PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry 5820 on PAYG?

sebpayne
03-18-2006, 07:21 AM
I have purchased an ex-corporate Blackberry 5820 which was on the O2 network. However, when I insert a SIM card, it says it is unrecognised and I don't know what to do. Using various guides, it looks like the phone isn't locked to anything. O2 says it should work with voice and SMS.

Any ideas on what I can do? 8-)

Thanks

xelena
03-22-2006, 09:19 AM
the phone is locked. maybe you can contact o2 or send an e-mail to blackberry regarding unlocking. there wre also sites that offers unlocking. i got a 5820 too and it's from O2, im so lucky to find it unlocked. i am now using it on a Prepaid Account. and it works.

sebpayne
03-22-2006, 11:24 AM
Why does it need unlocking since it is an O2 phone? Is it locked to like a corporate network or a pre-pay contract?

I'll ring O2 and see what I can do. Should I ring Business Customer Servce?
It only cost me £10 so it is just a bit of fun until I can afford a real :bb: on contract but that looks like a distant hope!

Thanks - I'll let you know how I get on.

sebpayne
03-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Yay! Some success. After reinstalling BlackBerry OS 3.6 (downloaded it from another network and removed vendor.xml), everything seems to be working (nearly). I can send and receive SMS messages, receive phone calls (need headset) as well as read SIM card stuff. It looks like he Phone and Browser apps were not installed before - some weird corporate setup.

However, the Browser icon is still missing. I have nothing under Host Routing Tables and there is no option to add anything - IIRC, there was some information there before about O2. Any idea on how to enter it?

Thanks

Seb

stevec_ny
03-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Try reloading the OS & making sure that the Phone app is checked. You still won't get be able to web browse without a real Blackberry plan though. Phone & SMS are all you'll be able to use on PAYG.