have email from two different email accounts sent to your 8700 by two different methods-- One from your company BES the other from the Cingular forwarding service (the Cingular BIS)

Here is a link to the Cingular BIS/ Web Client service:

https://webclient.blackberry.net/WebMail/Login.jsp?site=mycingular&locale=en&debug=null

If you are not on Cingular, each carrier has a similar BIS, although I believe T-Mobile's is now accessed only from the handheld rather than on your PC

texex91
03-17-2006, 06:45 PM
You say "you will be prompted for you PIN # and IMEI number which are specific to your device as well asking for info for your POP 3 account "

Well I do not get prompted for any PIN or IMEI. All it asks for when setting new account is address and password. I'm trying to get my emails sent from my roadrunner account. What gives???

I see the account and it says it active, but no emails are coming through. I'm on Cingular--Help PLEASE!

KonTiki
03-17-2006, 07:29 PM
Check the filters.

texex91
03-17-2006, 07:32 PM
What shouldd the filters be?

It says--so there should be no need to have afilter right??

Default Filter

Do the following with the message when no filters apply:

Handheld

Forward messages to handheld Header only
Level 1 notification

Do not forward messages to handheld

chrisnol
03-17-2006, 08:58 PM
You say "you will be prompted for you PIN # and IMEI number which are specific to your device as well asking for info for your POP 3 account "

Well I do not get prompted for any PIN or IMEI. All it asks for when setting new account is address and password. I'm trying to get my emails sent from my roadrunner account. What gives???

I see the account and it says it active, but no emails are coming through. I'm on Cingular--Help PLEASE!
Did you go to the Cingular Web Client link in my prior post and click on the "create new account" button?

texex91
03-17-2006, 09:38 PM
yes

texex91
03-17-2006, 09:44 PM
I have an account created (did it on my blackberry) and have web interface via desktop with name@<hidden>). Now I'm trying to set-up a POP acct, which it shows that I did. It's a roadrunner email account and it shows that it's set-up. Just NOT receiving any emails from it.

texex91
03-17-2006, 09:47 PM
It shows that I have the acct set up:

Email Accounts
name@<hidden> << This is the only one I receive emails from

name@<hidden> << This one is setup, but do not receive any emails on my BB from this acct

chrisnol
03-17-2006, 10:22 PM
It shows that I have the acct set up:

Email Accounts
name@<hidden> << This is the only one I receive emails from

name@<hidden> << This one is setup, but do not receive any emails on my BB from this acct
go into profiles, email accounts, on the web client web site. doubleclick on your roadrunner email acct and make sure you have your login password for that acct entered. you might also click on add new email acct and do the process all over and "add" your roadrunner email account

texex91
03-17-2006, 10:38 PM
Okay got it figured out. Must check "Leave a copy of message on server" in the advanced settings in Outlook Express for my POP acct.

chrisnol
03-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Okay got it figured out. Must check "Leave a copy of message on server" in the advanced settings in Outlook Express for my POP acct.
Good luck and enjoy

jbposell
03-20-2006, 12:27 PM
This works for me, thanks for the help!

Treo Dude
03-26-2006, 08:59 AM
[QUOTE=chrisnol]Good luck and enjoy[/QUOTE

I have a question as i want to have service on cingular and Rogers as i travel across Canada and the US. I would like to know if i can leave my BIS on Cingular and set up BES on rogers with the same pin and imei. I would be swaping sim cards when i am in each country in an unlocked 8700c

Thanks

Berry One
03-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Dude,

Don't complicate your life. Set BIS and BES accounts with your current carrier (Cingular, right?). Make sure they work.

You travel to Canada. You put Rogers SIM to blackberry. Rogers is happy to pass your data to RIM as your SIM is blackberry data enabled and 8700c is unlocked.

Your data comes to RIM. RIM does not care where your data comes from: Rogers or Cingular. As long as RIM knows which wireless carrier your data comes from (and they do) they will send data to the same carrier and it will figure out how to push it to your blackberry.

You will be getting your emails both from BIS and BES which you set up on Cingular, when you are in Canada with Rogers SIM in your blackberry.

It is assuming, of course, that blackberry is unlocked, and both SIMs are blackberry data enabled.

Treo Dude
03-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Dude,

Don't complicate your life. Set BIS and BES accounts with your current carrier (Cingular, right?). Make sure they work.

You travel to Canada. You put Rogers SIM to blackberry. Rogers is happy to pass your data to RIM as your SIM is blackberry data enabled and 8700c is unlocked.

Your data comes to RIM. RIM does not care where your data comes from: Rogers or Cingular. As long as RIM knows which wireless carrier your data comes from (and they do) they will send data to the same carrier and it will figure out how to push it to your blackberry.

You will be getting your emails both from BIS and BES which you set up on Cingular, when you are in Canada with Rogers SIM in your blackberry.

It is assuming, of course, that blackberry is unlocked, and both SIMs are blackberry data enabled.

Okay, that sounds easy so what I understand you are saying is that I do not have to register the PIN with Rogers in Canada. Everything will get picked up by my Rogers sim with the BB data account while I am in Canada even though my BIS and BES is with Cingular.