PDA

View Full Version : ARGH!!!DUST!!!!!!Enough Already! I Promise A Solution!

delmarco
03-22-2006, 09:23 PM
So my 8700c came today via UPS. It was sealed and brand new in the box. I took it out and then looked at it, leaving the plastic on I had it charging for a hour or so whiles I went to grab a bite to eat and read the paper work that came it the box. I went back to my new $400.00 device and peeled the plastic off, turned it on, tried it out in the OEM holster, and played around with it for about 10 minutes before I turned it off to put it back in the box (I still need to unlock it for my Tmo sim card)

Of course I saw a few specks of dust at the top edges of the screen...
WTF!!!!!

Listen...This is not a rant, as an engineering student, I promise to find a solution to this annoyance!

I already have a great lead...
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=29433

BTW...The 8700c was from the latest batch out of the RIM factory.

oyster rsx
03-22-2006, 09:28 PM
BTW...The 8700c was from the latest batch out of the RIM factory.

how do you know? i have also just recieved a new one a week ago and it has dust as well very annoying...

delmarco
03-22-2006, 09:34 PM
I know the seller, he works at cingular and made sure I got the most recent one, from the most recent delivery from RIM.

At least I'm hoping. But I'm sure I can trust him.

yustonuser
03-22-2006, 09:52 PM
Guys - are you saying you got dust underneath the screen after 10 minutes? Or dust collected on the screen itself? Its a phone y'all - dust and smears are going to collect on the screen no matter what. Am I missing something? My new 8700 has tons of smears from when I talk on it but it doesn;t appear to be anything underneath the actual screen itself. Can you clarify?

coreyg510
03-22-2006, 09:54 PM
mine has scratches dust and finger prints. I just wipe it off on my shirt or pants and keep right on trucking.

IMO this is a little to nitt picky, but to each their own.

delmarco
03-22-2006, 10:25 PM
It's not about smudges, or wear and tear dust under the screen. It was dust under the screen when new. Heck I didn't even make a single phone call yet!
And I still gotta pay Adam $40 to unlock it....

Anyway this is not a rant thread, It is a SOLUTION thread.
I see these dust specks as my challenge...

Everyone can complain but only a select few can solve it.

dc/dc
03-22-2006, 10:29 PM
I got one 4 months ago, and have no dust.

I think the gods of BlackBerry must hate you.

yustonuser
03-22-2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the clarification Delmarco - I just can;t seem to understand how you can see dust under the screen yet. I just hope I don't find out (but hope you resolve your of course) You can see it when the screen is off, but once you use it and the screen turns on, can you still see the dust?

Stinsonddog
03-22-2006, 10:31 PM
So you aren't blowing the air or kissing someone, you are saying "dust free?" I hope you find a solution. Suggestion though. Get a screenpatranous screen protector, put it on, see if it still bothers you and still collects the dust. If not, you will be cool, and find a cooler solution.

It's not about smudges, or wear and tear dust under the screen. It was dust under the screen when new. Heck I didn't even make a single phone call yet!
And I still gotta pay Adam $40 to unlock it....

Anyway this is not a rant thread, It is a SOLUTION thread.
I see these dust specks as my challenge...

Everyone can complain but only a select few can solve it.

delmarco
03-22-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the clarification Delmarco - I just can;t seem to understand how you can see dust under the screen yet. I just hope I don't find out (but hope you resolve your of course) You can see it when the screen is off, but once you use it and the screen turns on, can you still see the dust?

The dust is white almost metallic specks...there is three, possibly more. I didn't see it until I turned it off. But I will admit after reading about dust problems here over the last 5 months...I was indeed looking for dust and I guess I got what I was looking for (n)

However you wont notice it when the screen is on.
And Please I don't need lectures on "expecting alittle dust under the screen"
All my previous and much cheaper BB never had dust problems. When I save up for a few months to splurge on a $400.00 "cellphone"...I dont want any flaws.

My money could've went to tuition or the mortage of my new condo...but I like RIM products and I'm just made a daring purchase.

Anyhow...I'm glad I have a new challange and I promise all you on this forum that within a month I will have the END ALL DIY TO 8700c DUST ISSUES here. Even if I have to take apart 10 of these devices.

dc/dc
03-22-2006, 10:49 PM
The dust is white almost metallic specks...there is three, possibly more. I didn't see it until I turned it off. But I will admit after reading about dust problems here over the last 5 months...I was indeed looking for dust and I guess I got what I was looking for (n)

However you wont notice it when the screen is on.
And Please I don't need lectures on "expecting alittle dust under the screen"
All my previous and much cheaper BB never had dust problems. When I save up for a few months to splurge on a $400.00 "cellphone"...I dont want any flaws.

My money could've went to tuition or the mortage of my new condo...but I like RIM products and I'm just made a daring purchase.

Anyhow...I'm glad I have a new challange and I promise all you on this forum that within a month I will have the END ALL DIY TO 8700c DUST ISSUES here. Even if I have to take apart 10 of these devices.

