PDA

View Full Version : Intel Based iMacs Running PocketMac

Meatbag
04-06-2006, 09:02 AM
I'm thinking about upgrading my older iMac to one of the Intel based iMacs. Does anyone have one yet and have successfully used PocketMac on it? Everything works flawlessly and don't want to upgrade until I know most app's are now cool with the new chipset.

I did read at PocketMacs website that there was problems running it but that statement was made back in January and wasn't sure if that was still the case.

DallasAtty
04-07-2006, 04:20 PM
No worky. Hopefully, "we're working on it" means "we're working on it." Somehow, I'm not going to hold my breath. Afterall, they're blaming it on a USB problem with the Intel iMac, but every other device I have that uses USB does so flawlessly. Not a good sign.

apple85
04-07-2006, 04:53 PM
YOU CAN NOW DUAL BOOT!! Apple released software :) no need for pocketmac just use the windows side for your BB :)

CanuckMakem
04-09-2006, 08:17 PM
YOU CAN NOW DUAL BOOT!! Apple released software :) no need for pocketmac just use the windows side for your BB :)

Hell no... I want to use iCal and am not planning on loading Windoze onto my iMac.

Kripto
04-10-2006, 07:28 PM
PocketMac seems to be a pretty shady company. No way to reach them and they don't seem to update their "news". I don't think I would trust their product on my computer..

Just my .02c

No worky. Hopefully, "we're working on it" means "we're working on it." Somehow, I'm not going to hold my breath. Afterall, they're blaming it on a USB problem with the Intel iMac, but every other device I have that uses USB does so flawlessly. Not a good sign.

CanuckMakem
04-10-2006, 08:57 PM
PocketMac seems to be a pretty shady company. No way to reach them and they don't seem to update their "news". I don't think I would trust their product on my computer..

Just my .02c

Do you have an alternative? I mean they can't be that shady if RIM has partnered with them.

cblackberrynyc
04-11-2006, 08:33 AM
PocketMac is a small company and they will get a universal upgrade out. Its great to have RIM paying our way with PocketMac now, but do wonder if that is going to speed up or slow down the process. Being a PocketMac customer over the years I got to believe they are working on it. Adobe doesn't have universal products out yet, and the only thing shady Adobe is the high prices, and maybe the software activation BS now...

dmoffitt
04-16-2006, 12:46 AM
To all of the idiots saying "just suck it up and dual-boot XP" - that kills the whole point of the amazing integration apple has w/ Mail.app, iCal, Address Book, and all of the other OS apps. If you don't have / use a mac much (or properly) that means nothing to you, but then you also wouldn't understand my calling you an "idiot" for your "suggestion" :D Having to somehow do periodic exports of all of these applications, copying them to my FAT32 XP partition and importing / merging w/ Windows' piss-poor facsimiles of these applications could be SOMEWHAT automated w/ an AppleScript or Apple's Automator, not so much on the PC side, but that is not true SYNCing - nor is it a good or efficient workflow. What NEEDS to happen is RIM needs to get off their proverbial butt and instead of licensing a crappy band-aid like Pocket Mac, they need to make these devices standards-based. It ALWAYS pisses me off when people call Macs "Proprietary" and say that is why such-and-such won't work, what could be more standards based than *nix (BSD) and running things like Apache, etc - I run my business on an XSERVE and let me tell you, Apple is as standards-based as they come. If RIM could latch into the iCal API directly (even 37Signal's basecamp website can do this!) or make everything SyncML or iSync compatible, that would fix it - hell, my several-year old Sony Ericsson T616 could do all of that, and over BT to boot.....

jonlevine
04-16-2006, 01:12 PM
Amen to that dmoffitt.

cblackberrynyc
04-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Might just have to suck it up and pack up the BB for a Treo 650? It may come to that. RIM leaving support for the Mac to a 3rd party developer is not good enough. The intel mac was not a surprise, the app should have been universal long ago.

NJBlackBerry
04-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Yes, I can see dozens of artists and students leaving the RIM fold for a Treo.

Do the math - the BlackBerry is still designed for business, military and governments. You know, those idiots that still use Windows.

