PDA

View Full Version : 8700 on Cingular or T-Mobile

wiredwrx
04-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Well, I have a Cingular 8700 that I have recently received the unlock code for.

I have everything working on the BB for the most part. But, with using Cingular and BIS, I can't reconcile my e-mail. That really pisses me off. I know I can get an outsourced BES, but I am already paying mega cash for the Cingular BB service, something like 80 bucks or more, that spending more monthly just seems stupid.

I have heard the the T-Mo BIS has been upagraded, and I also see that they are cheaper then Cingular. My question for you guys, and in particular, those that have used both or have knowledge of both systems, what is the difference between the T-Mo service and the Cingular service.

Does T-Mo actually offer an unlimited tethering plan?

I have heard that the T-Mo service allows seperate "mailboxes" and that there is over the air reconciliation. Is that true. Will it reconcile with my Outlook account, which is polling a POP and IMAP e-mail addresses?

What about my outlook calendar, wil that reconcile over the air?

I have no problem connecting the BB to my laptop/desktop to reconcile, but right now, I can't do that with Cingular according to thier Tech support.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. If not, I may just have to test T-Mo and see what happens.

Thanks,
Michael

tfaz1
04-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Lots of information about this if you use the search feature.

Short answer: T-Mobile

takeshi
04-07-2006, 02:46 PM
I know I can get an outsourced BES, but I am already paying mega cash for the Cingular BB service, something like 80 bucks or more, that spending more monthly just seems stupid.
Depends on your needs/wants. Not everyone will benefit from BES. Those of us who do pay for it. Paying for it has nothing to do with being stupid or smart.

Hosted BES/Exchange, voice service, and your Blackberry data plan are three totally different things. What it seems like you're saying (to use a crude analogy) is that since you paid for your car, you shouldn't have to pay for high performance tires or some other aftermarket item that adds/improves functionality.

I have heard the the T-Mo BIS has been upagraded, and I also see that they are cheaper then Cingular. My question for you guys, and in particular, those that have used both or have knowledge of both systems, what is the difference between the T-Mo service and the Cingular service.
The TMO BIS offers nicer integration of email accounts if you integrate via BIS. If you forward to the BIS address like a lot of people do (faster delivery), there's no difference between the two. TMO BIS allows you to natively have mutiple from addresses for all email accounts that you integrate. With Cingular, you get exactly one "from address" that you can make whatever you want and that from address is what appears on all outbound email from the Blackberry even if you integrate 10 email accounts on the Cingular BIS.

Does T-Mo actually offer an unlimited tethering plan?
No. Tethering is just included. I don't know if it's a listed feature or not but it just works. No added charges.

I have heard that the T-Mo service allows seperate "mailboxes" and that there is over the air reconciliation. Is that true. Will it reconcile with my Outlook account, which is polling a POP and IMAP e-mail addresses?
Reconciliation works with integrated Yahoo mail accounts. I'm not sure if it works with any others yet. You do not get reconciliation on all email accounts.

What about my outlook calendar, wil that reconcile over the air?
Nope. That's a BES-only feature (refer to the top of my reply).

deezmfnutz
04-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Reconciliation works with integrated Yahoo mail accounts. I'm not sure if it works with any others yet. You do not get reconciliation on all email accounts.

Reconciliation works with yahoo and properly set-up IMAP and POP accounts. The tmobo BIS is super phat, so much so that I use it instead of the GMAIL filter forward scheme that I used to use.

wiredwrx
04-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Lots of information about this if you use the search feature.

Short answer: T-Mobile

Thanks. I am a big fan of the search function. I did read a bunch of stuff. My question was more specific then what is better. I will keep searching in mind though.

Michael

wiredwrx
04-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Depends on your needs/wants. Not everyone will benefit from BES. Those of us who do pay for it. Paying for it has nothing to do with being stupid or smart.

Hosted BES/Exchange, voice service, and your Blackberry data plan are three totally different things. What it seems like you're saying (to use a crude analogy) is that since you paid for your car, you shouldn't have to pay for high performance tires or some other aftermarket item that adds/improves functionality.

The TMO BIS offers nicer integration of email accounts if you integrate via BIS. If you forward to the BIS address like a lot of people do (faster delivery), there's no difference between the two. TMO BIS allows you to natively have mutiple from addresses for all email accounts that you integrate. With Cingular, you get exactly one "from address" that you can make whatever you want and that from address is what appears on all outbound email from the Blackberry even if you integrate 10 email accounts on the Cingular BIS.

No. Tethering is just included. I don't know if it's a listed feature or not but it just works. No added charges.

Nope. That's a BES-only feature (refer to the top of my reply).

I certainly didn't mean to imply that anyone else spending money is for services they want is stupid. However, I have found, in my limited time with the BB, that the service providers like to Nickle and Dime the hell out of you. I got the most expensive plan on Cingular for the BB, and it still doesn't do what a BB SHOULD. Your analogy, however, is well received.

I guess I am gonna try out T-Mo and see how it works.

Michael