PDA

View Full Version : Voice dial on 8700c?

K-Mack
04-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Well, I did a search but didn't find much info. Has anyone heard if this will be included in any future OS updates?

Thanks!

coreyg510
04-09-2006, 09:36 AM
Not heard that voice dial will become a standard feature, although it would be nice.

Cingular does have a voicedial feature that can be added to your plan for 4.99 a month. you can set up a voice dial list and access it plus other features by dialing only *8

mgerbasio
04-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Cingular does have a voicedial feature that can be added to your plan for 4.99 a month. you can set up a voice dial list and access it plus other features by dialing only *8

The downside is that you don't get M2M on calls you make with VoiceDial. MS VoiceCommand for the PocketPC is exactly what the BB needs. Has excellent voice recognition and announces caller information for incoming calls. Perfect for using the phone while wearing a headset.

Regards-Michael G.

rickthornton
04-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Hopefully there is a developer out there working on this. I'm confident there are many BB users who would love to have this capability (and would be willing to pay a reasonable amount for it).

My last few non BB phones had voice dial capablity and it is one feature that I very much miss.

:bb:

hf1khal
04-09-2006, 12:34 PM
May be Poll should be made here on Voice Dial and be submitted to RIM for their strong consideration. How about it Mods?

K-Mack
04-09-2006, 03:16 PM
I'm not real sure why RIM would leave off such a popular feature other than the fact that they seem to lean towards focusing their attention on the PDA side rather than the phone side of the device. I will be purchasing an 8700c soon and I know this feature will be dearly missed.

efbatey
05-02-2006, 09:20 AM
The RIM wizzard at T-Mobile said she thought it was for security that voice-dialing was excluded. Same as for the absent camera. As an employee of a big shop which prohibits camera phones. That forced me from my great Nokia 6800, full keyboard, voice dialing phone.

SO .. For my 8700g .. DO ANY / all the $200 to $500 (damn pricey) external voice dialers work? Thank you ..

DuckWingDuck
05-02-2006, 10:40 AM
Is voice dialing all that important that you'd even contemplate spending $200 to $500? I've got voice dialing on my V3 and I can honestly say, I've never used it.

billy hutchison
05-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Voice dialing which WORKS is necessary for the BB. Your V3 doesn't has it, but you can touch-dial because the keypad is large enough - you've not been forced to use it. BB's, due to their nature, require a bit more work to dial - and when you're in the car, that's a little more dangerous. I would pay for an on-board voice dialer - I had the Cingular voice dialer and was really unimpressed with it. The voice dialer that Sprint offered (in spite of Sprint-evil) was really, really good.

efbatey
05-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Been in cell phone world since beginning AND I really hate being without my Nokia voice dialing. VERY big safety item for me.

DuckWingDuck
05-02-2006, 12:08 PM
True about the safety aspect, hadn't thought about that.

FGUTZEL
07-03-2006, 03:44 PM
I do own a 8700c and had voice dialing on my previous phone. It was a nice feature to have, even though sometimes it was tough to use in the car due to background noise. I really don't miss it that much since I have speed dialing set up on my BlackBerry.

soundscore2
07-04-2006, 12:49 AM
this is MY ISSUE: I have been on this forum (great btw) trying to figuire this Voicedialing thing out. Had a 7290. Was wrestling with Treo 650 or BB8700 (we are on cingular). ALMMMMOst got the Treo 650 for the voicedialing and the camera. But was dissuaded by several people, including a very nice guy on this forum who works with Cingular. He said 650 dropped calls, didn't have push email and was not nearly as stable a device. Plus phone quality not great.

I want the ability to vd through a BT earpiece. I go to different cities on sales trips and to have that would be huge. I am constantly switching out the company that starts with the same letter (M for example) when I go to the different city, so it is a pain. camera would be good for moment capture.

The cool guy here (jdjleo or something like that) said that the only two PDA's worth their weight are BB8700 and another PDA Palm based smartphone called an 8125. That will voicedial and is supposed to be good.

I also have read reviews on a motorola that is somewhere between the treo and bberry and will do voicedialling. Also play STEREO mp3's through bluetooth....

no push email tho, and slightly cumbersome navigation system.

How much of a deal breaker is the no voicedial for you?

thx, soundscore

lgreenberg
07-04-2006, 07:12 AM
I struggle with the lack of voice dial.

