PDA

View Full Version : Can't Unlock my 8700c!!!!!

ref18
04-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Well it seems I've bought an expensive paperweight.

Cingular refuses to unlock it, GSMPhoneSource.com doesn't have a code for it.

I'm not sure what I should do, any suggestions?

tfaz1
04-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Sell it on eBay and cut your losses. And, by the way, no need to get all worked up. I have had the same thing happen to me and dealt with it.

SilverSurfer95
04-07-2006, 03:29 PM

Ref18, did you call the international support line and tell them that you are travelling to Europe for a while and need to have a Euro phone SIM? I got mine from them in no time. Here are my notes below:

Subject: Cinglar unlock

International Customer Service (800-335-4685)
1 Insert Cingular SIM or other into device
2 Power phone on and Turn off the radio (Turn Wireless Off option) VERY IMPORTANT.
3 Select “Options”
4 Scroll down and select “SIM Card”
5 Type “MEPD”
6 Type “MEP2”
7 Enter the Unlock Code
XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX

8 Press enter
9 Reboot device. Device is now unlocked.

Best of luck.

nsbalt
04-07-2006, 03:33 PM
I had the same issue with my 8700c. I am not a Cingular Customer so I had Adam at GSMPHONESOURCE checking every week for me. I also checked a few other on-line unlocking services. I finally bit the bullet and went to GSMLOCKER.com (http://www.gsmlocker.com). It cost more than I wanted to spend, but they were able to provide the code. It took a little longer than the 24 - 48 hour turn around time, but it is unlocked!!

If you are willing to shell out a few $$$, they will unlock it!

ref18
04-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Ref18, did you call the international support line and tell them that you are travelling to Europe for a while and need to have a Euro phone SIM? I got mine from them in no time. Here are my notes below:

2 Power phone on and Turn off the radio (Turn Wireless Off option) VERY IMPORTANT.
3 Select “Options”
5 Type “MEPD”
6 Type “MEP2”
7 Enter the Unlock Code
XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX

8 Press enter

Best of luck.

I tried that, they refused to do it, said I needed to be a Cingular customer.

SilverSurfer95
04-07-2006, 04:13 PM
I tried that, they refused to do it, said I needed to be a Cingular customer.

WOW!!!

I must be lucky. I told them that I had bought it outright and was not a client but it was a Cigular phone. They were so accomodating. Sorry, I wish I could help you more.

sbeindba
04-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Adam at GSMPHONESOURCE can unlock it for you in less then 24 hours and remotely. Cost is about $40-50 bucks. Just go to gsmphonesource.com for more info.

NJBlackBerry
04-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Adam at GSMPHONESOURCE can unlock it for you in less then 24 hours and remotely. Cost is about $40-50 bucks. Just go to gsmphonesource.com for more info.
Read the first post.

tfaz1
04-07-2006, 06:09 PM
In summary, you can spend an arm and a leg on other unlocking services -or- you can sell the phone on eBay and buy another (ideally from a Cingular retail store).

edit: Worst case scenario, the new 8700c is also not in GSMPhoneSource's database and you return it for a full refund. If, by any chance, you are looking to use it with T-Mobile - another option is waiting.

ref18
04-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Hey, I was thinking,

Would anyone with a Cingular account be willing to call for me? I'll give you the IMEI and we can discuss some form of compensation for helping me out.

Get back to me if you're interested.

PIN: 201C511F

SilverSurfer95
04-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Hey, I was thinking,

Would anyone with a Cingular account be willing to call for me? I'll give you the IMEI and we can discuss some form of compensation for helping me out.

Get back to me if you're interested.

PIN: 201C511F
I pinned you.

yunone
04-10-2006, 09:49 AM
if you buy the device outright from Cingular Wireless they will unlock it for you. They have their own policies, etc and one of the ways to get it unlocked is to buy it outright. IF you didnt buy it outright and are under contract, you have to be a good standing customer for i believe its 90 days and then you can request a subsidy unlock code for the device.

actually, i found some of their policy stuff online from their website

There are only five basic valid qualifying conditions:*
The handset was purchased at the full retail price.
The handset was purchased at a discounted (subsidized) price during activation or an upgrade, and the contract period is complete or the account cancelled and an ETF has been paid.
The handset was purchased at a discounted (subsidized) price and the contract period is not complete but the customer has qualified for and has an International Roaming feature on their account which is in good standing, and the new equipment has been active for 90 continuous days.
The handset was purchased at a reduced price for Prepaid (GoPhone or other PIB price), and the new equipment has been active for 90 continuous days.
A third party has obtained a handset that fits one of the above conditions.

here is something confusing i found on their site

"Cingular does not offer subsidy unlock codes for RIM Blackberry devices."

they unlocked mine for me for international travel, so I know thats not true..but i do own the device outright

hope that helps

takeshi
04-10-2006, 10:54 AM
Keep in mind that it may take several attempts to get a device unlocked if you paid full retail. Cingular's reps aren't entirely consistent. If one tells you that they won't unlock it, hang up, call back and try again. You may need to fax in a copy of your invoice as proof.

gsmps
04-10-2006, 12:21 PM
I know this is not encouraging news for you but If I cannot supply you a code for a Cingular 8700c either can Cingular.

ref18
04-10-2006, 12:54 PM
I know this is not encouraging news for you but If I cannot supply you a code for a Cingular 8700c either can Cingular.

