PDA

View Full Version : Google talk - does it count as a SMS message?

lawgal25
04-05-2006, 10:53 PM
I only have the data only plan by tmobile - so i downloaded that program for AIM that supposedly acts as data instead of SMS messages (begins with an "r" ) so i wont get charged, but what about google talk?

Steve
04-05-2006, 10:59 PM
I only have the data only plan by tmobile - so i downloaded that program for AIM that supposedly acts as data instead of SMS messages (begins with an "r" ) so i wont get charged, but what about google talk?

You mean RambleIM? Yeah, GoogleTalk is similar to it; only you don't have to set the APN to use GoogleTalk since it's provided by RIM.

Ramble and Google Talk do not use SMS; they use your data plan.

Steve

lawgal25
04-05-2006, 11:02 PM
thanks steve! yeah I dont want to incur any extra charges! :)

Steve
04-05-2006, 11:08 PM
thanks steve! yeah I dont want to incur any extra charges! :)

Because everyone's "mileage-may-vary", one thing prefer to do if I'm trying out a new app on the Blackberry is to do so a few days before the billing cycle is over, then check to see if it incurred charges. Piece of mind in a few days!

Steve

JohnBoyWalton
09-30-2006, 12:15 PM
I know this is bumping a really old thread but is this info 100% fact? I don't IM that much so don't want to have to pay for add on txt messages and certainly don't want to pay per msg. I just installed google talk to try it out and it works great. But don't want to keep using if it racks up a big charge.

One thing, do you have to change the sms setting to gprs or just download and use google talk as is?

CableGuy711
09-30-2006, 03:49 PM
google talk uses Data not SMS so as long as u have the data plan u are golden. =)

now if i can only find a reliable aim transport....one that doesnt randomly drop everyday.

im currently using Aim.deepdarc.com which went offline for me for about an hour today.

rambo47
09-30-2006, 04:16 PM
oops. wrong thread!

JohnBoyWalton
09-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Very cool, thanks for confirming. The more I use this BB the more pathetic it makes the Sidekick look.

flash24
09-30-2006, 06:46 PM
no, data