PDA

View Full Version : 7130 vs Treo700w

Evil Sports
04-07-2006, 08:34 AM
I really need to get going on purchasing a new PDA phone. I want to have outlook and all my contacts from 3 different business's.
The 2 popular units I see are the 700w and the 7430. Tell me why you would get one of these and why you wouldnt 8-)

jungleland
04-07-2006, 09:11 AM
I really need to get going on purchasing a new PDA phone. I want to have outlook and all my contacts from 3 different business's.
The 2 popular units I see are the 700w and the 7430. Tell me why you would get one of these and why you wouldnt 8-)

There are many threads running right now on the treo, I will copy and paste one of my comments..

Plain and simple, The treo, both 650 and 700 SUCK! Why would someone want to beta test a retail device? Fact is, Treo has been PLAGUED with bugs from day one and it is the most unstable PDA out there...650 is more user friendly and stable than the 700 and that is one very sad statement...

Stick with BB, what it lacks in features it makes up for in reliabilty...

Evil Sports
04-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Well my VW provider said something similar to that about features vs Realiability. I just dont want to be buying a dumbed down version only to have to buy another one in 6 months.
Is there any news of a release of the 71?? with Camera and a memory card slot?

junior1790
04-07-2006, 09:21 AM
The only advice i can give is the bb is the stable, user friendly device out in the market place right now. i have had a treo 600,650 and the 700w all of which are great "looking" pd/phones/e-mail devices but when it comes to usability they cannot compare to the bb. i have a 8700c from cingular, unlocked to work overseas and on t-mobile as well. This is close to the best handheldi have ever used. It does lack certain features that make the treo stand out (touchscreen, stylus, windows??) but at th end of the day the bb is just a better all around piece. The one deal breaker for treo's is the e-mail, NOTHING can compare the bb in that dept....

gdpmumin
04-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Wirelessly posted (7130e VZW: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I went from a BB to a Treo 700w and that lasted all of two days before I went back to the BB. Short answer: 7130e!

A BlackBerry model with a camera and expansion slot are likely a long way off. Some folks even think there will never be an expansion slot given their inherrent lack of security. One of the BB's big selling points is security.

mistermix
04-07-2006, 10:11 AM
I assume you're looking at Verizon as your carrier. If so, keep in mind at 700w cannot be used as a tethered EVDO modem (i.e., hooked to your laptop). Unless something has changed very recently, the 7130e is the only PDA-type device that VZW sells that can be used as a tethered modem. Of course, this might not be an important feature to you.

Evil Sports
04-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Yes teathering is really not an issue to me at this time. I really want to get something like outlook going with my schedule and contact from a couple different business groups

Do any of you use this device for Outlook

apple85
04-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Take this coming from a ex Treo user! DO NOT GET A TREO!! UN reliable as hell... I lost my information so many times, you end up spending way to much money on programs you'll use one in a while just to check them out or have some, the camreas aren't gret and well they are just ugh I can't go on!

mistermix
04-07-2006, 12:37 PM
The 7130e comes with software to synchronize schedule and contact with Outlook (not Outlook Express). I use it with Outlook 2003. It works fine for me.

elmaldonado
04-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Yes teathering is really not an issue to me at this time. I really want to get something like outlook going with my schedule and contact from a couple different business groups

Do any of you use this device for Outlook

Although is an extra couple of bucks it's definately worth it. I would go to Link2Exchange or mail2web.com and sign up for their service and the Blackberry Enterprise Server which give you email, calendar, tasks and notes over the air with no need to sync. I pay $10 a month for that service with Link2Exchange. Mail2web has it free for the Exchange service (only catch is that you have to use the Outlook Web Client instead of Outlook 2k3) and also 10 for the BES service. The treo 700w which I am selling only does email, calendar and contacts and not very good at it.

Evil Sports
04-07-2006, 01:16 PM
Easy there apple, dont want you to blow:shock: I like the idea of link2 and others but I also like to be able to make edits to me schedule on my desk top and sync from there. I noticed in my research of the 700 it also has issues syncing. Does the b-berry have any issues with desk top syncing

deadhead_esq
04-07-2006, 01:22 PM
I switched from Treo 650 to BB 7130e and all I can say is wow, this thing is bulletproof. Some knock the plasticy feel, personaly i think it helped absorb some good throws by my 2 year old. It's a cant miss. I link it to my case management software through outlook and it works like a charm.

apple85
04-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Sorry I just don't understand how people can stand these devices... I'm not the only one out there trust me! The market these things as the can do all device and well yeah sure it can but is it going to work afterwards? no...
Easy there apple, dont want you to blow:shock: I like the idea of link2 and others but I also like to be able to make edits to me schedule on my desk top and sync from there. I noticed in my research of the 700 it also has issues syncing. Does the b-berry have any issues with desk top syncing

junior1790
04-07-2006, 01:28 PM
I sync mine daily via bluetooth to my thinkpad, works flawlessly. i just switched from a 700w (just sold it on ebay actually) and i can't stress enough the difference between the two. i have zero issues with my bb in the 3 weeks, ZERO. the treo as "cool"as it was it's just ready for prime time yet and it's not practical for my needs as a mareting agent. The more i read on this forum the more you will realize the excellent potential of bb's. Treo makes a nice device but definitely form over function. trust us no comparison.....

Evil Sports
04-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Had a 700 in my hands on Monday but the guy upstairs was looking out for me. My wireless provider is away this week and has offered me the opportunity to TRY the 7130 for a week or 2. I cant wait until he gets back from his trip.

elmaldonado
04-07-2006, 11:05 PM

Hey ES... I don't quite understand about making edits on your desktop. With exchange you can do it in outlook 2003 on your desktop and it is reflected on your blackberry. the point is that all your info is always sync'd. I, for example, have a laptop, a desktop at home, a desktop at the office and my blackberry. whatever i do in either of them in Outlook is automatically reflected in the others. It's AWESOME!