Cingular can request it from RIM.

Can you?

Beton
04-10-2006, 09:53 PM
I pinned you.

Iam also intrested in tring yo do something, Adam also told me no code for my brand new BB. Can u pin me and let me know if we can arrange something?

PIN: 20269242

Thks

saitoh
04-11-2006, 04:16 PM
This is especially frustrating for Former AT&T customers; the rep I spoke to on the phone said that AT&T "never unlocks" their phones.... grrr...

yunone
04-11-2006, 04:21 PM
thats true...former att wireless devices will not be unlocked from Cingular :(

DuckWingDuck
04-11-2006, 05:13 PM
I think part of the reason is that they may not be able to. Maybe that stuff never got transitioned from ATT to Cingular..

NJBlackBerry
04-11-2006, 05:15 PM
Actually, AT&T Wireless *never* unlocked their BBs. When they became Cingular, the practice simply continued.

DuckWingDuck
04-11-2006, 05:26 PM
Really? Bastards!!!

yunone
04-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Actually, AT&T Wireless *never* unlocked their BBs. When they became Cingular, the practice simply continued.

this is incorrect....Blue never unlocked their devices, now with Cingular<orange> there is a policy to not unlock any RIM devices, but the twist is they will if you fit into one of the previously posted requirements. One of my previous posts has the Cingular policy.... How do i know this? because mine was unlocked from Cingular...

NJBlackBerry
04-11-2006, 05:28 PM
Yup. Awful from day one. In the beginning Cingular sold all their "international" BBs unlocked. It was great. Continued until after they bought AT&T Wireless. Then they started locking them.

NJBlackBerry
04-11-2006, 05:29 PM
this is incorrect....Blue never unlocked their devices, now with Cingular<orange> there is a policy to not unlock any RIM devices, but the twist is they will if you fit into one of the previously posted requirements. One of my previous posts has the Cingular policy.... How do i know this? because mine was unlocked from Cingular...
So you were able to get Cingular to unlock an AT&T Blackberry for you. Fascinating.

yunone
04-11-2006, 05:31 PM
no, i dont believe thats what i typed. I typed Cingular will not unlock blue devices, they will unlock orange devices

NJBlackBerry
04-11-2006, 05:34 PM
I never posted that Cingular would not unlock devices.

"Actually, AT&T Wireless *never* unlocked their BBs. When they became Cingular, the practice simply continued" - Cingular will not unlock AT&T Wireless BlackBerrys. That was what I meant.

Yes, Cingular will unlock Cingular BlackBerrys. But they will not unlock AT&T BlackBerrys. That practice continued.

yunone
04-11-2006, 05:36 PM
great, now everyone is on the same page, now addressing the original posters concern, yes his device can be unlocked from cingular if he qualifies or meets one of the policies i posted earlier.... i still dont get why cingular says they wont unlock RIM BB devices and then goes onto say how to get your device unlocked.... Must be a lot of republican policymakers at cingular :)

ChrisUtley
04-11-2006, 08:18 PM
And, by the way, no need to get all worked up. I have had the same thing happen to me and dealt with it.

You are brave soul. If only we could all be strong like you.

astcell
04-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Why do they even lock the devices. As long as you pay your bill each month what do they care.

coreyg510
04-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Its another way for the providers to make their money

tfaz1
04-11-2006, 11:03 PM
You are brave soul. If only we could all be strong like you.

Chris, is that really your first and only post in the forum or are you just hiding behind a new handle? It's just that picking a fight seems like an odd way to start your membership here at BlackBerryForums.

I guess my comment must've really had an effect on you. So much that you went through the entire registration process just give me a good piece of your mind. At any rate, I look forward to more pertinent contributions from you in the days to come.

To defend my comment... When I see exclamation points, I am trained by my years of study to think the author is conveying urgency. When I see four in a row, this says emergency to me. All I meant to point out was that not being able to unlock your stinking BlackBerry is hardly an emergency. If someone thinks it is, then they need much more help than any cell phone, PDA or the like can provide.

So yes, you're right. I hope you are strong like me in this regard. It would be a sad state of affairs if you aren't.

saitoh
04-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Chris, is that really your first and only post in the forum or are you just hiding behind a new handle? It's just that picking a fight seems like an odd way to start your membership here at BlackBerryForums.

I guess my comment must've really had an effect on you. So much that you went through the entire registration process just give me a good piece of your mind. At any rate, I look forward to more pertinent contributions from you in the days to come.