It just isn't an important market for RIM, I guess.

dmoffitt
04-17-2006, 12:36 AM
Yes, I can see dozens of artists and students leaving the RIM fold for a Treo.

Do the math - the BlackBerry is still designed for business, military and governments. You know, those idiots that still use Windows.

that's about the dumbest thing i have heard from a marketing / business standpoint. why would they want to pre-edit customers??

NJBlackBerry
04-17-2006, 05:23 AM
Because you can't please all of the people all of the time. It's not dumb, it's business.

Why no RIM developed Linux drivers? No market.
Why no RIM developed MAC drivers? Same answer.

Kripto
04-17-2006, 04:40 PM
I don't understand why pocketmac wouldn't run on an Intel Macbook. If it supports Bluetooth serial (which it does) and you can create a serial port and associate it.

The pocketmac binary runs (under rosetta), using bluetooth, it doesn't have to use the crazy weird serial port problem that apple introduced like 4 months ago with the laptop.. (4 months and pocketmac developers can't figure it out? That frightens me!!!)

Either way, does anyone have a way of getting their contacts from their computer to their blackberry that doesn't involve a cable or bluetooth connection? Its going to suck to try and enter them all in manually....

Katrina Niolet
04-17-2006, 05:23 PM
You might want to try SyncML...I believe there is a client for Blackberry.

Katrina Niolet
kniolet@<hidden>

finch
04-17-2006, 05:58 PM
They need to recompile code. The Intel x86 achitecture is completely different from the IBM PowerPC processor.
I don't understand why pocketmac wouldn't run on an Intel Macbook.

jonlevine
04-17-2006, 07:45 PM
They need to recompile code. The Intel x86 achitecture is completely different from the IBM PowerPC processor.

Not necessarily. PowerPC apps will run on an Intel Mac using Rosetta. Office:Mac 2004 is a perfect example. It's not a universal binary, it's a pure PowerPC app. Rosetta is an emulation program for PowerPC apps (think VirtualPC for Windows apps). The issue is (according to PocketMac) that the way the Intel Macs utilize USB is different than the way PPC machines do. But if that's the case, why do my other USB devices work (mouse, scanner, printer, etc).

I just can't believe that it's taking PocketMac this long to figure out how to make it work!

finch
04-17-2006, 07:54 PM
It's not PocketMac issue anymore, RIM took other the PocketMac BlackBerry Sync development a few months ago.
Not necessarily. PowerPC apps will run on an Intel Mac using Rosetta. Office:Mac 2004 is a perfect example. It's not a universal binary, it's a pure PowerPC app. Rosetta is an emulation program for PowerPC apps (think VirtualPC for Windows apps). The issue is (according to PocketMac) that the way the Intel Macs utilize USB is different than the way PPC machines do. But if that's the case, why do my other USB devices work (mouse, scanner, printer, etc).

I just can't believe that it's taking PocketMac this long to figure out how to make it work!

jonlevine
04-17-2006, 07:59 PM
It's not PocketMac issue anymore, RIM took other the PocketMac BlackBerry Sync development a few months ago.

Really? So, if I'm reading you right, PocketMac is now a RIM product? I hadn't heard that. According to their press release, they partnered with PocketMac to offer their product free of charge to Mac users. Effectively, they farmed out responsibility to make their product work with Macs to a third party. Now you're saying that they've purchased PocketMac's program and are re-writing it? What would be the purpose of that?

finch
04-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Take it FWIW http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=23692&highlight=RIM+PocketMac but I don't think you'll be satisfied until it works to your standards. My understanding is RIM will be assisting in the development of the AppLoader feature and all around enhancement of PocketMac.

jonlevine
04-17-2006, 08:17 PM
...but I don't think you'll be satisfied until it works to your standards.

I would take just working! :smile:

I'm not interested in App loader right now, though it would be nice. I just want to sync my calendar and contacts.

Anyway, we could do this all night. Whoever's working on it needs to hurry up!

CanuckMakem
04-18-2006, 12:40 AM
I would take just working! :smile:

I'm not interested in App loader right now, though it would be nice. I just want to sync my calendar and contacts.