If you're really butt-hurt about the cost, you should return it and get a cheaper one.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: You've got to pay to play.

coreyg510
03-22-2006, 10:53 PM
Yes, you have said it before:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?p=196970#post196970

:wink: I am very proud of you as well. I havent seen any newbie bashing for a while

dc/dc
03-22-2006, 10:54 PM

:wink: I am very proud of you as well. I havent seen any newbie bashing for a while

:razz: Thanks... :)

KonTiki
03-22-2006, 10:54 PM
I am not dissing you here DelMarco but I have seen your posts from way back and I do know you have wanted one of these for so long, why since you want to unlock it for use with TMO and you waited till now, just a few short weeks of their release of the 8700, did you go out and buy a unit that has long been known for a serious flaw in construction. I would want one too but I own a 7250 that till today has behaved quite nicely, even if someone were to give me a Cingular unit with free service tomorrow, I would sell it but would not try it to only be dissatisfied later.

Again please do not think I am blasting you just trying to understand, BTW, in my opinion I would put it back in the box and take it back or resell it on ebay and put a bad experience behind me.

Seattle18
03-22-2006, 11:06 PM
I would put it back in the box and take it back or resell it on ebay and put a bad experience behind me.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. I would try to replace it with a new unit if possible. I am on my 2nd one and it has ZERO dust in it, after 4 weeks of use. If that didn;t work, I would learn how to dissassemble, clean, and reassemble it, especially sif I were an engineering student. The device if worth keeping. KonTiki has yet to take the plunge and get addicted to it, but in time it will happen...in due time... (y)

bobhammer
03-22-2006, 11:32 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

What can we do, I dun want to open it up, as it is pretty risky!!!what solution I got here??

wirelessandy
03-23-2006, 02:40 AM
Suggestion though. Get a screenpatranous screen protector, put it on, see if it still bothers you and still collects the dust.

Wait-- Are you saying the Screenpatronus protector covers the 8700 in a way that prevents dust from creeping under the screen?

The OP is talking about dust UNDER the screen, right?

delmarco
03-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Hey Whats Up KonTiki,
I sort of see where you are coming from. I was gonna wait for the Tmo 8700g to come out next month, but I just know I'm not gonna get one for cheap and I know that I probably wont be able to unlock it since Tmo BB are infamous for being the most difficult and expensive RIMs to unlock if the unlock at all.

Actually my 7290 has been serving me well. But I needed a change. And I figured it was good to gamble on a cingular 8700c an dget it unlocked so I can have that flexibility.
Actually I don't mind the challeneg of the dust...but I find that the structural integrity/quality of exterior plastic shell and parts on the 8700c to be cheaper than my Tmo 7290 plastic shell and parts , especially the battery cover-that is the cheapest cover I've ever seen on a PDA/phone.

thanks for the reminder of my earlier post...
those 7230/7280/7290 forums were the good ole days!

delmarco
03-23-2006, 10:36 AM

Sorry Super Mod,
I'm not a noob. I'm a 4Berry veteran and have been thumbing the RIMs since the MonoColor display days and with my recent acquisition of the 8700c puts me on the top tier here.
Del
(y) :bb:

dc/dc
03-23-2006, 10:51 AM
Sorry Super Mod,
I'm not a noob. I'm a 4Berry veteran and have been thumbing the RIMs since the MonoColor display days and with my recent acquisition of the 8700c puts me on the top tier here.
Del
(y) :bb:

He wasn't talking about you ace.

He was complementing me on not abusing too many people over the last few days.

delmarco
03-23-2006, 11:03 AM
oh...
opps.
Do You work for T-Mobile?
Whats the best deal I can get on the Razor. My girlfriend wants one.
Thanks

dc/dc
03-23-2006, 11:09 AM
oh...
opps.
Do You work for T-Mobile?
Whats the best deal I can get on the Razor. My girlfriend wants one.
Thanks

No problem. :)

No, I don't work for T-Mobile, but I probably should with all the free advertising I give them.

kaberkaber
03-23-2006, 06:17 PM
I got one 4 months ago, and have no dust.

I think the gods of BlackBerry must hate you.

hah.
Naw I've gotten a few specs of dust under my screen as well.
I usually try to shake the Blackberry and hopefully it slides to the edges where I can't see it.

Good luck on finding a solution.

Bratag
03-23-2006, 06:21 PM
Hey Whats Up KonTiki,
I sort of see where you are coming from. I was gonna wait for the Tmo 8700g to come out next month, but I just know I'm not gonna get one for cheap and I know that I probably wont be able to unlock it since Tmo BB are infamous for being the most difficult and expensive RIMs to unlock if the unlock at all.

Actually my 7290 has been serving me well. But I needed a change. And I figured it was good to gamble on a cingular 8700c an dget it unlocked so I can have that flexibility.
Actually I don't mind the challeneg of the dust...but I find that the structural integrity/quality of exterior plastic shell and parts on the 8700c to be cheaper than my Tmo 7290 plastic shell and parts , especially the battery cover-that is the cheapest cover I've ever seen on a PDA/phone.

thanks for the reminder of my earlier post...
those 7230/7280/7290 forums were the good ole days!