To defend my comment... When I see exclamation points, I am trained by my years of study to think the author is conveying urgency. When I see four in a row, this says emergency to me. All I meant to point out was that not being able to unlock your stinking BlackBerry is hardly an emergency. If someone thinks it is, then they need much more help than any cell phone, PDA or the like can provide.

So yes, you're right. I hope you are strong like me in this regard. It would be a sad state of affairs if you aren't.

lol

The AT&T policy is unreasonable, to say the least. I was really looking forward to being able to use my phone overseas later on..

Just to clarify then, if Cingular cannot unlock it, then neither can gsmphonesource or any of those other unlocking services?

txschafers
05-01-2006, 10:23 AM

3 Select “Options”
5 Type “MEPD”
6 Type “MEP2”
7 Enter the Unlock Code
XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX

8 Press enter

Best of luck.

I have my unlock code from Cingular but am confused on the process. I did steps 1 - 4 but when I select SIM Card I see Seciruty disabled. I have an ID which has a 20 digit number in it. Below that is my phone number. How do I enter the MEPD text sicne it does not show anywhere when I type it?

txschafers
05-01-2006, 11:06 AM
I have my unlock code from Cingular but am confused on the process. I did steps 1 - 4 but when I select SIM Card I see Seciruty disabled. I have an ID which has a 20 digit number in it. Below that is my phone number. How do I enter the MEPD text sicne it does not show anywhere when I type it?

I think it worked. When I clicke don SIM Card I jusy typed MEPD and the screen display changed. I typed in MEP2 and it asked me for the code. I entered it and the response was accepted. I rebooted and the phone is still working. How do I verify it is truly unlocked? Is there any way other then putting in a non-Cingular SIM Card?

ian_718
05-01-2006, 11:35 AM
hey how long did it take you to get your bb unlocked???

i just got 1 ystrday and already wan to jump thru the phone and choke the ppl @<hidden> cingular

justin.culp
05-01-2006, 11:39 AM
I think it worked. When I clicke don SIM Card I jusy typed MEPD and the screen display changed. I typed in MEP2 and it asked me for the code. I entered it and the response was accepted. I rebooted and the phone is still working. How do I verify it is truly unlocked? Is there any way other then putting in a non-Cingular SIM Card?

In the SIM options, type MEPD and if the network does not say ACTIVE...you are unlocked.

txschafers
05-01-2006, 02:24 PM
In the SIM options, type MEPD and if the network does not say ACTIVE...you are unlocked.

all of mine say disabled so I guess I am unlocked....YIPEEEEE!! (y)

txschafers
05-01-2006, 02:26 PM
hey how long did it take you to get your bb unlocked???

i just got 1 ystrday and already wan to jump thru the phone and choke the ppl @<hidden> cingular

I called and made the request and received the unlock code 2 days later. I have been a Cingular Blue ( now Orange ) customer for over a year so I am sure that helped. they can also see from my phone usage that I travel alot internationally. Was actually pretty painless.

ian_718
05-01-2006, 09:10 PM
thanks TX.. but im not a cingular customer. i just have the phone.

but that customer service they have is insane. i cant belive it. espically @<hidden> this day and age !

****ing insane to me

ericf
05-01-2006, 09:13 PM

DONT GIVE UP>>>>>

I also have one but have TMobile service......I called the number listed below for intl cust care at cingular and told them i paid FULL retail price for it. They made me send in a receipt and some other things.......about 2 weeks later I got an email with the unlock code (after i was ready to give up as I also tried gsmphonesource etc and they couldnt get the code either).

It just took a lil while, but WORTH THE WAIT!!

taeisme
05-01-2006, 09:42 PM
I called and within 5 minutes they gave me the code.

ian_718
05-02-2006, 07:36 AM
Really... howd that work.. did they walk you through it ?

and what # did you call ??

please shed some light on this for me ?

SilverSurfer95
05-02-2006, 07:56 AM
Same thing happened with me. I am either lucky or whatever. the instructions had been posted to do the unlock. BE VERY CAUTIOUS!!! YOU HAVE FOUR (4) TRIES BEFORE YOU LOCK UP THE PHONE!!!

Instructions:
==========
Cingular unlock for Blackberry 8700c
<<20 digit code>>

Insert Cingular SIM into device

Power phone on and Turn off the radio (Turn Wireless Off option) VERY
IMPORTANT.

Select “Options”

Scroll down and select “SIM Card”

Type “MEPD”

Type “MEP2”

Enter Unlock Code: <<20 digit code>>

Press enter

Reboot device. Device is now unlocked.

taeisme
05-02-2006, 08:00 AM
I called the customer support number 800-331-0500 and asked for the code. She tranferred me to BB support and she gave me the code told me to write it down and then she stepped me through the unlock process and it took all of 5 minutes.

azmmza
05-04-2006, 03:58 PM
i got the same **** and bull story form cingular today.
"we do not unlock blackberrys"
called back was given the code but agent did not know how to "enter" it
i did a search here and BINGO
thanks BBF

now im off to install diff user software cingular theme is dull