Anyway, we could do this all night. Whoever's working on it needs to hurry up!

Yeah I agree.... its getting very anoying, I might just get a Treo.

dmoffitt
04-18-2006, 01:01 AM
I've been in communication w/ Pocket Mac - never once did they pass the buck to RIM (to apple, however, that's another story). Evidently it's related to the implementation of USB (drivers) on the new Macs... odd since every other USB device I have works great, but understandable.

To those saying BT this and BT that, last I checked the BB (at least my 8700) only supported things like Hands Free, and not pairing w/ a computer / OBEX etc.

And NJ - moderator or not, WTF are you doing posting in the "Mac Users Corner" if you feel the Mac is such a useless platform for business? FYI my entire business, every employee, every manager, my developers, graphic designers all are on the mac platform, as are MANY of my clients. Some of our contracts have dealt w/ Disney, I can assure you they use a lot of Macs and also many have BlackBerrys (in fact, that's part of WHY I got one, I was intrigued by the "Sent from my BlackBerry" message footers and learned more). I get paid for my services, and I don't mean the kind you can buy on a street corner hehe - last I checked that's BUSINESS :D

darwin
04-18-2006, 01:08 AM
Just for the record, I'm a network engineer and support more than a small handful of clients who LOVE, won't go to anything else, and swear by their macs.

Oh yeah, they are also important enough people that they need access to their e-mail and the ability to send/receive/sync on a daily basis... with their Blackberries.

Macs != useless platform in a business envornment, sorry.

apple85
04-18-2006, 02:06 AM
i worked for Apple and honestly... I'd still dual boot there is just somethings Apple's can't do... For everything else there is dual booting into XP :)

jonlevine
04-18-2006, 08:21 AM
i worked for Apple and honestly... I'd still dual boot there is just somethings Apple's can't do... For everything else there is dual booting into XP :)

You're missing the whole point Apple85. Syncing your blackberry is not a one-off action like loading an app, it's tied to your calendar and contacts. Using your suggestion, I would use my Mac for everything else, then when I wanted to send an email or setup an appointment, I would reboot my computer, boot to XP, send my email, reboot again, and boot back to OS X. Seriously, that's your suggestion?

This is not something that a Mac is incapable of doing, as your suggestion implies. Why can certain cell phones sync with Macs (even doing so via bluetooth)? This function is built in to Mac becuase they realize the value in it. It is RIM who apparently doesn't.

On another note: the 'Macs aren't used for business' argument is old and untrue. Walk into Grey Advertising, they're the ones with their own skyscraper on 3rd Avenue in Manhattan, and you'll see a Mac on 90% of the desks (and that goes for ALL agencies). Bertram Yachts, arguably the world's best sportfishing yacht, uses all Macs. With cross-platform file compatibility, there's really no barriers anymore (name a file format that you can't open on a Mac?).

Anyway, I'll just be sitting here waiting on PocketMac....as usual.

aristobrat
04-18-2006, 08:37 AM
At least RIM appears have interest in officially supporting it.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that RIM's "explosive growth" in the military, gov't and business arenas is over. That, added to the competition that they're starting to see as Treos and Window Mobiles devices start to become mainstream in the US, would make many markets that they haven't paid attention to more attractive.

“We are very pleased that Apple’s mobile customers will be able to enjoy BlackBerry and synch with their Mac using the PocketMac application,” said Mark Guibert, Vice President, Corporate Marketing at Research In Motion.
http://www.blackberry.com/news/partner/2005/pr-10_01_2005-02.shtml

apple85
04-18-2006, 10:13 AM
I'm looking at the solution to the full potential of the blackberry, right now Pocket Mac doesn't offer up close to being the full solution, not only that, but I can't use my uber fast EVDO 7130e because my damn power book doesn't support it as a modem... And ya know what your still going to need an XP computer to load Apps because pocket mac doesn't have an App loader. I know the mac isn't incapable either, I'm a former treo user that synced and used it as a modem my verizon e815 sync'ed to. I'm just saying man right now if I had to choose that's how I'd do it if I had a spare XP disk laying around (Which i do haha!! But no intel mac :() Keep in mind I think us mac users just hit 6% of the market share (or whatever they call it), but yes yes yes I agree it's rim's fault for the sake of arguement and we should be able to just have the same program xp guys use and apple's aren't flawed one bit and apple couldn't possibly have made a sync solution or written a modem script for us... >:-) I'm not trying to argue, just my opinion...

