PDA

View Full Version : Scratched up Screen

bbrogan
02-08-2005, 01:40 PM
I was wondering if there is any way to replace the screen on the 7100? I waited too long to put a protector on and it got all messed up. Thanks

bigtar
02-08-2005, 06:47 PM
I keep mine in the provided holster and still get scratches. Maybe some plastic polish will take out the shallow ones

dshafiee
02-08-2005, 07:05 PM
I have used McGuire's Plastic Scratch remover, and it works great! You can get it at most auto stores.

bigtar
02-08-2005, 09:12 PM
I know from my jeep windows that there are cleaners and polishers. I'd start with the cleaner first, buff it out and have a look. Only go for the stiff one if you need it.

guinda35
02-08-2005, 11:08 PM
And then spring for a good screen protector. They work like a charm and you never have to worry. You can almost be tempted to play shuffleboard with it. Why I have mine encase in a metal holder, like a flat knight in armor, and I'm tempted to use it as a hockey puck sometimes (without slap shots).

zbose
02-20-2005, 02:29 PM
I have used McGuire's Plastic Scratch remover, and it works great! You can get it at most auto stores.

Have you actually tried it on the screen of the 7100? I got a big, but shallow scratch on mine from the case itself (wtf!) and I want to try this before I put a screen protector on it. I have only heard of McGuire's Scratch X being used on cars...

sempai
02-20-2005, 03:33 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't work. The best way to polish an iPod is using Brasso for crying out loud! :)

veeceeonefive
02-20-2005, 05:34 PM
...is there a difference between 7100r and 7100t screen finishes?

reason i ask is, i went jogging last week, having accidentally put my 7100r unprotected into the pocket which also held my keys.

45 minutes of vigour later, and the 7100r emerges...as pristine and unscratched as the day i bought it.

seems like the 7100t might be a mite more delicate?

zbose
02-20-2005, 10:20 PM
Well, I will confirm that this method does indeed work. I used Meguiar's Scratch X from Target to successfully remove 2 very annoying scratches that were a result of a plastic thread in the BlackBerry case. It took about 5 or 6 applications of the Scratch X with an oakley microfiber sunglasses bag to get the scratch where I couldn't see it anymore. I then used the Radio Shack digital camera screen protectors to custom fit a screen protector to the screen... which is hard as hell to do and I used 3 out of the 4 to get it on there without any super annoying dust or bubbles... at least they are cheap! Also, if you use scratch X and the Radio Shack screen protectors, DON'T use the alcohol cleaning pads... I think they reacted with the Scratch X and made my screen fog up. I had to re-apply the scratch X to clear it back up. I then wiped it off with water and the oakley bag.

The scratch X does not damage the screen in the slightest (as far as I can tell) but I am not an expert so you are doing this at your own risk :)

-zbose

zbose
02-20-2005, 10:21 PM

reason i ask is, i went jogging last week, having accidentally put my 7100r unprotected into the pocket which also held my keys.

45 minutes of vigour later, and the 7100r emerges...as pristine and unscratched as the day i bought it.

I don't know if there are or not, but I had a 7100G and it got scratched from the stupid case that is meant to protect it!

whome?
02-22-2005, 04:11 PM
Where can I find a screen protector fo the 7100g?
Thanks!

mbn
02-22-2005, 11:53 PM
www.screenguardz.com

I don't think they have one labeled specifically for any other 7100 model other than the T. I just bought some- I'll post in a few days when I get them.

Is the 7100t screen the same size (exactly) as the 7100g? If so, these should work...

Bratag
02-23-2005, 01:15 PM
www.screenguardz.com

I don't think they have one labeled specifically for any other 7100 model other than the T. I just bought some- I'll post in a few days when I get them.

Is the 7100t screen the same size (exactly) as the 7100g? If so, these should work...

I was involved in getting the size just right for these - I use them myself and they work great. Bit of work to get the air bubbles out but apart from that no problems at all.

roofus
02-23-2005, 06:42 PM

the're identical except for the colour scheme.

decepticon
02-23-2005, 07:54 PM
I had a bottle of CD scratch remover and tried it one day, it works wonders. I can also confirm McGuiers plastic polish does an amazing job. Take your time, apply multiple times, and use a lint free sunglass wipe to apply and buff with. I promisse it will turn out like factory.

Taikun
03-16-2006, 09:38 PM
would these cleaner work on the *ahem* ipod too?

KonTiki
03-16-2006, 09:49 PM
Displex is the best scratch remover i have ever tried.

ChuckieZ
03-17-2006, 09:50 AM
If you know a pilot, get your hands on an aircraft windscreen scratch removal kit. They all have em, cause they're required or something.

Anyway, the kit I got has like 15 different grits of sandpaper, with the last one being almost as smooth as rubber. It takes some elbow grease, but those things can get your screen looking as fine as the day it was made. The key is to shave down the plastic to the deepest part of the deepest scratch before you start bringing it back up towards polished.

I've tried a few different screen protectors from a couple different companies, and the one I like the best is the one made by Javo Edge.