PDA

View Full Version : Voice recognition typing?

Stabs
03-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Does anyone know if RIM has plans to do some sort of voice recognition typing? AKA: Write your e-mail by saying the words instead of typing them out.

This seems like a logical step in the mobile handheld department and I was curious if anyones heard anything.

jibi
03-27-2006, 05:33 PM
I would doubt very seriously if RIM would develop or market software along these lines, although I'd say that the chances of having it come from a third-party vendor such as Nuance (formerly ScanSoft; makers of Dragon Naturally Speaking) might be a logical step for them. Some people might want to start an email campaign to them for such a product. If the healthcare/pharma or legal industries get behind such a request, I'd say the likelihood of it being developed would increase exponentially (the general consumer market, for dictation software, is very small when compared to pharma/healthcare and legal markets).

NovaReality
04-01-2006, 09:57 AM
Wirelessly posted (BB 7510: OWG1 UP/4.1.20a UP.Browser/4.1.20a-XXXX UP.Link/5.1.2.16)

I would doubt very seriously if RIM would develop or market software along these lines, although I'd say that the chances of having it come from a third-party vendor such as Nuance (formerly ScanSoft; makers of Dragon Naturally Speaking) might be a logical step for them. Some people might want to start an email campaign to them for such a product. If the healthcare/pharma or legal industries get behind such a request, I'd say the likelihood of it being developed would increase exponentially (the general consumer market, for dictation software, is very small when compared to pharma/healthcare and legal markets).

Also let us not forget the reason why the speaking program was scrapped on computers it was counter productive

NovaReality
04-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Wirelessly posted (BB 7510: OWG1 UP/4.1.20a UP.Browser/4.1.20a-XXXX UP.Link/5.1.2.16)

Does anyone know if RIM has plans to do some sort of voice recognition typing? AKA: Write your e-mail by saying the words instead of typing them out.

This seems like a logical step in the mobile handheld department and I was curious if anyones heard anything.

I don't see voice recognition in the future but the writing tablet would be more idealistic (if not already done) but that's just my opinion

HaTaX
04-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Hmmm, it's already here guys! Has no one tried this program yet?

http://www.mobilevoicecontrol.com/

I've been using it and it's pretty damn nifty! Only complaint is that it's a little on the slow side.. Still has pretty good accuracy though..