You're missing the whole point Apple85. Syncing your blackberry is not a one-off action like loading an app, it's tied to your calendar and contacts. Using your suggestion, I would use my Mac for everything else, then when I wanted to send an email or setup an appointment, I would reboot my computer, boot to XP, send my email, reboot again, and boot back to OS X. Seriously, that's your suggestion?

This is not something that a Mac is incapable of doing, as your suggestion implies. Why can certain cell phones sync with Macs (even doing so via bluetooth)? This function is built in to Mac becuase they realize the value in it. It is RIM who apparently doesn't.

On another note: the 'Macs aren't used for business' argument is old and untrue. Walk into Grey Advertising, they're the ones with their own skyscraper on 3rd Avenue in Manhattan, and you'll see a Mac on 90% of the desks (and that goes for ALL agencies). Bertram Yachts, arguably the world's best sportfishing yacht, uses all Macs. With cross-platform file compatibility, there's really no barriers anymore (name a file format that you can't open on a Mac?).

Anyway, I'll just be sitting here waiting on PocketMac....as usual.

cblackberrynyc
04-18-2006, 01:04 PM
How come other sync programs for other devices are not having problems?

Isn't the BB based on Java?

Is the "usb" reason just BS?

The intel mac was not a surprise the universal sync app should have been ready.

RIM's reliance on ONE companies app for Mac sync is not taking care of mac users. There should be a couple app's from different companies not only to take care of the mac market, but also to drive development on the BB in the mac market.

The BB "smartphone" is rather broken now that for several months mac users are unable to sync.

Might put alot more $$ and life into that old treo sitting in the drawer.

RIM's prior support for mac was zero. Now we see the mac support is still way below acceptable.

aristobrat
04-18-2006, 02:04 PM
RIM's prior support for mac was zero. Now we see the mac support is still way below acceptable.
And the only thing that's going to bring Mac support up to "acceptable" is when RIM and the PocketMac release a new version of PocketMac.

If RIM is giving PocketMac the input that it I think it needs, then I wouldn't be surprised if the PocketMac folks weren't building the next version "new", from the ground up.

Until then, I see no point in *****ing about RIM's Mac support. We're lucky to have it. I haven't seen Microsoft put any effort into getting their Windows Mobile 5 devices working with Macs.

apple85
04-18-2006, 02:09 PM
I couldn't agree with you more about Microsoft, I mean look at their support for Internet Explorer (Oh wait i mean their no long supported IE for Mac) their crappy windows media player for mac, I'll just stop there... Oh well all good things come to those who wait.
Until then, I see no point in *****ing about RIM's Mac support. We're lucky to have it. I haven't seen Microsoft put any effort into getting their Windows Mobile 5 devices working with Macs.

aristobrat
04-18-2006, 02:19 PM
Well, I'm willing to at least wait for the next version of PocketMac. ;)

If it doesn't take six more months to ship and/or it doesn't show some serious signs of improvement, then I'm all for beating RIM repeatedly about the face.

But I figure it's at least fair to give them a chance.

NJBlackBerry
04-18-2006, 02:25 PM
And NJ - moderator or not, WTF are you doing posting in the "Mac Users Corner" if you feel the Mac is such a useless platform for business?
I guess pissed off, unsupported Mac users don't believe in freedom of speech.

Or does that not apply in your little world?

And I will be more than happy to stay out of your world.

Bye bye.

cblackberrynyc
04-18-2006, 02:36 PM
There is quite a runaround here.

The cellular provider says Blackberry doesn't support Mac (and does) contact RIM:

RIM says contact PocketMac:

Cellular Provider says (and does try to) contact PocketMac:

PocketMac doesn't answer the phone.