Hrmm I just called TMO after about 6 months of paying bills on time and they unlocked my 7100t with no hassle at all.

delmarco
03-23-2006, 07:00 PM
not sure about the 7100t, but everywhere i went i was told the 7290 was unlockable...and one guy on ebay wanted $100.00 + $60 shipping back & forth to unlock it-maybe he was from tmo.

I never thought about going to tmo to unlock it.

maybe I will.

btaugner
03-25-2006, 08:49 AM
ok, newbie here but i just use a can of compressed air and lightly (distance the straw) blow into the sides and earpiece and viola the dust is gone...

Ok, Bash away

delmarco
03-25-2006, 09:47 AM
I also tried that, but I felt that the dust was somehow not just creeping in behind the screen, but the screen was electro-statically charged somehow to attract the dust.
The best solution is really antistatic wipes, wipe down every exterior surface on the front of the device, from keypad area(i realize that the keypad is very loose on the 8700c) to the earholes at the top.

Then use a the longest piece clearshield you can find and cover the device from the "cingular logo" all the way above the earholes as you can find. The clearshield (if you get it from a good brand-I found mine on eBay) also adds some desensitizing to static and dust.

Madleroy
03-27-2006, 06:59 PM
delmarco:
I know what your talking about. I'm a software developer and use a notebook 95% of the time. 2500 smackers and right out of the box, I've got 3 pixels on the LCD that are stuck on red. I thought hmmmm, that really sucks.
Gave alot of thought to sending it back. This latest notebook was a replacement for another one that gave up the ghost.
I average about 9 hrs a day sitting here in front of the machine.
I see the pixels, and still think that for 2.5 grand, they shouldnt be there.
but I also know, it's the luck of the draw. this screen just happened to have a few bad pixels.
as they say, s#!t happens.
it is refreshing to see someone look at it with the mindset of hmmm what the solution.
I think taking apart the case and blowing it out with a can of air is going to be your best bet.
(imho) what your describing makes me think it was just some flash off the case. a good dose of canned air will fix that.

but I agree, when we put down our hard earned money on a product, it would be nice to get a product in pristine condition.
yea, my 8700c has smudges. Just noticed a small scratch on the screen the other day. It's less than a month old but gets heavy use.

But when it came out of the box, it was in pristine condition.

Chuck..

wangta01
03-28-2006, 10:45 AM
Good lord - i opened up my 8700c successfully but wasn't able to remove all the dust successfully. I think I actually have more dust in there then when I started! The problem is not with the display itself, rather getting the dust off the inside of external housing. Think I was wiping that sucker for 15 mins!

Anyone know how to do this without having a crazy vacuum-dust free room?

On another note, I examined the gasket seal in detail - mine did not have the same indent seen in the pictures above. I'm actually wondering if the seal just sux. Its made of this foam material, that looks porous - which perhaps lets dust in (?). I'm looking at some alternative products, maybe a silicone seal or something.

DLH
03-28-2006, 11:16 AM
I just went through all of this dust buster crap and contacted Cingular for a replacement. Much to my surprise they said they were not aware of the issue--YAH RIGHT!!. But they did send me a replacement unit which was marked refurb. Don't know if the dust problem was fixed but the the letters and numbers on the refurb keyboard are a tad llarger font size, which in itself is a welcome change. I also seem to get better reception with the refurb than my original model. As for the screen savers I used them and they did prevent dust spots. The dust appears to enter from the keyboard. To validate the point of many you only notice the dust when the unit is off. I have 13 days to decide whether to keep the refurb or not--looks brand new. Any thoughts??

lgreenberg
03-28-2006, 01:16 PM
I opted not to keep the refurb I was sent.

I'm not convinced the dust issue is fixed in any way so I didn't want to bother with it.

gadgetfanatic
03-28-2006, 01:21 PM
I'm beginning to love my dust. It's becoming part of the family!! Embrace your dust. It means you no harm:-)

DLH
03-28-2006, 01:30 PM
I'm beginning to love my dust. It's becoming part of the family!! Embrace your dust. It means you no harm:-)

good one---I'm going for broke---refurb with dust and the biggest after market OEM battery I can find--might even throw away all my screen protectors:razz:

wirelessandy
03-28-2006, 09:19 PM

Interesting thought.:smile:

The funny thing is, as much as dust bugs the *$&%# outta me (I'm currently using a featureless Nokia 8890 because there is NO air gap for dust between the LCD and cover), the longer I search for that "just right" wireless gadget, the more the 8700 looks better and better for my needs. Almost enough for me to just forget about the dust issue and TRY to look past it.

Of course, I know myself too well and know it'll probably lead to dust-filled heartbreak. The 8700 should come with silica gel dessicant packs that doubles as OCD medication. :-o