PDA

View Full Version : PDF/Doc/xls support thru the BlackBerry browser

jpeters
03-22-2006, 11:49 AM
Quick question:

I can view pdf/doc/xls attachments thru the email client, but can not do so thru the browser client. Is there any configuration setting that I need to do to make this happen? Is there any 3rd party software that would allow this to happen? If so, what and where? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

earth
03-22-2006, 01:20 PM
just to clarify:

You can view the pdf (example) if it's in an attachment, but if someone sends a link to a URL to the pdf if won't open?

jpeters
03-22-2006, 04:06 PM
To clarify, if I get an email on my blackberry, with a pdf as an attachment, I can view it. So, I assume that the email client has the abillity to display pdf files.

When I try and open a pdf file in the web browser, by clicking on a link to it, or using a hard coded url to a pdf I get a 406 error. So, does the BlackBerry web browser support the ability to display a pdf? If not, is there any 'magic' that can be done to launch the email client when clicking on a pdf link in the web browser.

Not sure if this makes sense, so lemme know what you think.

rcbjr
03-22-2006, 07:23 PM
The browser doesn't support PDF, only the email App does.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr

Brian_G_in_OC
03-28-2006, 01:42 AM
jpeters --

I want to buy a Blackberry 7130e, but had the same problem when I tried to use the Verizon store's demo phone to open .doc and .pdf files on a site I use often for work. (FYI... The site (with *'s rather than .'s so I can post here.... is www*courtinfo*ca*gov/opinions ....I am a lawyer and like to read these newly-published cases on a handheld device.) I was told that the only way this could be done is if the phone is connected to a BES. But to make a long story short, it appears that only version 4.1 works, not 4.0.

If anyone has a BB connected to a 4.1 BES, can you try to download one of the legal opinions on the Web site to see if it works for you? And if it does work, what provider do you use?

THANK!

salako
03-28-2006, 03:46 AM
I use BIS and cannot open PDF's even in emails, is this because I use BIS rather than BES? or am I missing something. I have a 7290. Any ideas on getting this working will be appreciated.
BTW I get a document conversation failed error message

asianmaze
03-28-2006, 07:13 AM
(y) To read .pdfs, and word and excel files etc you need to buy eoffice from dynoplex. www.dynoplex.com (http://www.dynoplex.com)

I have it and it works well and means I can get to see most things people send me and can create files too. If you do a search there's plenty on the forum about it. I can say too that its customer service is second to none.

n4wwl
03-28-2006, 01:07 PM
I am connected to a BES running OS 4.1 and I cannot open .pdf or .doc files from either my "Browser" or "BlackBerry Browser." I can display them as attechments to e-mail, however.