BUT on the PocketMac on their website blames Mac:

"01/23/2006: The new Mac Intel Duo machines running OS 10.4.4 have changed the way they relate to the USB ports on the computer. This change was made after we had already vetted the software on the transitional test machines that were available to developers prior to the big release. The machines they shipped, however, have a defect in the software that manages communications with the USB, and no update is available yet. In addition, GoBetween for Entourage does not display in iSync due to another unannounced change."

Uh.... its now 4/18/2006 and PocketMac has still not come up with a solution.

Going with PocketMac's excuse of USB, how come other USB devices work? How come other USB sync programs work for other devices? How come Bluetooth sync is not a option using this PocketMac software?

RIM doesn't have any answers and is left wondering whats going on.

Customers of the cellular provider and Blackberry and PocketMac get:
An error message, "PocketMac Blackberry, No Blackberry connected; unable to complete operation."

Who is responsible? Who job is it to make this right?

RIM? The Cellular provider?

RIM must have paid PocketMac for the use of the product.
The cellular provider sells the devices for RIM.

Neither have any answers other than pointing to PocketMac.

RIM seems to have gotten ripped off, The cellular provider is just trying solve customers problems. Is PocketMac's problem now everyones problem, except for them?

All while customers have BB smartphones which are not too smart right now.

cblackberrynyc
04-18-2006, 02:51 PM
We as Mac and Blackberry users shouldn't have to worry about what Micro$haft is or is not doing. The only compairison is right now you CAN sync a windows based smartphone device with the Mac and you CANT sync a Blackberry device

Posting or "*****ing" on a forum is the only thing we got now. We got no support... Excuses for lack of support doesn't help the customer, and doesn't get the problem solved.
There is no excuse for PocketMac dropping the ball.
There is no excuse there is no work arounds.
There is no excuse there hasn't been a working sync program since 1/23/06. (almost 4 months ago)

This sure doesn't put Blackberry in a good light (yet its not directly a fault of their own, other than giving half ass'ed mac support, and then only by 3rd party)

I might be with NJBlackberry the Treo is looking pretty temping right now (after 4 months of lack of sync)

aristobrat
04-18-2006, 03:13 PM
You can sync a Windows Mobile 5 device with Mac? When'd that happen? AFAIK, the old Palm Treo is the *only* recent PDAphone that you can sync with Mac. No easy sync support for the Treo 700W, the T-Mobile MDA or SDA, the Verizon 6700, the Sprint PPC-6700, nor the Cingular 6125/8125.

aristobrat
04-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Excuses for lack of support doesn't help the customer, and doesn't get the problem solved.
There is no excuse for PocketMac dropping the ball.
There is no excuse there is no work arounds.
There is no excuse there hasn't been a working sync program since 1/23/06. (almost 4 months ago)
There is also no excuse for a customer to have bought a BlackBerry and expected it to have synced with their Intel Mac when there was no working software to do that when they bought their Intel Mac.

The fact that nobody in the community has come up with a workaround says exactly how complicated of an issue this is.

There's a good chance that it was probably a business decision by PocketMac and RIM to develop an entirely new version of PocketMac that also supports the Intel Mac than spending the time and resources to fix the old Intel Mac version.

But in the end, it is what it is, "no excuse" or not. I just don't see any point in *****ing about it. It's not going to change anything. RIM isn't going to come into this thread and say "oh, that crackberrynyc guy sure is pissed, we better do something quick. oh, wait. there's nothing we can do to increase the support until the new version is done."

cblackberrynyc
04-18-2006, 05:56 PM
RIM other than sending PocketMac $$ (as I understand it) has nothing to do with Pocketmac for blackberry and a RIM tech was as surprised as I was that IAA cant seem to get PocketMac working, he was also surprised that BT was not another useable option at this time.

Understand that RIM's mac support is half-assed at best and all just riding on a 3rd party app (which RIM doesn't support)

Y keep making excuses for the problem? Blackberry is a rather secure device do you really think community members can code good enough to get a sync program working? How come the community before pocketmac for blackberry never made a app to sync? Could it be that the Blackberry is designed secure? This problem is all excuses from a 3rd party software app.

Is it wrong for a customer to expect RIM to have Blackberry apps under control?

