PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE help me on First Blackberry Purchase!!!

Dynamic323
02-07-2005, 11:00 AM
I am about to purchase a 7100t from T-Mobile, unless you guys persuade me some other way...but i have some questions about what services i should get. I am an individual, and I want to use my Gmail, to be pushed to the blackberry, by forwarding to the blackberry email address...but, does that mean i need to get the BES, or is the BWC the same? And will both allow me to have the return-to address as my gmail?

Also, I want to have the best and fastest web browsing capabilities, and what would your advice be on this matter? I've heard the 7100t has great browsing, but is it different from BES to BWC? Also, I'll be using PocketMac and bluetooth...

All of your imput would be much appreciated!!! Thanks.

jibi
02-07-2005, 11:46 AM
BWC will allow you to do what you want with Gmail (you could also pop to your Gmail account, but that'd only be once every 15 minutes, so forwarding may be quicker in this scenario; you can set your reply address as your Google email). Get the add-on BES if you want a 3rd party MDS/BES provider (myblueberry.com, for example) or if you plan on using it with a corporate BES.

TMO has already or will soon roll out their BWC/BIBS 4.0 configuration. I'm not sure what the difference will be for browsing with that versus a 3rd party BES/MDS provider. I've never really used BWC, so I'm not sure.

Dynamic323
02-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Interesting, what is myblueberry.com? And does anyone know the difference in the browser capabilities of BES vs. BWC?

corey@12mile
02-07-2005, 12:41 PM
myblueberry.com as well as a bunch of other companies offer hosted BES/Exchange. This allows you to sync pretty much everything you have in Outlook (mail, calendar, contact, tasks, etc) wirelessly with your handheld. As well it gives you full TCP/IP connectivity with the internet, where-as the carriers often limit the connectivity you have.

For straight up email you most likely don't need BES, but for most games, and applications you may find yourself needing it.

Dynamic323
02-07-2005, 12:58 PM
like for what kinds of apps or games? Assume, i need IM, push email, and a good browser to see news, sports, sites, etc....

and you cant download games without BES?

And is the IM client on the 7100t good enough, or is verichat better?

Dynamic323
02-07-2005, 12:58 PM
like for what kinds of apps or games? Assume, i need IM, push email, and a good browser to see news, sports, sites, etc....

and you cant download games without BES?

NJBlackBerry
02-07-2005, 01:00 PM
There must be 20 threads already out here on IM and Verichat.... Please browse the "Charm" discussion group which has 7100t specific information.

Every question you've asked has been answered. Over and over and over....

Mark Rejhon
02-08-2005, 03:45 AM
I'm going to try the "Help one Newbie, Save A Bunch Of Newbies" method rather than the "RTFM" method :) That's how I function anyway, cross-link and cross-reference the forum like crazy with clickable hyperlinks.

Check out my Instant Messaging FAQ at:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=25166
(And other newbies who happen to read this thread, will no longer have to ask the question for another day or two ;) )

Model 7100 questions should be posted here in the Charm Forum:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewforum.php?f=20

If you plan to do more emails and IM than phone, consider the 7290 instead of 7100t. It's MUCH better than the 7100t for heavy usage, and you can thumbtype much faster on a 7290.

For videogames, look for them in the Aftermarket Forum at:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewforum.php?f=5
And our wonderful sponsor,
http://www.magmic.com

It is best to avoid posting unrelated questions in the same thread -- Post your questions in their respective forums.

(There. I know, this thread won't prevent other new users from posting redundant questions, but it will have a temporary effect on the Signal-To-Noise ratio. ;) )

NJBlackBerry
02-08-2005, 03:58 AM
RTFM ;)