I used a Motorola v710 a year or two ago and man was that thing great. I could voice dial any address in my phonebook through the BT headset. I could manually speak a number through the BT headset and it would dial it. All without any voice training or voice tags.

I've enabled Cingular's Voice Dial feature on my account but often don't use it. Since you can't dial directly from the BT headset I usually just end up searching for the number I need or using on of the speed dial keys to make a call.

It's certainly not a "deal breaker" for me personally but it's something I wished was better.

wclyffe
07-04-2006, 08:39 AM
I spoke with this company and they are working on voice dialing for the 8700 right now. I had voice dialing with 60 contacts up on the Sprint network and it worked pretty well. You could assign nicknames to anyone so there was no confusion in distinguishing between names.

Check it out:

http://mobilevoicecontrol.com/

hf1khal
07-04-2006, 12:23 PM
I spoke with this company and they are working on voice dialing for the 8700 right now. I had voice dialing with 60 contacts up on the Sprint network and it worked pretty well. You could assign nicknames to anyone so there was no confusion in distinguishing between names.

Check it out:

http://mobilevoicecontrol.com/

This is what they said 8 months ago. I doubt that they are doing anything about this. Remember you need to upload your phone book to their server for this to happen.

AlbertoM
07-04-2006, 01:24 PM
The V3 does not have voice dialing per se. You can assign voice tags to individual names, for example "Dad" to your father's name and so forth. What lgreenberg discribed is what the V3i and others have, speaker independent voice dial, where the software recognizes (usually very accurately) any name in the phonebook, so stating "Roger Smith" or "Rigoberto Martínez" would cause it to find those names. Such program in a BB would be ideal for driving and other conditions which merit one's attention. At this time the only options for BB are not resident on the BB.

psyct1
08-22-2006, 09:24 AM
just searched for voice dialing in this topic, and stumbled across this thread... does anyone by chance know of anything coming out for this?

i agree with what one guy said about that treo voice dialing, i have a treo 650 and i HATED it, it was a great palm pilot, but sucked as a phone, constantly dropped calls, so i got the 8700 hoping that it would at least be "voice tag dial" enabled, and was disappointed when i found it didn't...

a 3rd party program would be nice, like the program (that IS NOT FREE, for the Treo 650 called VoiceSignal Voice dial, no training necessary but, you needed to touch the phone to enable it, just assign it a hot key... but, you need to speak into the phone, because with the treo, the headset was not "bonded" with the treo until you were in a call, or a call was coming in... which kind of does away with the "hands free" concept...

p1nk50ck
08-22-2006, 09:54 AM
just searched for voice dialing in this topic, and stumbled across this thread... does anyone by chance know of anything coming out for this?

i agree with what one guy said about that treo voice dialing, i have a treo 650 and i HATED it, it was a great palm pilot, but sucked as a phone, constantly dropped calls, so i got the 8700 hoping that it would at least be "voice tag dial" enabled, and was disappointed when i found it didn't...

a 3rd party program would be nice, like the program (that IS NOT FREE, for the Treo 650 called VoiceSignal Voice dial, no training necessary but, you needed to touch the phone to enable it, just assign it a hot key... but, you need to speak into the phone, because with the treo, the headset was not "bonded" with the treo until you were in a call, or a call was coming in... which kind of does away with the "hands free" concept...

cliff, your signature pwns you :razz:

psyct1
08-22-2006, 12:43 PM
cliff, your signature pwns you :razz:
did you do the upgrade yet Jay?

sdetweil
08-22-2006, 11:51 PM
I need voice dial for safety reasons in the car.. without my glasses I cannot read the screen.. with my glasses I can't drive.. (and I've tried the BF thing, and they make me seasick)..

Sam

Bulkhead
09-29-2006, 03:47 PM
I recently upgraded from an older "blueberry" which had HORRIBLE phone functionality to the new 8700c with service provided by Cingular.

I am dissapointed that the device is not much of an upgrade in functionality and that I had to pay 200 bucks for it. The phone is admittedly MUCH better and the speakerphone is very good. I did get a BT earpiece which is very useful. I previously had to wear the wired earpiece to even hear the person on a call on the older device.

As for voicedialing - I am firmly in the camp of folks who strongly want to see voice-recognition functionality in the device. With that feature, the bb would be clearly the best mobile communication tool on the market - IMHO.