Is it wrong for a customer to expect that a Business device made by RIM not have to wait 4+ months so that their smartphones can sync?

Is it wrong to expect that pcoketmac should work under Rosseta, like everything else does which is not intel native?

Is it wrong to not expect every other software company would have the same USB "problems" if we are to believe "The machines they (apple) shipped, however, have a defect in the software that manages communications with the USB"? I call BS.

Has anyone else heard of those things called updates or patches to existing programs? You know those things that enhance and/or fix existing programs? Would it be wrong to expect IAA to make a quick update or patch to the existing PocketMac app BEFORE taking the time it takes to build a new app from the ground up?

With respect just because you "just don't see any point in *****ing about it." Does not mean customers of Blackberry and those that are Mac users should shut up and not expect their Blackberrys to work as promised.

http://www.blackberry.com/news/partner/2005/pr-10_01_2005-02.shtml

"January 10, 2005

For The First Time, Information Appliance Associates Showcases BlackBerry-to-Macintosh Connectivity Solution at MacWorld Expo

San Francisco, CA - Information Appliance Associates (IAA), inventors of the PocketMac®-line of products, today announced that it will be showcasing PocketMac for BlackBerry® from Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM) at the MacWorld Conference and Expo 2005 in San Francisco, CA.

“We are very pleased that Apple’s mobile customers will be able to enjoy BlackBerry and synch with their Mac using the PocketMac application,” said Mark Guibert, Vice President, Corporate Marketing at Research In Motion.

"We're incredibly excited," said Terence Goggin, CTO of Information Appliance Associates. "To be working with RIM and have a product that embraces the Mac market...we couldn’t be more pleased. With PocketMac for BlackBerry, Mac users will be able to extend their systems to wireless environments via BlackBerry.”

The showcase, available at booth 2107 in the main hall at the MacWorld Expo, will include full product demos on a range of BlackBerry handhelds, working connectivity demos of Macintosh computers synching with BlackBerry handhelds and the ability for expo visitors to purchase BlackBerry handhelds with the Mac sync software included at no extra charge.

eAccess Solutions, Inc. is the wireless dealer who will be selling the handhelds at the show. David Bean, President of eAccess Solutions said, “We’re thrilled to be able to connect passionate Mac users with their BlackBerry handhelds and wireless service at the show.”

Goggin added, “This will be one of our most exciting showings at MacWorld Expo as finally Mac users will have a robust solution for their wireless needs.”

and a year later to get more mac users interested, (same expo that the intel mac's were released):

http://www.rim.net/news/press/2006/pr-12_01_2006-02.shtml

"January 12, 2006

BlackBerry to Offer Mac Support

Macworld 2006 Conference & Expo, San Francisco, CA - Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM) and Information Appliance Associates (IAA) today announced a licensing agreement whereby RIM will offer ‘PocketMac® for BlackBerry®’ to Mac users, free of charge. PocketMac for BlackBerry is a desktop application that enables Mac users to synchronize data between their BlackBerry devices and Macintosh applications including core OS X version 10.4 “Tiger” applications and Microsoft Entourage.

“The worldwide popularity of Mac OS X is driving the creation of many exciting new products and significant growth in the Apple development community,” said Ron Okamoto, Apple’s Vice President of Worldwide Developer Relations. “We're thrilled that IAA and RIM have collaborated to better support mobile Mac users with easy-to-use BlackBerry synchronization.”

“PocketMac for BlackBerry is easy to install and allows users to synchronize email, contacts, calendar, tasks and notes with popular Mac applications,” said Terence Goggin, CTO of Information Appliance Associates. “We are pleased to work with RIM to provide this robust solution to Apple’s mobile customers.”

“This licensing agreement will help expand the reach of BlackBerry to another important market segment,” said Mark Guibert, Vice President, Corporate Marketing at Research In Motion. “There is significant interest in BlackBerry from Mac users and we look forward to delivering PocketMac for BlackBerry to customers around the world.”

RIM has licensed the complete version of PocketMac for BlackBerry from IAA and the companies plan ongoing product development collaboration. PocketMac for BlackBerry synchronizes the email, contacts, calendar, tasks and notes of Microsoft Entourage, OS X's Address Book and iCal, Now Contact and Now Up-to-Date, DayLite, and Stickies, among other applications. This easy-to-access solution for Macintosh synchronization is expected to be available as a free download at www.blackberry.com beginning in February.

