PDA

View Full Version : Guide: Use SIM without BB service in BB, No DCR message

dc/dc
03-20-2006, 12:26 PM
Preface:
Normally, when one inserts a SIM card that does not have BlackBerry service provisioned to it into a BlackBerry device (such as a pre-paid card), "Data connection refused," will appear instead of the operator name. This can be very frustrating especially when roaming. However, thanks to a user named BB7100V (who I hope doesn't mind me posting this guide), there is a way around this. After performing these steps, you will be able to utilize your BlackBerry as a phone and SMS device without the DCR message.

How to Remove "Data connection refused":
1. Scroll to the Options
2. Scroll to Network Options (Mobile Network on 4.2 devices)
3. Set the selection mode as Manual
4. Scan for network
5. Select your home network
6. Set the selection mode back to automatic
7. The operator name should now be displayed on the home screen instead of the DCR message.

Notes:
1. This method is known to work on the 7100, 7700, 6200, and 8700 series GSM devices.
2. I tested this with my work-issued T-Mobile USA SIM card in my 7730, 6230, and 8700c. BB7100V tested an O2 UK paygo card in his 7100v with 4.1 OS.
3. This process must be performed every time the device is power cycled.

dc/dc
03-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Ttt.

rebel_ins
09-06-2006, 04:49 PM
thank you! very helpful should be in faq

dc/dc
06-05-2007, 07:54 AM
Updated for 4.2 devices.

Dawg
06-05-2007, 08:32 AM
good work DC

takeshi
06-05-2007, 08:36 AM
3. Set the selection mode as Manual

This won't work for at&t customers then (probably worth noting).

pronerd
06-06-2007, 12:31 AM
The "Data connection refused" message just means that the current plan does not have data service. It has nothing to do with the SIM card. It is related to how the account attached to the SIM is configured.

I would be very careful trying this. If you have a BB on a service plan with out an unlimited or pre-bundled data plan then you are probably being hit with per use charges which are much hirer than normal.

takeshi
06-06-2007, 07:43 AM
The point is that this can be used to hide the message for those that find it annoying. From a practical end-user standpoint the nitpicky difference in whether it's the SIM or the account tied to the SIM is irrelevant. The OP was effectively saying that he knows that this temporary workaround works with TMO and that another user confirmed that this works for O2 prepaid.

I would be very careful trying this. If you have a BB on a service plan with out an unlimited or pre-bundled data plan then you are probably being hit with per use charges which are much hirer than normal.
How would adjusting the selected network lead to ("hirer") per-use data charges??