Further details of the licensing agreement were not disclosed."

There is no excuse....

aristobrat
04-18-2006, 08:40 PM
There're sooo many points in your prior post to respond to, but when you dismiss my guesses as for why there's no Universal PocketMac as "excuses", it's not worth the time.

I have no freaking clue what RIM and IAA are doing with PocketMac. I just find it hard to believe that they're purposefully blundering the situation to create chaos and discord amongst us Macintel owners, which is basically the only conclusion that your posts lead to.

You know, if you actually shared some ideas of your own as to why we Macintel folks are still waiting for PocketMac to work, it'd make for an interesting conversation. The only thing I'm getting out of your posts is that you're angry, as if you bought your Macintel expecting PocketMac to work, and have finally realized that it's going to be awhile before that happens.

Is it wrong to expect that pcoketmac should work under Rosseta, like everything else does which is not intel native?
Sorry, had to respond to this. It's *very wrong* to expect that every PPC executable will run under Rosetta. Have you seen the list of apps that don't work in Rosetta over at macintouch.com? PocketMac is far from being the only PPC software that doesn't run in Rosetta.

cblackberrynyc
04-18-2006, 09:09 PM
Well I guess it doesn't matter to some that IAA has dropped the ball with PocketMac for Blackberry, making Blackberry less of what it should be.

RIM makes the Blackberry and did the PR that Mac's can sync with Blackberry, and a year later PR'ed that they were giving Pocketmac for blackberry for free download. Sounds like a solution to me. While relying on only one supplier, while not providing in house support of that app. RIM screwed up on the hopes that IAA would do RIM right. Not putting out a patch, not providing BT support, not giving users any updates for 4 months, while the program they have been paid to provide is broken. IAA Only providing a BS excuse 4 months ago. RIM now can do nothing. Yet other sync app's, other programs, have been updated and/or work under rosseta.

Other than you taking offense to others posting like its wrong to expect RIM devices to work as advertised, why are you defending IAA which is making the Blackberry worthless to mac users right now? All mac users see here, and from IAA is excuses. No solutions.

aristobrat
04-18-2006, 09:29 PM
All mac users see here, and from IAA is excuses. No solutions.
Please finish your train of thought. Why is IAA not giving us a solution?

cblackberrynyc
04-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Will that help the situation? Will answering stupid questions fix the fact that:

IAA Pocketmac has never had the best reputation for customer support?

IAA Pocketmac was a half-assed investment so that RIM could make mac sync claims?

The IAA made excuses on 1/23/06 are not only 4 months old now. The excuses dont hold too much water based on other mac app's which are able to continue to run under rosetta, other sync app makers seem to have made the transition, and lets not also forget that Pocketmac for Blackberry never implemented Bluetooth support, which would have given IAA and customers another option IF there was wide spread USB problems.

IAA has proven they dont work at the speed of business or we'd already have a patch. At this time they are not a good match for RIM, RIM should have done a quality mac solution in house. Am I going to be questioned on MO that RIM makes one of the worlds best smartphones? and that RIM works at the speed of business?

For someone willing to wait "six months" for a solution, is that 6 months from now? or 6 months from 1/23/06? Guess you have little need and dont rely on any of the Blackberry's smartphone functions. Other than email and a phone the Blackberry remains severely crippled and is not at all a good smartphone solution for Mac users at this time. This is all due to IAA PocketMac. The solution which RIM thought they were getting when sending IAA $$ has done nothing but confuse and distance the Blackberry as a option for Mac users can rely on.

Getting upset with what other posters put on to BlackberryForums is not going to make their opinions go away, and stopping the critics isn't going to get IAA moving any faster in putting out a patch so that RIM can save alittle face to business Mac users that bought on RIM's PR's that the Blackberry is a smartphone solution for Mac users.

I know if/when I leave Blackberry I will not be coming back. Wonder how many others now have also learned that RIM doesn't really support the Mac platform and current solutions are half-assed at best. Look around there are many other smartphone options which are getting better everyday which support the Mac platform. The shame is RIM can be losing market share over this that they will never get back.

aristobrat
04-19-2006, 10:46 AM
For the record, I'm not the one getting upset in this thread. That'd be you.

I'm also not trying to stop the critics. I'm just trying to point out a logical explanation for why there isn't a patch for the old version, and why the new version seems to be taking forever.

I forgot that logic doesn't work with someone who's emotional about the matter. My apologies.

cblackberrynyc
04-19-2006, 10:55 AM
Why flame over this? Is this issue about me? or you for that matter? Someone needs to stop the finger pointing at fellow members and grow up. Do you think my past posts we're aimed at you? Do you think I am posting just to you? Do you want or need posters to post directly to you? I'd rather keep this as a forum to post about the mac and the blackberry as it was designed, not about how aristobrat feels about others posts.

A patch has been the way to go, waiting 4 plus months for a solution in business is not acceptable. Adding BT support IF there realy was wide spread Mac USB problems (which there is not) would be a easy patch. Fixing the IAA USB screwup would also be a quick and easy patch.

The real world issue stands the Blackberry at this time is NOT a valid solution for Mac users, all due to IAA PocketMac for Blackberry's lack of support. Which is making RIM look rather bad right now in the Mac community (like it or not).

Have you called RIM or IAA to talk about this? Oh I forgot getting IAA phone support is just about impossible.

We are talking about the RIM BlackBerry (Business smartphone) after all not the Sakar International Berry Device For Kids which comes in Straw, Blue, Grey and Grape flavors.

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=2353

There is no excuse for 4 months and counting and still no valid Mac sync options.

CanuckMakem
04-19-2006, 12:09 PM
There is a new firmware update for Intel Macs.... wonder if this will help? I doubt it but you can hope....

.... anyone updated yet... let us know. I'll do it when I get home.

dmoffitt
04-19-2006, 12:26 PM
another new firmware? or the one released the same day (and that enabled) bootcamp?

cblackberrynyc
04-19-2006, 12:55 PM
I'm up to date and PocketMac for Blackberry still doesn't see the blackberry. The fix for PocketMac for Blackberry is going to have to come from IAA (or RIM if they want to get serious with Mac support)

CanuckMakem
04-20-2006, 12:20 AM
ITS HERE!!!!

http://www.pocketmac.net/versionxml/BlackBerry.html

gsfprez
04-29-2006, 12:09 PM
I am running a MacBook Pro, a BB 8700c, and i now have no problems running PocketMac 3.13. All of my contact, notes, todo's, and notes from all the Apple .apps seem to work just fine for me.

I am not able to use iSync at this time, but the icon in the menubar works, and the PocketMac app seems to do the trick.
here's the email from the PocketMac guys on how to fix a problem with your BlackBerry... i had to turn off wireless syncing and run the first app he linked to.

If you use BES BlackBerry Enterprise Wireless server in the office, please turn it off on the BlackBerry when syncing with the Mac. Generally, to turn off wireless synchronization, you get into the specific application (Address Book, Calendar, Tasks, or Memos), then click on the wheel and choose "Options", then scroll to the "Wireless Synchronization" option, and set that to "No" to turn it off and "Yes" to turn it back on. You then have to "Save" the setting.

Please download and run this cleaning program to clean out the sync history from both ~/Library/Application Support/PocketMac (Panther and Tiger) and ~/Library/Application Support/SyncServices (Tiger) and start fresh:
www . pocketmac . net / public / SyncClean . zip
peverything to a "first sync" state, which may help clear up any stale data that's in the way here.

Please restart your Mac after using SyncClean (to avoid "Merging local records with device" error). When syncing, if the Sync Services debug window comes up, you must click ALLOW. DO NOT check the box to delete data.

You may also download the following utility that will help you purge data from your BlackBerry. WARNING: This will delete ALL Calendars, ALL Contacts, ALL Notes, or ALL Tasks from your BlackBerry.
www . pocketmac . net / public / DataPurgeUI . zip
If you run DataPurge, run SyncClean as well.